Interview Invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In case this is helpful for others this year or in the future:
Baystate Medical Center - invited 1/9
Boston Medical Center - waitlisted 1/15
Brigham and Women's - rejected 1/17
Hartford Hospital and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center - both invited 1/21
UMass Memorial - rejected 1/31

Seems like most of these programs invite about 1/4 applicants to interview.

I'm strong in many areas - 3.9+ GPA, several leadership rolls, a good amount of community service, tons of research experience and 4 peer-reviewed publications (I used to be a chemist, so my research background started there). I know that my "fatal flaw" is my complete lack of pharmacy work experience (outside rotations). I attend an "accelerated" 3-year PharmD program and have a small child at home, so getting a pharmacy job didn't seem like a realistic pursuit until last summer, and by then, pharmacies were only interested in hiring me if I expressed a strong interest in working for their company after graduation. I'm an honest person, so that's not something I could tell prospective employers when my heart was set on doing a residency.

I submitted my application in early January and got the same reply that they would contact me after their deadline. It's probably a rejection, but it's hard to tell since their deadline was so late! Some of these other programs have thrown me for a loop and it's different for each program and how they approach the application process!

Same. I still haven't heard from 5 programs, I am assuming they are rejections.

My favorite program said they would let us know within a week or two if we got an interview or not and i still havent heard anything (today was 2 week mark) eeek

huskypharm i have not heard from James H. Quillen VA Medical Center (Mountain Home, TN) either. got the email saying they had my stuff/would hear back in a week or so but haven't heard anything yet

Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't heard from the VA... I'm starting to get more and more nervous about the interviews I do have. It's so weird, I heard back so quickly from some places, but then I have yet to hear anything from 5 hospitals. I received a rejection from Jackson Memorial in Miami, but that was a huge reach. The email said something along the lines of 'they would let me know if any interview spots opened up later on'... I'm not really sure what that means. I doubt any will since I feel as if that program would be extremely competitive. Perhaps it is just a nice way to reject an applicant?

I'm starting to feel like I should've applied for fellowships. I have zero paid hospital work experience, 1/3rd of the way through an MBA degree, and all of my electives from pharmacy school are less clinical in nature (they're more managed care/industry related). I was also very involved in those types of student organizations. I can see why they might be skeptical that I am sincerely interested in clinical work from my application alone. I feel as if my LOI can only express so much. I probably could've done a better job on the letter, but I wasn't sure if I should actually explain and call attention to the fact that most of my experience is less clinical in nature. Oh well. It only takes one program to rank you right? I better do a really good job on these interviews since it looks like I am either a back up or rejection for the other programs. I probably should've applied to some smaller hospitals in smaller cities as well.

Same. I still haven't heard from 5 programs, I am assuming they are rejections.

My favorite program said they would let us know within a week or two if we got an interview or not and i still havent heard anything (today was 2 week mark) eeek

huskypharm i have not heard from James H. Quillen VA Medical Center (Mountain Home, TN) either. got the email saying they had my stuff/would hear back in a week or so but haven't heard anything yet
I'm going through the same thing with the VA in San Diego. They contacted me a couple weeks ago stating they have my application and that they would let me know by Jan 31 regarding an interview. Anyone receive an interview there yet?

Oh well. It only takes one program to rank you right?

Hi, can you please expand upon this? I've always thought it not only depends on if a program ranks you, but WHERE they rank you? If a program ranks a candidate #30 and the candidate ranks the program #1, wouldn't it still will be tough to match there? Thanks

Hi, can you please expand upon this? I've always thought it not only depends on if a program ranks you, but WHERE they rank you? If a program ranks a candidate #30 and the candidate ranks the program #1, wouldn't it still will be tough to match there? Thanks
As long as they rank you in the amount of positions they have available then you will match there.
I.e. if they have 3 positions available and they rank you either #1, #2, or #3, you will match.

Or, if they rank you #4 or lower (I don't know how many rankings they can submit past the number available), then you can still match if candidate #1, #2, or #3 didn't rank them, or those candidates matched with a program that they ranked higher.

Anyone heard from University of Chicago Medical Center PGY1 or University of Toledo PGY1?

As long as they rank you in the amount of positions they have available then you will match there.
I.e. if they have 3 positions available and they rank you either #1, #2, or #3, you will match.

Or, if they rank you #4 or lower (I don't know how many rankings they can submit past the number available), then you can still match if candidate #1, #2, or #3 didn't rank them, or those candidates matched with a program that they ranked higher.

So a perfect(ly unlucky) storm would be ranked just below the match cut off at every program? Liked but not liked enough.

I guess I should've been more specific. I basically meant that it only takes one place to rank you high enough. Sort of the opposite of the person who interviews at 15 different places, but doesn't match at any.

Thank you to everyone who has posted about residency interviews invites or rejections.
I applied to all VAs, and I have heard from the following by either phone or email:

VA San Francisco- Amb Care
VA Tennessee Valley Healthcare System (Nashville)
VA Louisville
VA Loma Linda
VA Central Coast (Fresno)
VA Phoenix- Amb Care

I have not heard from:
James H. Quillen VA Medical Center (Mountain Home, TN)
VA Northern California Health Care System- Amb Care (both Martinez and Sacramento programs)

Do you mind saying if VA Central Cali (Fresno) was good or bad news? I'm still waiting for them. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
My Student is interviewing at Un of Chicago

Thank you to everyone who has posted about residency interviews invites or rejections.
I applied to all VAs, and I have heard from the following by either phone or email:

VA San Francisco- Amb Care
VA Tennessee Valley Healthcare System (Nashville)
VA Louisville
VA Loma Linda
VA Central Coast (Fresno)
VA Phoenix- Amb Care

I have not heard from:
James H. Quillen VA Medical Center (Mountain Home, TN)
VA Northern California Health Care System- Amb Care (both Martinez and Sacramento programs)

I'm still waiting to hear from VA Fresno as well. Good news?! When did you hear from them?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard from a lot of places in the Baltimore/DC area specifically:

Medstar union memorial
Baltimore VA
DC VA
Sibley
Shady Grove Adventist
Reston Hospital

I heard from Medstar 3 days ago. I am waiting for UM Medical Center. Do you know if anyone hear anything from them?

Where has everyone heard from? I know the following have contacted for interviews and rejections Utah, Montana, UT, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maryland, UCSF, Arizona, tons of the VAs like all over the place, all the major Chicago place, MUSC, Ohio, MI, Stanford, Hopkins. Who else?

And all the ones with the states are the obvious univeristy medical centers

Anybody heard from Georgetown or Yale?

You heard from UM? I am still waiting for them. They contact if it's a rejection too? I don't know why they haven't said anything to me. I'm so stressed out.

I heard from Medstar 3 days ago. I am waiting for UM Medical Center. Do you know if anyone hear anything from them?
Did Medstar confirm your date and supply you the additional information? I responded right after I got the email but have yet to receive a confirmation of the date I selected.

Sibley also contacted people a few days ago.

You heard from UM? I am still waiting for them. They contact if it's a rejection too? I don't know why they haven't said anything to me. I'm so stressed out.

Lol...which UM? There are 3 in his list alone...

Did Medstar confirm your date and supply you the additional information? I responded right after I got the email but have yet to receive a confirmation of the date I selected.

Sibley also contacted people a few days ago.

Not yet. They haven't got back to me. I want to know soon too. Still waiting.

Yes, they are interviewing PGY1 already. I know they sent out some rejections for PGY2.

So they don't send out rejection for PGY-1? Well, I guess this is a rejection for me then.

I'm still waiting to hear from VA Fresno as well. Good news?! When did you hear from them?

They called me last Thursday and it was good news! Sorry it took me a little while to respond.

I also got an email from James H. Quillen (Mountain Home, TN) today, so the only program I am still waiting on (likely a rejection) are the Martinez and Sacramento ambulatory care programs.

They called me last Thursday and it was good news! Sorry it took me a little while to respond.

I also got an email from James H. Quillen (Mountain Home, TN) today, so the only program I am still waiting on (likely a rejection) are the Martinez and Sacramento ambulatory care programs.

@Rainbow fish Have you heard anything yet? I'm still waiting. :/

Congrats!

Has anyone heard from UTEP/UT Austin Cooperative PGY1 in El Paso, TX?

surprised people are still just hearing about interviews - I thought we were slow getting them out and that was almost two weeks ago. Everyone around here has already started interviewing

I have an interview Mondag and the program told me they would email me details soon (that was two weeks ago)

I need to make hotel reservations and such for Sunday, should I wait another day or email tonight asking for specifics ie start time and actual location of interview since there are various sites within the same city at this residnecy

I have an interview Mondag and the program told me they would email me details soon (that was two weeks ago)

I need to make hotel reservations and such for Sunday, should I wait another day or email tonight asking for specifics ie start time and actual location of interview since there are various sites within the same city at this residnecy
I would definitely email about which site you'll be interviewing at and explain that you're trying to find accommodations.

I'm sure they have other out of state interviewees. Maybe you slipped through the cracks?

Probably. It tends to happen frequently haha and a lot of people add an extra letter to my email.

I'm gonna do this when I get home tonight. Thanks
I would definitely email about which site you'll be interviewing at and explain that you're trying to find accommodations.

I'm sure they have other out of state interviewees. Maybe you slipped through the cracks?

My friend receive a rejection from Vidant awhile back like the 2nd week of January.

My friend receive a rejection from Vidant awhile back like the 2nd week of January.
One of my friends did as well on Jan 13th, but I have not heard anything yet. I am not sure what to think; whether there was a communication error, or I am wait-listed, etc. I am anxious to know the answer whether it's good or bad.

Thank you for the information. Do you happen to know when your friend received the invite from them? Was it a phone call or an email? I appreciate it.

My friend got the invite a few weeks back, probably around that same time. At least you haven't gotten a rejection yet like it seems some others have, means you're still in the running! ;)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'll give it a shot. I submitted my application to phorcas for a program on 12/31, and I've been waiting to hear back from them. I recently went on the match list, and they were gone. Has this happened to anyone, and does anyone know if this happens often? My application was submitted, but do we not get a notification if a program drops out?

Yes to CPMC, a couple classmates have interviewed there already.
I haven't heard anything from them. Your friends got emails or calls or snail mail from them? maybe the rejection is coming by the snail mail within this week for me . Sighhh

I haven't heard anything from them. Your friends got emails or calls or snail mail from them? maybe the rejection is coming by the snail mail within this week for me . Sighhh

That I don't know, sorry!