Interview invites 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Penn's not easy... you don't have to be AOA but I'm sure they can stock their class with AOA if they wanted. Good Step I helps, but it's not like in surgical fields where they obssess over it. If its your dream program, then set up an elective there- probably within the next couple months- as a 4th year, impress the hell out of them, meet the PD and cross your fingers... that'll go a long way.

Members don't see this ad.

Penn was an odd one for me. I go to a decent med school (top 30 or so) and am AOA. I did not receive an interview at Penn. I did receive interviews at other comparable programs however. I'm not sure what that means, but when in doubt and you have a particular program you have in mind, away rotations probably help you in terms of landing an interview (that is if you do decently well).

hey yall , MS III here. i have a question about penn IM. everyone keeps saying its impossible to get into unless your stellar. how accurate is this? i'm not a well rounded applicant but i have a very competitive step 1 score but i'm probably middle 1/3 rank and NO impressive EC's/research. i've honored my med rotation and have surgery coming up. from what i'm seen, though, AOA is a prereq to be competent for penn.

idk, what do people think? i would ask people in my school that interviewed at penn but there isn't anybody! is it even worth doing an away and hoping for the best with this 'reach' program?
I know an MD-PhD from an average med school who's Junior AOA and has a stellar step 1 score.

He didn't even get an interview there.