Interview invites update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TreeOfLife

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get an idea of what programs have already put out invites for interviews. If you're willing to share--please post where you've received invites from.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami

Members don't see this ad :)
OSU, Kessler, MCV/VCU, UVA, Case Western/MetroHealth. Do a lot of programs wait until the Dean's Letter comes out? I'm curious because I still have a LOR to come in and I'm not sure if they're waiting for that or the Dean's letter.

patbateman said:
East Carolina University in Greenville, NC

Do you mind sharing your scores? I applied there, too.
Also, do you know anything about the program?

Thanks

Albany, Buffalo, NUMC

got interviews from Jackson-florida & AE COM montefiore-NY.
rejection from schwab-chicago :(

Veve said:
Do you mind sharing your scores? I applied there, too.
Also, do you know anything about the program?

Thanks

Veve, I sent you a private message with info about UNC.

I got this email today from Baylor Dallas

"Just FYI, our PM&R Medical Education Committee will be reviewing all completed
applications shortly after November 1st when the Dean's Letters are released.
I anticipate that applicants selected to receive an invitation to interview
will begin to be notified shortly thereafter."

Temple University and Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh...

I too am waiting on my LORs to come in. It's been a month or so already...how long is too long before I follow up on it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fooman said:
Temple University and Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh...

I too am waiting on my LORs to come in. It's been a month or so already...how long is too long before I follow up on it?

HI.

I think it is appropriate to follow-up on LORs at this point. A month is a significant amount of time to wait. A friendly reminder or a thank you card with a tactful reminder usually does the trick.

As for interviews I've heard from AECOM, Eastern Virginia, Long Island Jewish in New York, U of Miami and a rejection from Emory :( I am hoping that once the Dean's letter is released more interviews will role in. For those of you who have heard from Temple, I also applied there but have not heard from them yet, would anyone mind sharing their specs with me?

Thanks so much! :)

As a side note on the Dean's letter, I took note that as a DO student, my school had my MSPE letter uploaded to ERAS back in July or so... surprisingly fast. I've noticed that none of the MD programs (internship or residency) have downloaded it as compared to DO internships which have all downloaded it. I wonder if it is something they do intentionally to be fair to everyone (and wait till Nov. 1) or if ERAS has it set that way? Just a random question that came up...

I'm also curious in what form are these rejections coming in? Via email or snail mail?

Take heart, it is still early and there are still plenty more programs to hear from!

Hi Melancholy,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am trying to wean myself off constantly checking my email.

Anyways, with respect to rejection emails, I got one from emory through
the ERAS message system...and I'm hoping its the last one :oops:

From my understanding, the national council of deans has agreed on November 1 as the date that dean's letters go out. My guess is that eras enforces/respects this agreement.

my one and only rejection from Wayne State came in the form of snail mail...and it looks like teh program director personally signed it too...on another note..I recieved an interview from Marianjoy and ECU...though i am kinda surprised...i have recieved a whole bunch of prelim year and transitional year rejections and not one invite...i thought it would be the other way around...i thought prelim years were easy to get

melancholy said:
As a side note on the Dean's letter, I took note that as a DO student, my school had my MSPE letter uploaded to ERAS back in July or so... surprisingly fast. I've noticed that none of the MD programs (internship or residency) have downloaded it as compared to DO internships which have all downloaded it. I wonder if it is something they do intentionally to be fair to everyone (and wait till Nov. 1) or if ERAS has it set that way? Just a random question that came up...
QUOTE]

Non DO, ACGME approved programs cannot download MSPE until Nov 1. That is the rule, although schools may upload your deans letter whenever.

Generally October is the month when the majority of interview invites are sent out. RIC waits for deans letter, although I got interview invites from spaulding, baylor, univ wash, and mayo before november.

Baylor/UT-Houston on Friday 10/14, Upitt and Hopkins today 10/17.

Time to start some serious planning to figure out how not to fly from west to east coast every week for an interview...

ding from wayne state - lady says they capped out at 25
ding from prelim santa barbara cottage (thousands and thousands of applications or so they claim)

invite from hopkins pm&r
invite christiana prelim medicine
invite jeff prelim med
invite mt sinai pm&r
invite temple pm&r
invite marionjoy pm&r

Hey Cyanocobalamin- Might as well start posting all the prelims and PM&R residencies all in one place.. it's easier to follow one thread anyway.

UPenn a few minutes ago, but argh, I forgot they were only categorical. I went back to look at the ERAS page for UPenn, and it only listed "Advanced".

Cottage gets so many applications a year. Who wouldn't want to live in Santa Barbara? Beach, laid-back living, wineries, etc.

I got an interview at UPitt but I'm only given two dates to choose from,

Dec 1 or Jan 16....

I'm actually rotating through the department right now and will probably rank them high in the end. Would it put me at a disadvantage if I went for the Jan 16th interview??

I received a rejection email from Emory today. I would like to hear from someone who has been invited to interview at this program, if they would not mind sharing their stats. Please holla at me on this thread or via private message. Thanks.

Fooman said:
I got an interview at UPitt but I'm only given two dates to choose from,

Dec 1 or Jan 16....

I'm actually rotating through the department right now and will probably rank them high in the end. Would it put me at a disadvantage if I went for the Jan 16th interview??

I would def. go for the later date-here's why:

1) you are rotating now so by the time they rank thats a long time away...

2) later interviewees benefit from a natural 'appreciation'. That is early candidates tend to have negatives remembered whereas later interviewees have more positives. I have no data to back this up-but most folks agree interviewing late puts you at an advantage.

good luck!

macman said:
I would def. go for the later date-here's why:

1) you are rotating now so by the time they rank thats a long time away...

2) later interviewees benefit from a natural 'appreciation'. That is early candidates tend to have negatives remembered whereas later interviewees have more positives. I have no data to back this up-but most folks agree interviewing late puts you at an advantage.

good luck!

That's actually a logical reason. I heard that interviewing early shows your interest rather than putting it off for later. Programs might interpret your lack of interest if you put off the interview for later. That's what someone said, but I wanted to hear other opinions. But you do have a good point. It only makes sense that they remember you more closer to the match.

Fooman said:
That's actually a logical reason. I heard that interviewing early shows your interest rather than putting it off for later. Programs might interpret your lack of interest if you put off the interview for later. That's what someone said, but I wanted to hear other opinions. But you do have a good point. It only makes sense that they remember you more closer to the match.

you can probably argue it both ways all day long: i.e. interviewing early may give them the impression that you are using it as a warm up interview and you are saving your best performance for late interviews....

anyway-do what feels right to you-for me I knew I'd learn lessons in early interviews so I tried to interview at my top picks late so I would be polished-that may or may not work for you?

OK, I am sure this question has been answered in previous years but...

1. How many interviews does a typical person need to go on for PM&R?
2. How many interviews does a typical person need for their intern year?

I've generally heard 12 or so is a good number for PM&R, ranking maybe 2/3 of them, and maybe anywhere from 3-6 intern year interviews.

Any thoughts?

cyanocobalamin said:

I've generally heard 12 or so is a good number for PM&R, ranking maybe 2/3 of them, and maybe anywhere from 3-6 intern year interviews.

Any thoughts?

cyano-

thats sounds about right, or at least that is what I did. I was offered 12 pmr interviews and I think I attended about 10. I did 3 intern interviews, but I pre-limited myself to one geographic area for intern year. Some folks I ran into interviewed for intern in every city they did a pmr interview-that would have killed me. :luck:

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I don't recall seeing a posting...

How many interviews are typically given for each available seat?

Knowing the odds are helpfull, if granted an interview.

Same here myrandom2003. Kinda sad since I was actually really interested in seeing what U of Washington was all about and even visit Seattle since I'm an outdoorsy sorta person.

patbateman said:
I received a rejection email from Emory today. I would like to hear from someone who has been invited to interview at this program, if they would not mind sharing their stats. Please holla at me on this thread or via private message. Thanks.

I PM'ed you.

cyanocobalamin said:

My advice would be to interview at all programs you're interested in and only rank those that you want to go to.
Going to interviews just to make the "magic" number is not beneficial to you and you should never rank programs unless you're confident you would be happy there.
I think I interviewed at 14, ranked about 11.

I know how u feel Melancholy- I too got a rejection from U of Wash and I was looking forward to visit Oregon since I am also an outdoorsy person- I also got an interview for Baylor but I'll be going later!

Good Luck to everyone out there! :luck:

invites du jour (pm&r): UW, mercy pgh
continued best of luck to everyone!

cyanocobalamin said:
invites du jour (pm&r): UW, mercy pgh
continued best of luck to everyone!

Hey that's fabulous...congratulations!! :)

PMR: UPenn, UNC, UKY
Prelim medicine: Jersey Shore Neptune
continued besteth to y'all! :luck:

to date: Temple, Upenn, LIJ-NY, Mt. Sinai, UW.

Do most programs wait for transcripts before they offer interviews? Our med school's policy was to send out transcripts ~ Oct. 15 or later, and I'm concerned that I haven't gotten interviews at programs like OSU or Baylor that apparently have given them out already.

to date: Temple, Upenn, LIJ-NY, Mt. Sinai, UW.

Do most programs wait for transcripts before they offer interviews? Our med school's policy was to send out transcripts ~ Oct. 15 or later, and I'm concerned that I haven't gotten interviews at programs like OSU or Baylor that apparently have given them out already.

My school is P/F.
Transcripts were uploaded recently for us but not particularly insightful secondary to last statement.
I got an OSU and UVA invite today.
My file was complete (except mspe of course) last week, certified sometime in the month of October, didn't really have easy internet access in September (and thus got a ding from Wayne State because it was "so late.")
For us only the mspe and its narratives has any tinge of how we did in clinical years (secondary to being P/F), which is why I am pleasantly surprised I am getting invites at this point.
You can always call the program to gain more insight.

Stanford, Baylor-Houston, Med Coll of Wis, NSLIJMC, UBuffalo, SUNY Syracuse, UK, UPenn

Reject from EMORY, WayneStateU, UofWash
Anyone hear either way from UnivMich, UofWis-Madison, Colorado, Utah or other Cali programs?

TreeOfLife said:
Stanford, Baylor-Houston, Med Coll of Wis, NSLIJMC, UBuffalo, SUNY Syracuse, UK, UPenn

Reject from EMORY, WayneStateU, UofWash
Anyone hear either way from UnivMich, UofWis-Madison, Colorado, Utah or other Cali programs?

UCLA has not downloaded any documents from the eras post office for me.
I believe last year Colorado was via phone.
Good luck!

Got called on my cell phone by JFK today about three hours into my post-ER night shift sleep. Scribbled down dates, time, and phone # while fumbling for glasses and pen.. what a wake-up call. Finally finishing up my fifth straight night shift... woohoo!

Does anyone have any opinions of UofU's program?

Interview invites with U of Kentucky,Beaumont in Detroit, Washington U in MO, U of Pitt. I've scheduled all my interviews for December and later because I doing a November externship.

melancholy said:
Got called on my cell phone by JFK today about three hours into my post-ER night shift sleep. Scribbled down dates, time, and phone # while fumbling for glasses and pen.. what a wake-up call. Finally finishing up my fifth straight night shift... woohoo!

That's sweet. I think one of their PGY4/R3s is from WUHS-CoOMoP. Congrats! :D
I heard from them too, and from Sinai-Balto.

glenn michaels said:
Interview invites with U of Kentucky,Beaumont in Detroit, Washington U in MO, U of Pitt. I've scheduled all my interviews for December and later because I doing a November externship.

Wow cool, I didn't know Wash U had a program (just looked it up). Don't think I've seen it mentioned much on here...