Audition after interview rejection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Audition after interview rejection?

• Still do the rotation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cancel the rotation

Votes: 15 100.0%

• Total voters

Mash43

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Would anyone consider doing an audition/Sub-I at a program that was originally at the top of your list but already rejected you for an interview?

Audition is set for the end of January to mid-February. So technically would be after interview season. By that metric, it was a long shot anyway but now not sure it makes any sense. Especially considering the cost of housing, food and all that while doing an away. I suppose the only logic would be that a mind-blowing performance and a meeting with the PD and/or having someone vouch for you could get you an interview before the rank list is due but chances are slim?

What are your thoughts? Would anybody go through with this rotation still or cut your losses and move on?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Cut your losses. It’s very difficult to be impressive on away rotations and you’re very unlikely to be so impressive that they overlook whatever they didn’t like in your application to rank you to match. It sounds like a giant expenditure of time and money for a tiny shot. Also, by the time you’re doing the away, they’re already making and submitting their rank list.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I would agree with the above unless the specific situation of the rotation that you are doing is incredibly good and well known for its teaching and opportunities. Outside of that, it isn’t going to help your chances in the residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nah fam. Be done with it. They were most likely aware you would be rotating and still rejected you.

I don't know that I would even want an interview, let alone a rotation, at a program without the decency to at least offer an interview if you're willing to come rotate with them...

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know that I would even want an interview, let alone a rotation, at a program without the decency to at least offer an interview if you're willing to come rotate with them...

It’s not that they lack decency, it’s just that they don’t want to waste everyone’s time. If they offer a “courtesy” interview, what do you think the chances are that the person will march there?

It’s not that they lack decency, it’s just that they don’t want to waste everyone’s time. If they offer a “courtesy” interview, what do you think the chances are that the person will march there?

If a candidate is willing to spend an entire month with a program (especially in a field where aways are not the norm) and they're still just going to write them off before even meeting them, that reflects poorly on the program to me. The candidate is there for a month, the investment required to complete an interview is minimal.