Interview invites 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BWH wished me the best of luck in my residency... just not at their hospital. What kind of name is Brigham and Women's anyway... it doesn't even make sense

Members don't see this ad.

I will join in the sharing, since so many are contributing and people feel it is helpful. Today, I got invites to MGH, Stanford, and UCLA. Was rejected by Brigham. :) (Funny, I was rejected by Harvard for undergrad and med school. Maybe I should save myself some money and not bother applying there for fellowship.:laugh: I guess I will never be good enough for them. Haha! Congrats to those who did get invites there! I have heard really great things about its program, so you all are very blessed!) As far as the randomness, I am not quite sure it is all really random. For example, all of BWH intern's class share the same characteristics. You can check the website, but all of them have at least 1 of the following criteria and some have 3 or 4. (I am an extremely logical person and have to find some pattern -- it's the scientist and lawyer in me coming out!) They are either 1) MD/PhD or MPH 2) AOA 3)have a spouse who works at Brigham or is a resident there 4)have international health experience 5) conducted a year long research experience under some nationally known grant. So, while some schools just care about grades, board scores, publications, you can't say all top 10s do. Some have "intangibles."

Funnier, twice, I have waited two to ten days to respond to interviews and have been told I will be placed on a wait list! :laugh: I had to laugh, since I probably should have scheduled when I got the invite. One of the schools went ahead and overbooked me. The other I will likely withdraw from anyway because the day I chose conflicts with the interview date I chose for one of the programs I was invited to today.

Screw June, I'm waiting for 12 noon central time on March 15, 2007!

Members don't see this ad :)
invites from MGH and Stanford today...Stanford has a bunch of dates filled already.

still nothin' from UW. And I am assuming Duke is a lost cause since haven't heard a word, and it sounds as though they don't have a whole lot of dates left.

should I call UW? Has anyone done this?

MGH and Stanford today.

Tally so far: Case, Vandy, U of C, UCSF, UPenn, Hopkins, BWH, MGH, Stanford
I'm still waiting on Duke, UW, UCLA.

Got MGH today- last one I was waiting for.

Invites and going: MGH, BWH, Hopkins, Penn, Duke, Columbia, Yale, BIDMC, Cornell, Mt Sinai (NYC)

Invites but not going: Emory, Brown, Boston U, Georgetown, UVA, Maryland

Not heard from (and wouldn't go): NYU, Einstein-Montefiore.

Good luck guys. See you on the interview trail.
Will try to post on my experiences later.

UCSD today...we'll see if i get my choices for interview dates.

Invites: Mayo-Rochester, WashU, Vandy, Emory, Wake, Georgetown, GW, Michigan, Stanford, UC Davis, USC, UC Irvine, UCSD, Scripps, Cedars-Sinai, Harbor-UCLA, UCLA-Olive View

Rejections: Northwestern

Waiting on: U of Chicago, UCSF, UCLA, Colorado, Duke

Good luck with the process and keep the posts coming.

LF

Invites (in no particular order): Penn, Duke, Columbia, UCSF, U Wash, Hopkins, Mayo-Rochester, MGH, BID, UCLA, Wash U, Stanford, Baylor Dallas, Baylor Houston, Brown, Maryland, Wake Forest, UVA, UNC, Oregon, Mount Sinai, Case, Cleveland Clinic, Pitt, Miami, Emory, Dartmouth

Rejections: Brigham

Have not heard: U Chicago, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Yale, NYU, Michigan, Cornell

I think all of the "have not heard" starting making interview offers early, so not sure I would be able to attend any of them anyway if offered this late.

this is a stupid question but what program is BID? i know i could look it up but i'm just lazy.

btw i havent heard anything from duke, upenn, ucsf, ucsd, cornell, umichigan, uchicago, u.washington, or georgetown...i'm assuming they are all rejections at this point.

No question is stupid. We all can learn. It is Beth Israel Deaconess -- the third of the Harvard affiliates.

this is a stupid question but what program is BID? i know i could look it up but i'm just lazy.

btw i havent heard anything from duke, upenn, ucsf, ucsd, cornell, umichigan, uchicago, u.washington, or georgetown...i'm assuming they are all rejections at this point.

Invites (in no particular order): Penn, Duke, Columbia, UCSF, U Wash, Hopkins, Mayo-Rochester, MGH, BID, UCLA, Wash U, Stanford, Baylor Dallas, Baylor Houston, Brown, Maryland, Wake Forest, UVA, UNC, Oregon, Mount Sinai, Case, Cleveland Clinic, Pitt, Miami, Emory, Dartmouth

Have not heard: U Chicago, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Yale, NYU, Michigan, Cornell

I think all of the "have not heard" starting making interview offers early, so not sure I would be able to attend any of them anyway if offered this late.

It's kind of random looking at the invites:

Invites: Hopkins, UCLA, Baylor Dallas, Baylor Houston, Cleveland Clinic, Emory, Albert Einstein, UTSW, Georgetown, BU, Tufts

Rejections: Brigham, MGH, Stanford, Scripps/Green, George Washington

Not heard: NYU, Cornell, Columbia, UCSF, Cedars Sinai, Cal Pacific

Just heard from MGH today -yes, BWH - they didn't want me

invites: MGH, BID, Yale, cornell, mt sinai, einstein, BU, Tufts, among others
rejections; bwh, hopkins
waiting to hear; columbia, nyu, upenn

Members don't see this ad :)
To Update:

Invitation to Yale today. Rejected by MGH.

Interviews: Pitt, Cleveland Clinic, Case Western, UCLA, Northwestern, U Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, Hopkins, Michigan, Duke, Tufts, Wash U, BWH, Yale.

Still waiting: UCSF, Penn, U. Wash

Don't have much hope for UCSF or Penn, but looking at last year's thread U. Wash seemed to send out a decent number of invites towards the end of November.

invites: u wash, u chicago, utsw, ucsd, colorado, unc, usc, brown, dartmouth, georgetown, uva, musc

will/did cancel: tufts, bu, cal pacific, kaiser sf, loyola, gw

rejected by: columbia?, nw??, mass gen, brigham, stanford (last 3 today):eek:

best wishes to everyone on the trail

invited to Stanford today.

rejected by bwh and mgh. oh well.

Is anyone else having problems logging onto ERAS this AM?????

...that everyone has been obsessing as much as me.

Any truth to the rumor that some of the programs release interviews alphabetically?

Invitation from Stanford last night. Rejection from BWH yesterday
Interviews: Columbia, Cornell, BIDMC, NYU
Still waiting: UCSF, Penn, Yale, UCLA

Does anyone have any "insider" info (as if SDN can ever be trusted) about whether UCSF still has interview spots. each time I try to figure out where my file is, it's always "files are being reviewed." This is the last one that I'm waiting for and unfortunately it's one of the ones I care the most about. thoughts? Has anyone looked at last years pattern? too lazy myself.

indiamacbeam: i definitely don't have any insider's info but from looking at last year's SDN postings UCSF and UWashington sent out interviews through the first week of December... i'm still waiting to hear from both as well. at this point i would rather just get a rejection than be kept in limbo.

Any ideas why some people got interviews at MGH but not BWH or vice-versa? It really doesn't make sense to me. Then again this whole process may be completely nonsensical.:cool:

I wonder how much med school reputation played into getting a Stanford interview?

I don't know about med school rep...I got rejected and am not at Harvard, but pretty much top 5 school (well, I don't want anyone to be like "how do you know it's a top 5 school?" so I should say top 10) I didn't get honors in medicine and on their website they say how important that is...I figure that's what happened to me. I'm bummed because I've heard it's pretty cush.

just to add to the body of evidence re: the randomness of it all:

Invites: Hopkins, Yale, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, Einstein (montefoire), U. Chicago, NW, UCLA.

Rejected: BW, MGH, Columbia.

Waiting (not hopeful at this point): BID, UPenn.

also going to some other interviews of less apparent interest to this forum.
good luck all...

Tough week. Yesterday was MGH and B&W in the morning, and Stanford in the PM, and now I just got an ERAS email from UPenn. :thumbdown:

Interviews: UofMN, Hennepin County Medical Center, Abbott Northwestern, Mayo, UWashington, WashU, Yale, BID

Still waiting: UofChicago, UCSF, Duke

Rejections: Northwestern, Hopkins, B&W, MGH, Stanford, UPenn

what's the word on how late interview offers are made. if we have no reply does that mean we're still in consideration, pending cancellations from first rounders? or are they just delaying for the sake of delaying? any idea about past trends?

does anyone know which programs require completion of Step 2 CS prior to the match?

Like a lot of people, I'm still waiting on Duke. I finally gave them a call today cause I couldn't take the waiting game anymore. The coordinator said that they were still reviewing applications and will send out emails next week. ... so there's still hope, right?

Tough week. Yesterday was MGH and B&W in the morning, and Stanford in the PM, and now I just got an ERAS email from UPenn. :thumbdown:

Interviews: UofMN, Hennepin County Medical Center, Abbott Northwestern, Mayo, UWashington, WashU, Yale, BID

Still waiting: UofChicago, UCSF, Duke

Rejections: Northwestern, Hopkins, B&W, MGH, Stanford, UPenn

Hey i got most of the same rejections as you but for some reason hopkins gave me an interview. i hope it's not a mistake!! and i also got a rejection from Yale.

quick question: are you actually going to all of those interviews that you got invites? cuz that's like 27 interviews if i counted right! and if not then which ones are you going to cancel? just curious.
i'm so sick of this process already that i dont even want to go on any interviews!:)

I wonder how much med school reputation played into getting a Stanford interview?

well, seeing as i go to a med school outside of the top 50, i don't think very much. bwh and columbia are a different story.

Got cornell late yesterday. So now the list is:

Invites: U Wash, UTSW, Wash U, U Penn, Cornell, Columbia, Mt. Sinai, Yale, MGH and BWH

Rejection: Hopkins

Waiting: NYU, UCSF

I called NYU today and they said they still haven't reviewed my application. I think they started reviewing late because I remember my application wasn't even dowloaded for a long time. Anyway they said they have over 3000 applications and they will be interviewing into February. I was also told that they probably won't finish reviewing all the applications until something like mid-December.

Have been trying to call UCSF but haven't been able to get a real person.

Good luck to all.

Yup;) , 27 is right. I overapplied -- 35 schools. I am not sure how many I will cancel yet or which -- I will attend at least 20 (I really want U Chicago for personal reasons.) I haven't posted cancellations because not many people seem to want to discuss this. (See onco's thread, so I don't want to offend and two people have stated they don't find this information helpful. Previous experience on this board has made me a bit paranoid and I fear someone would infer from my refusal to attend an interview that I felt I was "too good" for that school.)

quick question: are you actually going to all of those interviews that you got invites? cuz that's like 27 interviews if i counted right! and if not then which ones are you going to cancel? just curious.
i'm so sick of this process already that i dont even want to go on any interviews!:)

so is uwash apparently a top program? it seems that a lot of the competitive people on this site got invites to that place (along with MGH, BWH, Stanford). i dont think i even applied there b/c i didnt know it was a good program! oh well.

does anyone know how much weight a LOR from a faculty member at the place you're applying to counts? I'd assume it would have more weight, than say a letter from your home institutuion. But can it propel you towards landing a spot at the program?

Invites: MGH, BWH, BIDMC, Hopkins, Penn, Columbia, Cornell, UVA, Yale, SUNY Stonybrook, Westchester Medical Center

Still waiting: Duke

Cancellations: Stonybrook, Westchester, Yale

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has gotten a confirmation regarding their interview date at MGH and BIDMC. I sent my date request for BIDMC on Wednesday, and still no confirmation, and I filled out the MGH online form with my interview date choices but no confirmation yet! Thanks

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has gotten a confirmation regarding their interview date at MGH and BIDMC. I sent my date request for BIDMC on Wednesday, and still no confirmation, and I filled out the MGH online form with my interview date choices but no confirmation yet! Thanks

No confirmation from MGH for me, either. Not very conducive to locking in reasonable airfare :( .

So, rejected by UPenn... Which leaves me with this list:

Interviews: Dartmouth-Hitchcock, Baystate, Boston U, Drexel, Hopkins, Beth Israel Deaconess, BWH, U Texas at Houston, Mayo-Rochester, Rush

Rejections: UPenn, MGH, GWU, University of Washington Seattle, Northwestern, Columbia

Waiting: Yale, Emory, Jefferson, Mount Sinai, Temple, Baylor, U Chicago, Cleveland clinic, U Michigan, Cornell, Duke, Georgetown, Brown, NYU

If you call either MGH or BIDMC, they will confirm the interview over the phone. I did not send the schedule request for either before calling and both places gave me the dates I wanted over the phone. I have then received an email confirmation from BIDMC.

UCSF, by email last night

Baby.. YEEEEE HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Golden State.. here I come

out of curiosity, does anyone know how receptive mgh and bwh have been to hopkins students in the past for residency interviews? i ask because i've heard that hopkins is less receptive to hms kids because the majority end up staying in boston anyway.

Today, I got invites to MGH, Stanford, and UCLA. Was rejected by Brigham. :) (Funny, I was rejected by Harvard for undergrad and med school. Maybe I should save myself some money and not bother applying there for fellowship.:laugh: )

MGH is harvard :)

out of curiosity, does anyone know how receptive mgh and bwh have been to hopkins students in the past for residency interviews? i ask because i've heard that hopkins is less receptive to hms kids because the majority end up staying in boston anyway.

i think although last year i heard the brigham is not that receptive to hopkin's students, there are definitely a few hopkins interns this year. so i think the thing is still whether you are a good fit for the respective programs.

good luck!

anyone else still waiting to hear from MGH???? i only know 1 other person in my class who didn't receive an email with reject/invite yet.

Yes, I am very aware of that and I think anyone who has gone to medical school would be, so there was no need for the correction. I would not have gotten the interviews I have, if I was ignorant. :laugh: If you scroll above, I wrote BID is the third of the Harvard affiliates. Thus, one could presume I knew 2 others existed. It was a joke (I was simply making an attempt at humor for a negative situation), since BWH is (from what I have been told) the most well-regarded of the Harvard institutions. However, if you like correction, Harvard is a proper name and thus should be capitalized. :)

MGH is harvard :)