Interview Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJ2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I was thinking that we all take the good with the bad. In that vein of thought, I thought that starting a thread about interview rejections (as the forum had last year) would be good too because we would all have an idea about which programs send out rejections versus those that just never send any notification. Also, we would be able to show that regardless of rejections, we will be okay. I am very happy for all my interview invites so I will be the first to say that I was rejected by CHOP today, my first rejection. It stung a bit, but I cannot be mad at all as I am lucky to have even one interview invite. Good luck everyone in this crazy application process!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry about your rejection DrJ2B. Regardless of the fact that this is an anonymous forum, I think it was brave of you to start this thread. I'll be sure to post when my inevitable rejections arrive. Good luck with the rest of the application process!

I too have been rejected by CHOP.

Members don't see this ad :)
does CHOP use USMLE cut-offs? here's to hoping they don't!

I'm glad someone made this thread! I need to vent.

So I'm applying regionally, and one of the programs I applied to was Kalamazoo/MSU (That's in Michigan, btw)... They sent me a regret letter saying they received over 1200 applicants and couldn't therefore, interview me. I was flabbergasted. Not that I didn't get an interview (I don't really want to be in Kzoo anyways...) but that 1200 people applied to a smaller, community program. Last year, according to NRMP stats, there were 2400 peds applicants, and that includes IMGs.

So, appx half of all applicants applied to Kalamazoo? Really? Or are there more people applying this year? Or is Kzoo more competitive than I am giving it credit for? Or are they exaggerating? Hmmmmm. This bugs me more than not getting an invite.

Also, today I got a cheery generic advert pamphlet in the mail advertizing all of Kzoo's residency progs, including peds. Doesn't seem like the Peds office needs the advertizing help.....

I'll jump onto the CHOP-rejection bandwagon.

I have no idea about Kalamazoo - I had never even heard of the program. Of course, I was also unaware Kalamazoo was in Michigan, so....

I, too, have been rejected by CHOP. Maybe we should form a support group...

I don't know if they have step 1 cutoffs, but I was looking at their site and it says you have to have taken Step 2 in order to apply, which I (and perhaps some of you) have not yet done. So maybe that played a role in not getting an interview there...although they certainly may have decided to reject me based on my merits alone.

Oh well, I'm grateful for the interviews I do have. Although there are a few more programs I still hope to get invites from in the next few weeks. Good luck everyone! :luck:

I didn't have step 2 yet either. So, it could be the reason for my CHOP rejection. But I spoke to the director over the summertime when I did a rotation there and he said, I'd have to take it by Nov/Dec. So that is what I thought was strange. But I'm not mad.

I too don't know about Kzoo, but don't sleep on the smaller programs. I just went on an interview that I knew nothing about and I just knew that it wouldn't fit what I was looking for. Long story short, I was thoroughly impressed that they have better stats than the program nearby that is ranked in US News and World Report. So I can't wait for my interview in a few weeks with that ranked program to compare and contrast.

My lesson for this process is to treat the smaller unknown programs just like the larger known ones because they might have qualities that are lacking in larger programs that might appeal to you and be a better fit.

Good luck to you all.

i was rejected from CHOP as well, im glad that they at least send out notifications so that you are not waiting for a reply - have any people heard from NY schools (columbia, NY, cornell in particular)?

Hey eag--just wondering what they said about the Nov/Dec cutoff....I actually did receive an invitation to interview there, and am planning on taking step 2 in nov/dec sometime. It's just kind of a weird cutoff to have.........

i was rejected from CHOP as well, im glad that they at least send out notifications so that you are not waiting for a reply - have any people heard from NY schools (columbia, NY, cornell in particular)?

I called Cornell last week and I was told that they would wait for the Dean's letter and then send out interview invites. I applied to 5 programs in NYC and have yet to hear from any of them, even though I am a resident and went to one of the schools for undergrad. Good luck with everything! :)

Hey eag--just wondering what they said about the Nov/Dec cutoff....I actually did receive an invitation to interview there, and am planning on taking step 2 in nov/dec sometime. It's just kind of a weird cutoff to have.........

Well, there goes my rationale for not getting an interview :)
If you are taking it by Nov/Dec, you should be ok according to Tony Mauro. I think to be on the safe side, you might want to aim for Nov. But when you go on the interview ask about that to make sure you don't get screwed come match time. I know I'll be asking about that because I'm concerned that some programs may have a problem with me taking it on the later side.

I didn't have step 2 yet either. So, it could be the reason for my CHOP rejection. But I spoke to the director over the summertime when I did a rotation there and he said, I'd have to take it by Nov/Dec. So that is what I thought was strange. But I'm not mad.

I was invited to CHOP before taking Step 2, but had indicated on my ERAS that i would take it in october...
sorry about your rejection:(

have any people heard from NY schools (columbia, NY, cornell in particular)?

yes

good luck on your interviews!

Members don't see this ad :)
any idea how long CHOP prolongs the agony before they send the rejection? I hadn't applied there originally and just added it 2 weeks ago. Got an acknowledgment last week but that's it so far so I'm still holding out hope! I was just curious. And mad respect to all of you in this thread - being honest is definitely not easy to do on a forum. And as a corollary, did any of you get St Chris invites? I got mine a few weeks ago (before I'd added CHOP even), so hopefully I can still make it to Philly one way or another :)

any idea how long CHOP prolongs the agony before they send the rejection? I hadn't applied there originally and just added it 2 weeks ago. Got an acknowledgment last week but that's it so far so I'm still holding out hope! I was just curious. And mad respect to all of you in this thread - being honest is definitely not easy to do on a forum. And as a corollary, did any of you get St Chris invites? I got mine a few weeks ago (before I'd added CHOP even), so hopefully I can still make it to Philly one way or another :)

I heard from CHOP 2 weeks after the acknowledgement. I did get St. Chris.

Rejection #2: OHSU/Portland

I called about my status on Monday and I guess I expedited the process for myself. :rolleyes: It is all good in da hood.

Good luck everyone!

Two rejections in one day. I did it to myself anyway. :p I called for my status at Cincy and was told I would not be offered an interview. I called a few other places as well and left a message. I would rather know now and not have to worry about it later on. Most of the places I am waiting to hear from will wait until after the Dean's letter is submitted.

FYI: For those waiting to hear from Tufts, they sent their first round of interviews last Friday and will be sending another bunch this Friday.

As always, good luck everyone! :D

I got rejection #2 from Columbia. Again, I'm not mad because only 2 rejections of the 15 programs I have heard from thus far is not too shabby. :)

Rejection #2: OHSU/Portland

I called about my status on Monday and I guess I expedited the process for myself. :rolleyes: It is all good in da hood.

Good luck everyone!

Hey DrJ2B! Sorry about the double blow today. I'm sure it will all work out in the end though.....that's what everyone keeps telling me.

I feel bad for asking, but I was wondering how long your application had been complete (minus the Dean's letter).

I hope the rest of your week gets better!

wow looks like this was oregon's day - i got their rejection too. my only true rejection so far so oh well :)

I was also not granted an interview at CHOP. Oh well. Good luck with interviews everyone :)

Is CHOP planning to actually have a residency this year? Doesn't seem like there are a lot of people even getting interviews.

I'm curious whether Boston Children's does real rejections or just passive ones, that's really the only hardcore program I applied to, and therefore the least likely to actually interview me.

Got my rejection from CHOP today too....oh well....I dont wanna go to their stupid program anyway....hahah...:p

Does it count when I selected the box in ERAS that I'd like to notify the program that I was withdrawing my application, and then three days later I get a rejection e-mail? :)

Does it count when I selected the box in ERAS that I'd like to notify the program that I was withdrawing my application, and then three days later I get a rejection e-mail? :)

No. In fact, I think YOU should have sent them a rejection email.

No. In fact, I think YOU should have sent them a rejection email.

Really? I guess I'm not sure on proper etiquitte for withdrawing an application. When I have decided to decline an interview offer, I will first reply to the interview e-mail and say thanks but I will be unable to attend an interview. Then, I go into ERAS, find that program, and mark the box saying that I would like to withdraw my application.

For this particular program, I had submitted my application back in the first week of September, hadn't had any correspondence from them in the past ~7 weeks, and so I simply went into ERAS and selected that box to notify them that I'm withdrawing my application. The program had not initiated contact with me yet.

My question to the other people on the board is: What is the most appropriate way to notify a program that you would no longer like to be considered for residency?

What is the rationale behind letting a program know that you are withdrawing your application. Do you get your money back? :confused:
I see someone doing that if they get a prematch and take it...otherwise I am confused by this action. Is this something I should be doing?

Really? I guess I'm not sure on proper etiquitte for withdrawing an application. When I have decided to decline an interview offer, I will first reply to the interview e-mail and say thanks but I will be unable to attend an interview. Then, I go into ERAS, find that program, and mark the box saying that I would like to withdraw my application.

For this particular program, I had submitted my application back in the first week of September, hadn't had any correspondence from them in the past ~7 weeks, and so I simply went into ERAS and selected that box to notify them that I'm withdrawing my application. The program had not initiated contact with me yet.

My question to the other people on the board is: What is the most appropriate way to notify a program that you would no longer like to be considered for residency?

Haha, sorry, I was just kidding around. I read your first post to mean that you'd withdrawn your application, thus rejecting THEM, so was suggesting that they should have received a rejection email from YOU, rather than the other way around. Sorry, didn't mean to suggest you'd done something wrong or whatever....stupid joke. :)

As I understand it, it's just a quick and dirty way to turn down an interview invitation? I would assume if you've already accepted and scheduled an interview, it would be more courteous to actually let them know (via e-mail or phone).

I'm glad I found out now rather than after I shelled out the cash to interview there.

I'm just more nervous about the other programs I have yet to hear from.

Rejection #4: MGH

I have to admit the e-mail was a pretty nice way to say I would not be getting an interview. I was hoping for a shot at matching in Boston, but I am still optimistic. I was hoping this would be a quiet week, but it is better to know than to be left hanging.

Good luck everyone! I hope you are faring better than me this week.

Hey, has anyone heard from UCSF? I called last week to check on my app and nobody answered after repeated calls, so I finally left a message and sent an email. Now today I called and the voicemail for the program was full!

I noticed on the invitations thread that a few people have interviews...anyone know what's going on???

Rejection #2 - Columbia

Rejection #3 - Nationwide Children's ("If openings become available, I will contact you as soon as possible to set-up an interview." - interview waitlist maybe????) :laugh:

Whatever the case, I'm still proud of my overall performance thus far!

Just got MGH too - oh well no surprise there...

Hey, has anyone heard from UCSF? I called last week to check on my app and nobody answered after repeated calls, so I finally left a message and sent an email. Now today I called and the voicemail for the program was full!

I noticed on the invitations thread that a few people have interviews...anyone know what's going on???

I haven't heard from or contacted UCSF. It seems like there are a lot of people applying to a lot of programs this year (especially considering their voicemailbox is full). They are probably processing applications as fast as they can.....and waiting for Dean's Letter's before making final decisions on some applications.

I noticed several people had heard from Denver and Cali schools re: interview offers... I received most of my invites fairly early, but haven't heard from these schools either way. Anybody receive rejections from Denver, Stanford, UCSF, or UCSD? just curious.

Yup, feeling the killing me softly rejection from Colorado as well.

Dear Denver,
You wrote me a very nice rejection letter.
Sincerely,
DocStretch

when did you all get your denver rejections?

when did you all get your denver rejections?

My Colorado rejection was around noon eastern. Funny story though, I just withdrew my application from Stanford this morning through ERAS, and this afternoon I received a rejection email. They probably planned it earlier, but it feels like I beat them to the punch. It is nice to be solidifying my plans for interviewing either way though. I would much rather have a rejection than a pity interview with no realistic chance of a match.

Got my Stanford rejection today...man, this is demoralizing. I was all excited that the dean's letter would mean more interviews, but so far this is all I've heard this week. I guess we'll see what the next 2 weeks or so brings...

No big surprise there, but I had to try.

I got waitlisted at Cornell today. Anyone know if that is essentially a rejection? It is one of the programs I am really considering for residency and I would love an interview there if possible. Thanks!

Vanderbilt today...and still no post-MSPE interview offers yet. :(

Rejected from Brown (Hasbro Children's) jsut a couple days ago.

Doesn't bode well for Boston Children's.

Vanderbilt today...and still no post-MSPE interview offers yet. :(

Same here! I haven't gotten any in over 3 weeks...kind of annoying.