Interview Invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it true the phone interviews are preliminary?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the program. I know at midyear some programs such as IHS residencies said visiting the site was optional.

Yes...I have an interview in early Feb. They emailed on the 15th, the date of the deadline. I am still waiting on a couple more...anyone heard from Medical University of SC? Good luck!!

MUSC called me early last week (I think it was the 12th)

DOCRX2010... when are you going to MUSC? I'm sooo nervous about that interview. Have you heard anything about the interview process there?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got another rejection yesterday. That's 2 in 2 days. I'm not feeling so hot about myself right now. :(

I e-mailed both of the residency directors for the programs I was rejected from, and both of them were nice enough to let me know where my application was weak. One of them said that "You were ranked high in CV and average in letter of recommendations, work experience and grades. Our committee felt that you had great leadership skills but your weakness were in your grades." I have a 3.42. I guess that grades really DO matter.

The other director said "I re-looked at your application and it was extremely strong. You mentioned that you would like a position as a faculty for a school of pharmacy, and you have a lot of research background. While both you and our program would really benefit from your skills, you may find that a larger University based program is more of a perfect fit for you." This was a position at a large hospital in a fairly urban area. I don't want to go to a large University-based program - I'd rather stay in a small to medium sized city.

As an FYI, the first program had 54 applicants and are going to interview 20 (for 3 positions) and the second program had >70 applications and is going to interview 16 (also for 3 positions).

I'm starting to think that I will need to get things ready for the scramble. Wishing the rest of you the best of luck, but I'm starting to lose hope. :cry:

I got another rejection yesterday. That's 2 in 2 days. I'm not feeling so hot about myself right now. :(

I e-mailed both of the residency directors for the programs I was rejected from, and both of them were nice enough to let me know where my application was weak. One of them said that "You were ranked high in CV and average in letter of recommendations, work experience and grades. Our committee felt that you had great leadership skills but your weakness were in your grades." I have a 3.42. I guess that grades really DO matter.

The other director said "I re-looked at your application and it was extremely strong. You mentioned that you would like a position as a faculty for a school of pharmacy, and you have a lot of research background. While both you and our program would really benefit from your skills, you may find that a larger University based program is more of a perfect fit for you." This was a position at a large hospital in a fairly urban area. I don't want to go to a large University-based program - I'd rather stay in a small to medium sized city.

As an FYI, the first program had 54 applicants and are going to interview 20 (for 3 positions) and the second program had >70 applications and is going to interview 16 (also for 3 positions).

I'm starting to think that I will need to get things ready for the scramble. Wishing the rest of you the best of luck, but I'm starting to lose hope. :cry:

Don't lose hope! I got my first rejection yesterday too and yes it doesn't feel super great, but there are other programs out there and I always tell myself that everything happens for a reason and that program must have not been the right fit for me (however I WOULD have liked to interview there at least:laugh:)

That is cool that the directors emailed you back, maybe I will do the same. I think my weakness is that I have been out of school a year and in retail..:thumbdown: even though I was very active in school with EC's and had stellar LORs. Also, I live in one of the most competitive areas in the country:rolleyes:

Anyone heard from the University of Washington?

Is your Feb interview with Charleston or Atlanta? I got a reject today from Charleston.

It was at the Charleston VA. For those that have heard from MUSC do you guys have stellar GPA's and other EC's? I know that they are very competitive......Just curious if anyone would like to share.

Thanks!

Well I got my first rejection today! Ugh...it was heart wrenching just to know that you are "not wanted". It was at NE medical center in Concord, NC. While it was not my first choice, I just didn't like the we don't want you email......

i dont think its in the grades...

i had like a 2.8 at the time of application and ive gotten two interviews, one at a nationally ranked facility, one not.

I agree, I have received interview invites to most places so far that I have applied to that I have heard back from. I was borderline 3.1 ish, and dont have steller leadership positions. I think it probably has more so to do with the number of applicants a program has. If a place has 50+ applicants GPA is an easy way to narrow it down, versus a program with 15 they can probably interview most of those people. Just my opinion. Good luck everyone!

i dont think its in the grades...

i had like a 2.8 at the time of application and ive gotten two interviews, one at a nationally ranked facility, one not.

Careful, nationally ranked facility does not always equate to strong pharmacy department.

Careful, nationally ranked facility does not always equate to strong pharmacy department.

that's something I was wondering about. I've heard multiple times "where medicine is strong, pharmacy is often weak. When medicine is weak, pharmacy is often strong."

I am interviewing at a very well known medical facility. I was wondering about asking them how do they feel they break this stereotype. Do you think that's kosher? I thought it might be provocative.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my first rejection yesterday....yicck! Talk about a bad feeling! On the bright side, I had my first interview today and believe it went very well! Good luck everyone ;)

that's something I was wondering about. I've heard multiple times "where medicine is strong, pharmacy is often weak. When medicine is weak, pharmacy is often strong."

I am interviewing at a very well known medical facility. I was wondering about asking them how do they feel they break this stereotype. Do you think that's kosher? I thought it might be provocative.

There are good hospitals with strong pharmacy departments...I guess it would depend on the program. Not sure I would ask that if it was me!

Don't lose hope! I got my first rejection yesterday too and yes it doesn't feel super great, but there are other programs out there and I always tell myself that everything happens for a reason and that program must have not been the right fit for me (however I WOULD have liked to interview there at least:laugh:)

That is cool that the directors emailed you back, maybe I will do the same. I think my weakness is that I have been out of school a year and in retail..:thumbdown: even though I was very active in school with EC's and had stellar LORs. Also, I live in one of the most competitive areas in the country:rolleyes:

I just want to say that I think it's sad that those of us who are applying for residency after working as retail pharmacists are looked upon as "weak candidates". We go to work every day and practice pharmacy just like a pharmacist in any other setting. We work extremely hard every hour of every shift and are still the most accessible health care professionals. We're not "sell-outs"; I hate that view. Retail is a difficult and stressful job that still requires you to constantly use the knowledge you learned in pharmacy school. Honestly, it's not the practice setting I want for multiple reasons, but I just don't like how everyone thinks it's so easy.

Like it or not, retail pharmacy IS the face of pharmacy and should never be viewed as a point of weakness on somebody's application. In the end, we're all still pharmacists and we shouldn't be competing against one another. We should be supporting the different skills that it takes each person to work in their chosen practice setting. It also shouldn't be considered a weakness to have gained more insight into what you actually want out of career after you're already been doing it, rather than thinking about doing it.

Good luck to everyone out there with interviews, even us retail folk!! :)

anybody apply to the ohio state university medical center? the deadline was jan 1st & i still haven't heard a peep... not looking good!!!

Last edited:
I went to one interview. does anyone know how many thank you note I should send out. how much should I say in a thank you note:)

I went to one interview. does anyone know how many thank you note I should send out. how much should I say in a thank you note:)

I kept my thanks notes from pharmacy school interviews short and sweet. I thanked them for there time and then tried to include a quick note about a topic discussed in the interview. e.g. "I enjoyed discussing...with you "

Well, after the 2 rejections back-to-back I got some good news. On Friday, my #1 choice (at least prior to interviews) invited me for an interview, and yesterday I received an invite at a more local program. Unfortunately I'll still have to make two separate trips to the same city for interviews, but at least I have them!

So in total: I applied to 5 programs. I'll interview at 3, the first starting next week, and then one in the middle of February and the final one at the beginning of March. I just hope that ranking only 3 programs will still give me a shot at a match.

Well, after the 2 rejections back-to-back I got some good news. On Friday, my #1 choice (at least prior to interviews) invited me for an interview, and yesterday I received an invite at a more local program. Unfortunately I'll still have to make two separate trips to the same city for interviews, but at least I have them!

So in total: I applied to 5 programs. I'll interview at 3, the first starting next week, and then one in the middle of February and the final one at the beginning of March. I just hope that ranking only 3 programs will still give me a shot at a match.

Yes, you still have a good shot with ranking 3 places. Statistically, most people end up in their 1st or 2nd choice. Good luck!

i have two scheduled interviews out of 5 applications, realistically i am only interested in one of them unless the other on site reallly wows me.

my statistical chances are slim.

Has anyone heard from Moses Cone? Their's was due around the 13th.

I just thought I would post some concerns. This residency cycle i applied to all IHS programs, and last minute threw together half hearted, inpersonal, LOR not correct format apps to normal residencies. It looks like the ihs will not work out and I have been declined interviews at 3/6 places (and not heard from the rest). Looking for some thoughts on the scramble competition in the NW. My application is fairly competative, but my school in the sw is P/F so no GPA. I cant imagine not finding a residency anywhere and having to work next year, and develop new lor etc, but i suppose some people have to...

Did anyone hear anything from Edward Hines VA (Hines, IL)???? They were going to e-mail their decision this week.

I heard back from Hines and got an interview. It was via email on monday or tuesday.

Does anyone kno what the intrview process is like @ the Jesse Brown VA?

I only applied to 3 PGY2 programs. I got an invite from 2 programs within 24-48 hours after they received all my materials. Both invites were through email. It took about 2 weeks for the 3rd program to get back to me, and it was a reject :(

I received an invitation from Miami VA do anyone have an idea of what questions may be asked? Any tips of how to prepare for such interviews? I am nervous !

anybody apply to the ohio state university medical center? the deadline was jan 1st & i still haven't heard a peep... not looking good!!!

Hi Calrx,

I was talking with a friend that has applied to Ohio State Medical Center yesterday. She has not heard from them yet and did not seem concerned (she has a contact there). She said they notify and interview late, so don't give up hope :)

Good Luck!

Hi Calrx,

I was talking with a friend that has applied to Ohio State Medical Center yesterday. She has not heard from them yet and did not seem concerned (she has a contact there). She said they notify and interview late, so don't give up hope :)

Good Luck!

Thank you so much! I guess there is a teeny weeny bit of hope left :)

MUSC called me early last week (I think it was the 12th)

DOCRX2010... when are you going to MUSC? I'm sooo nervous about that interview. Have you heard anything about the interview process there?

Calrx, I don't go for this interview until a couple more weeks. I am also extremely nervous because the only thing I have heard is that there is a skills assessment, but I have no idea what this entails!!

Good Luck!

Thank you so much! I guess there is a teeny weeny bit of hope left :)

I'm an osu student, sent my application in 3 days before the deadline, and I just got my invite last week. OSUMC started interview about 3rd week of January. I was doing my rotation there in January too, and saw 2 of my classmates interviewing there just couple of days before my invite came by phone.

7 / 7 on the applications and invites with a on 3.9 GPA and several years of research experience. OSU was the slowest on the invites, I guess because it is such a renowned and competitive institution.

I heard back from Hines and got an interview. It was via email on monday or tuesday.

Congratulations on the invite and hope your interview went well. I didn't hear back from them at all last week, now I'm sure that the rejection e-mail will be sent soon :(

5/5 no invites....

Guess I suck?

I do not know. I did EC with APhA and our student class, got LOR from 3 professors, 3.4 GPA, both retail and hospital experience. I did not go to Vegas but that was due to financial reasons. I am awaiting emails from the directors telling me where I am weak. All the residencies I applied to had 50+ applicants. Basically I am waiting for the scramble but from these # of applicants I think that I will be out of luck.

What do you all think?

Could be issues with CV, cover letter, application? Are you sure that you got supportive rec letters (don't take this the wrong way)? What sort and how long are you experiences in hospital/retail? How many pgy1 spots did each program have for the 50+ applications?

C/V and cover letter were reviewed by a few people including our Career Development center and the professors that I got LOR from let me read the letters. Applications were standard. I had 6 months of hospital and almost 2 years of retail.
Between 2-4 positions for the 50+ applicants. I am from a newly certified school and the programs were out of state and they were obviously competitive so I guess better luck with the scramble.

Oh man. I'm so glad I'm past this phase in my life :scared:

Good luck to all of you!

Heard from a program today whose deadline was 1/5.

Of course I had to e-mail them because 3 weeks ago they said they'd decide on invites "next week", but the combination of patience and persistence paid off.

C/V and cover letter were reviewed by a few people including our Career Development center and the professors that I got LOR from let me read the letters. Applications were standard. I had 6 months of hospital and almost 2 years of retail.
Between 2-4 positions for the 50+ applicants. I am from a newly certified school and the programs were out of state and they were obviously competitive so I guess better luck with the scramble.

Perhaps some of the programs you applied to were leery of a newly accredited program or they wanted to do the meet and greet with candidates at midyear. Did any of the programs do PPS?