Interview invites update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In case anyone applied to USF in Tampa, or even knew they had a program, I found out today that they haven't even started reviewing applications yet. So if you're waiting for an interview, be patient.

Members don't see this ad.

Invites - Columbia/Cornell, Montefiore, NS-LIJ, JFK, Hopkins, Siani (baltimore), UPENN

Rejections - UWash, Mayo, UVA

Has anyone heard from Jefferson yet?

Anyone have any opinions on the UTSW program?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mystique said:
I doubt people are intentionally ignoring your post. The majority of programs still have not sent out any rejections (based on what I've read here and discussions with my classmates). Perhaps these programs are just biding their time...this process is unpredictable. I didn't apply to Spaulding, so I can't speak from personal experience but some of my classmates that did apply there have yet to be rejected from there.

You may or may not receive "rejections" from programs that aren't interested in you. Many programs just do not respond if they are not interested in you. Very few actually send rejection letters.

TreeOfLife said:
Stanford, Baylor-Houston, Med Coll of Wis, NSLIJMC, UBuffalo, SUNY Syracuse, UK, UPenn

Reject from EMORY, WayneStateU, UofWash
Anyone hear either way from UnivMich, UofWis-Madison, Colorado, Utah or other Cali programs?

Add NYU-Rusk, Univ of Cincinnati, Medical College of Ohio, EVMS, Univ Rochester, Columbia/Cornell, UTSW, SUNY-Stonybrook

residency is a couple years away for me, but, i was wondering when do most programs interview applcants? (when are the dates of your interviews?)

Interviews are generally start in November and run through January. There are outliers that may go through late Oct or early Feb, but generally Nov to Jan. Hope this helps.

Just invited from Stanford.

GluteusMaximus said:
residency is a couple years away for me, but, i was wondering when do most programs interview applcants? (when are the dates of your interviews?)

1 in October
4 in November
13 in December
9 in January

Just got an invite from Rehab Institute of Chicago. :D This is one of the ones that I've been waiting for. Has anybody heard from Mayo yet?

----------------------------
Invites so far: RIC, Schwab, Rush, U of Missouri, Indiana U, U of Kansas, Case Western, U of Wisconsin, & U of Texas SW

Rejections so far: U of Washington, U of Virginia

University of Cincinnati today. Can someone share any info about this program; I haven´t been able to find much! Thanks!

heard from mayo at end of october

Duncan said:
Just got an invite from Rehab Institute of Chicago. :D This is one of the ones that I've been waiting for. Has anybody heard from Mayo yet?

Invites so far: RIC, Schwab, Rush, U of Missouri, Indiana U, U of Kansas, Case Western, U of Wisconsin, & U of Texas SW

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: from RIC today.

RIC today too. Nice surprise after hitting a dry spell for a couple of days.

Still gotta look for a new suit. It's hard finding a 37 at some of these places... =/

thanks to everyone who responded to my question about interview dates..the reason i was asking is because i will only be able to interview from december and latter (november and early will not be feasible for me)..will this close doors for me? meaning, are there programs that interview only in october and november?

GluteusMaximus said:
thanks to everyone who responded to my question about interview dates..the reason i was asking is because i will only be able to interview from december and latter (november and early will not be feasible for me)..will this close doors for me? meaning, are there programs that interview only in october and november?

Some of my invites were only for a handful of dates. Some were Nov/Dec only. Hopkins only gave 2 dates, one in Nov and one in Dec. I would say Dec. is the biggest interview month, followed by Nov/Jan.

Duncan said:

Mayo started sending out interviews a few weeks ago. Congrats on the RIC interview, still waiting to hear from them myself. Did it come today by email?

Congrats on the RIC interview, still waiting to hear from them myself. Did it come today by email?
Thanks, I'm really excited about this interview. My understanding is that the facilities at RIC are gorgeous. Oh, and to answer your question, my invite from RIC came by way of email.

Just wondering when the invites stop pouring in. Obviously the mspe has been in for a while (though UCLA has not downloaded mine yet). And they have already combed through all 7 pages of it, I assume. So I assume we're not going to hear much more, right?

Add: Reading (PA) TY invite

Hopkins and UVA--why does hopkins only have 2 dates? I also am about to start cancelling interviews because I said I was only going on 7 interviews and I'm over that and still waiting on something from LSU.

glenn michaels said:
Hopkins and UVA--why does hopkins only have 2 dates? I also am about to start cancelling interviews because I said I was only going on 7 interviews and I'm over that and still waiting on something from LSU.

I mentioned before that the PD for Hopkins felt that in the past, having two interview dates on Saturdays seemed to work very well for the program in terms of being able to interview everyone they wanted to. I know UC-Davis only has two dates and I don't know if there are other programs that do this.

U of Cincinnati has only 2 interview dates too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quidnunc
what exactly is Schwab?? am i just out of the loop. ive never heard of this program.

It's U of C baby. and of course you're out of the loop. the loop is downtown and schwab is in the west loop (e.g. GHETTO). damn dude, don't u do your research? F&*k....

and yes, i have an oral fixation, due to the withering away of my temporal lobes bilaterally. however i don't consider my disorder to be all that grim. the hypersexuality aspect is quite a bonus...

KluverBucy said:
It's U of C baby. and of course you're out of the loop. the loop is downtown and schwab is in the west loop (e.g. GHETTO). damn dude, don't u do your research? F&*k....

:laugh: I nearly choked on my OJ while reading this. :laugh:

i noticed a lot of competetive applicants (multiple interview invites) were rejected from wayne state (a program that hasn't filled in at least the last 4 years). can anybody explain why this would happen?

GluteusMaximus said:
i noticed a lot of competetive applicants (multiple interview invites) were rejected from wayne state (a program that hasn't filled in at least the last 4 years). can anybody explain why this would happen?

I called the lady up. She says that they download daily. I did not certify eras until October. She said something like, well you know, for future reference eras starts 9/1. You're really late. Some coordinators download all at once and invite but I download as I go along and invite because I don't like a backlog.

By the time they downloaded my stuff they had already capped at 25 interviews.

So if you're deadset on going to Wayne State make sure you certify 9/1. It doesn't matter if your file is complete or not. They will invite you based on a bs cutoff.

Also, remember, for many programs the admin or program coordinator is the actual person who invites you (i.e. - they read your file, read your letters, look at your bs) - not the program director, faculty or attendings.

cyanocobalamin said:
Anyone get the "thanks for your interest" email from Columbia/Cornell today? I am not sure what it really means.
Invite from Charlotte IR today.
And Baylor/UT as well.
Add Overlook (NJ) TY.

oh yes i got that too !! it was confusing ,, no news from them afterwards !!??

parmed said:
Congrats! Great to hear that Kessler is still working on sending out invitations. I'm starting to wonder about some of the programs I applied to that I haven't received an answer from at all (but others have gotten responses from).

Baylor/UT-H will be my first PM&R interview of the season this Friday. Excited to go back to Houston!

Rejection from Loma Linda by email last Thursday. :(
Still haven't heard from the other Cali schools...I'm guessing its just a matter of time until they send out their rejections.

I understand that the west coast is relatively more competitive, but do they also view applicants from the east coast less favorably?

ric. :idea: whew. was startin to get worried!

melancholy said:
Congrats! Great to hear that Kessler is still working on sending out invitations. I'm starting to wonder about some of the programs I applied to that I haven't received an answer from at all (but others have gotten responses from).

Baylor/UT-H will be my first PM&R interview of the season this Friday. Excited to go back to Houston!

good luck on your TIRR interview! should be fun.

Atlantic said:
Rejection from Loma Linda by email last Thursday. :(
Still haven't heard from the other Cali schools...I'm guessing its just a matter of time until they send out their rejections.

I understand that the west coast is relatively more competitive, but do they also view applicants from the east coast less favorably?

Generally so, unless you have compelling ties to the state or have done an away rotation there, or are super-stellar. I mean mediocre programs in Cali may be harder matches than stellar programs in the midwest, e.g. medicine at Cottage seems to be a harder match than medicine at U of Chicago. There are just too many people who want to go there. Same goes for the Pacific Northwest, Colorado, and Florida (very tempting for Southerners).

Today I got a second rejection from Cottage, like the first one wasn't enough. On an upnote, I got an interview with jeff and umdnj-njms, and will cancel some interviews.

cyanocobalamin said:
Generally so, unless you have compelling ties to the state or have done an away rotation there, or are super-stellar. I mean mediocre programs in Cali may be harder matches than stellar programs in the midwest, e.g. medicine at Cottage seems to be a harder match than medicine at U of Chicago. There are just too many people who want to go there. Same goes for the Pacific Northwest, Colorado, and Florida (very tempting for Southerners).

Today I got a second rejection from Cottage, like the first one wasn't enough. On an upnote, I got an interview with jeff and umdnj-njms, and will cancel some interviews.

Is "jeff" Thomas Jefferson in Philly? They're the only place I haven't heard from.

DistantMets said:
Is "jeff" Thomas Jefferson in Philly? They're the only place I haven't heard from.

Yes. I heard they're awesome, so I was very psyched about it. Good luck! :luck:

+Stanford just now, but it looks like I will not be able to make any of their dates. Oh, well.

+Lehigh Valley TY (Allentown, PA)

RIC today. Very exciting, I didn't think I'd hear from them :)
Melancholy, I'll also be interviewing at Baylor Houston this Friday. See you there.

I'm sticking mainly to the east coast...

Just heard from RIC, Spaulding, T. Jefferson.
Already went to Hopkins and Montefiore.
Looking forward to Kessler, JFK, UNC, GT/NRH, Upenn, Temple, Sinai
Decided to turn down U Wash, OSU, Downstate in NY (Accreditation issues) and Columbia/Cornell

Thats all I can think of for now :D

Just wanted to remind folks to keep posting about interviews and in addition, posting your impressions on the interviews thread (attached as a sticky to the top of our PM&R forums) would be a wonderful help for everyone involved.

Camibella - Wonderful! I'll finally get to meet someone from SDN on the interview trail! Just look for me, I'll be the guy with the black suit on. ;)

invite from SUNY Stonybrook and Tufts. Another rejection email from UVA...like the first one didn't hurt enough :( Anyone hear anything about Tufts other than what's on scutwork?

Continued luck to everyone. I'm still waiting to hear from Columbia/Cornell and Jeff...those are two that I really want to hear from. We'll see. For those of you still waiting to hear from their preferred programs. Don't lose faith...it's not over for a while yet.

:D

cyanocobalamin said:

Ha Ha Ha. I got the same f$%k'n email. What the hell? Did they reject me, then read my Dean's letter and want to confirm my recection?!!!

+ note: RIC, Baylor Houston, Loma linda

Has anyone received a rejection from Spaulding...still haven't heard from them.

PMRWannabe said:
I'm sticking mainly to the east coast...

Just heard from RIC, Spaulding, T. Jefferson.
Already went to Hopkins and Montefiore.

hey PMRwannabe,
was there any pimping in the montefiore interview ? what was your general impression bout the program ?
i have my interview ther next week.
thanx & good luck dude

Updated List:

Invites: UVA, Penn, NYU, Cornell/Columbia, St Vincent, U. Minnesota, U. Chicago, Medical College of Ohio, UTSW, U. Louisville,

Rejections: U Washington, Baylor-Dallas, UT/Baylor, Mayo, U. Colorado

Haven't heard from about 1/2 the schools I applied to, specifically the Cali programs, but it looks like this may be the final list I will choose from as I haven't had any invites for the last week or two. Good luck to everybody.

I've only heard from 2 Cali programs -- an invite to UCI and a rejection from Loma Linda. Still haven't heard from UCLA, UCDavis or Stanford, but I'm guessing I probably won't hear from them seeing my LOR fiasco.

Here's my list thus far: Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, UPitt, NYU, Temple, Emory, UC Irvine, Baylor (Houston)...

Rejection from Univ of Washington and Loma Linda.
Still haven't heard from UNC, Kessler, RIC, Columbia/Cornell, Jefferson, UPenn

Applied to 18 programs total...only got interviews for 7...is that even enough?
I'm really worried. My LOR ordeal really screwed me over. Still no invites for TY either (applied to only 4). :scared: