Interview invites 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Beth Isreal Deaconess by ERAS and e-mail this morning.

Tuesdays
November 21, 28
December 5, 12, 19
January 9, 16

Wednesdays
November 29
December 6, 13, 20
January 3, 10, 17

Fridays
December 1, 8, 15, 22
January 5, 12, 19

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many interviews are most people attempting to attend? I think I overapplied (applied to 35 schools). I have three instances of interviews in different states back to back because I need to save money to do all of the interviews. It will be stressful, but I think it will work. In one instance, I definitely will do it. The others, I may drop depending on what happens with the 11 schools I have not heard from yet. Don't worry -- I think many people do this. Got 6 invites in the last 5 days (2 today), so they are still coming.

I am in the same boat as you - overapplied (30+) and many of my interviews are in the east coast while I have to fly out from Texas. So I am scheduling many interviews back to back in different cities, since flying out from Texas everytime will just be way too hard. I am still waiting from 9 schools, but invites in the last couple weeks have been very sparse. I am getting tired just thinking about the traveling :luck:

How many interviews are most people attempting to attend? I think I overapplied (applied to 35 schools). I have three instances of interviews in different states back to back because I need to save money to do all of the interviews. It will be stressful, but I think it will work. In one instance, I definitely will do it. The others, I may drop depending on what happens with the 11 schools I have not heard from yet. Don't worry -- I think many people do this. Got 6 invites in the last 5 days (2 today), so they are still coming.

Ive decided to attend only 8 interviews. 6 Programs that I would be lucky to get into and 2 safe programs that I would be happy at, but arn't my #1. I hope I don't screw myself and don't match.

Wash U. St Louis today

INTERVIEW DATES

Friday Nov 17, 2006
Friday Dec 1, 2006
Friday Dec 15, 2006
Friday Jan 5, 2007 (PhD/PSTP included)
Friday Jan 12, 2007
Friday Jan 19, 2007
Friday Jan 26, 2007

U pitt. not sure if i can go, they only gave like 7 days...

Haven 't heard anything from mgh yet. Hopefully we'll hear something soon...

Has anyone heard from Duke lately?

No...Duke has yet to send me anything. I was beginning to wonder if I missed an email somehow. I guess it will be a rejection soon, then?

By the way, does anyone happen to know, on average, how many interviews for how about how many spots most of these programs send out? ...if that makes sense?

nothing from duke or columbia....

Has anyone called duke?

Members don't see this ad :)
this is a great site. takes a lot of stress out of the whole process to hear what the different schools are up to. good luck to all.

So far:

Invites: UWash, WashU, UTSW, Columbia, UPenn, Mt. Sinai, Yale

Waiting: MGH, Brigham, UCSF, Cornell, NYU

Denied: Hopkins

Hey all - one of the residency coordinatory people at ucsd emailed this website to the applicants: www.myinterviewtrail.com

I think the point of this website is to meet up with peole who are interviewing in the same cities/programs at the same time as you - that way you can split cab fares, hotels, etc. May be a helpful thing to save some $.

Yale today and Michigan yesterday. This is getting so hard to schedule.

Trimming your interview list? Would be helpful to hear which schools and why. Thanks! Oh, and good luck to everyone!

nothing from duke or columbia....

Has anyone called duke?

Heard from Duke yesterday. The only dates currently available:

Dec. 15th
Jan. 5th
Jan. 8th
Jan. 12th

Good luck everyone!

thank you to all of you who have posted...i appreciate your openness and willingness to share.

I have received the following (not in any particular order):
Miami, Emory (cancelled), Northwestern (cancelled), Yale, Brown, Colorado, UCSF, UCSD, U.Va, Montefiore, UNC, Jefferson, Columbia, Penn, Hopkins, BWH, BID, Cornell, NYU, UC Davis (cancelled).

I am couples matching, so had to apply to alot more than than the usual.

As for randomness...I received UCSF, UCSD, Columbia, and Yale before Nov 1st, but still have not heard from the following:
U. Wash, Duke, MGH, Stanford, UCLA.

Have any of you heard from any of these five in the last week? I am primarily interested in UW, UCLA and Duke.

Thanks and good luck!:luck:

I think onco started another thread on cancellations. You may want to check that one out. My guess is that people will start canceling because:

1) they are couples matching and their other half did not get an interview
2) they don't like the location or prefer a certain location
3) they have conflicts and like another school better whether it be because of location or reputation.

I know these will be the basis of my cancellation. If only I knew how many to cancel:scared: I am afraid of shooting myself in the foot.

Trimming your interview list? Would be helpful to hear which schools and why. Thanks! Oh, and good luck to everyone!

I called MGH today- they are finalizing their invites and are sending them out this week, probably tomorrow. They are doing all their offers in one shot so we will all know one way or the other very soon. They are only offering 8 dates (how is that possible??!!) 4 in Dec and 4 in Jan on Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting Dec 12 Hope that helps.

this process is so bizarre and arbitrary- i got an interview from hopkins and have not heard a peep from yale...

Interviews so far: Pitt, UNC, Duke, Hopkins, Penn, Mt. Sinai, Brown, just heard from BWH today
Waiting on: MGH, Yale, BID (what's up with that?)

Miami, Emory (cancelled), Northwestern (cancelled), Yale, Brown, Colorado, UCSF, UCSD, U.Va, Montefiore, UNC, Jefferson, Columbia, Penn, Hopkins, BWH, BID, Cornell, NYU, UC Davis (cancelled).

As for randomness...I received UCSF, UCSD, Columbia, and Yale before Nov 1st, but still have not heard from the following:
My app stuff got in mid to late October, so all of my invites were Nov. 1 and later, including UCLA and UWash last week (or the one before). Um, I'll trade my UWash and UCLA for your BWH. :)

And missrusty, I can swing my BID for your BWH ;)

Have any of you heard from any of these five in the last week? I am primarily interested in UW, UCLA and Duke.

I heard from UW yesterday. I hear that in general they may take longer than usual to send out all of their invites?

Also want to comment on how random the process is:

Interviews: Pitt, Cleveland Clinic, Case Western, UCLA, Northwestern, U Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, Hopkins, Michigan, Duke, Tufts, Wash U, and just today, BWH.

Still waiting: UCSF, MGH, Penn, Stanford, Yale, U. Wash.

I heard from most of these programs before November 1st, except for UCLA, Hopkins and BWH. I can't make any sense out of the timing.

Good luck.

interviews from: hopkins, emory, brown, rochester, umaryland, UTSW, WashU, Rush, Loyola, Uflorida-jacksonville

rejects: yale, northwestern

havent heard anything from: duke, georgetown, u.washington, stanford, or any cali programs.

and btw i thought it was weird that i actually got an interview from hopkins and got rejected from northwestern. i mean i wasnt expecting an interview from either place, but i always thought hopkins was a top tier program and northwestern was lower tier comparatively. am i wrong?

got invited to hopkins-bayview today. fortunately, southwest has 2 nonstop flights from LA to baltimore...certainly a luxury when it comes to flying coast-to-coast, especially on a low cost carrier. this whole process is so expensive, even with the hundreds i've saved on priceline!

i agree with everyone above who's posted about the paradoxical nature of these interview invites. it's strange to see other get invited to bwh, bidmc, nw, ucsf, etc. and they're still waiting on or were rejected from other places, and the situation is the complete opposite for me (e.g. no invite from bwh, bidmc, or ucsf among other but i was invited to yale on october 12th and ucla last week). then that whole rant i posted about board score cutoffs and how i was convinced that it had something to do with why many others were getting invited to ucsd but not me (an excerpt of which was quoted in BearCat's post yesterday), which was proven false days later when i received an invitation from them. i don't know what to make of hearing about lucindamarigold, who's been invited to programs that i'm praying will invite me, and has even cancelled an interview at one that's rejected me (NW), yet she hasn't heard from UCLA; meanwhile UCLA is one place i was invited but she hasn't heard from them (yet)? It's hard to make sense of it all, but for the sake of our sanity, perhaps we should just not try to make sense of it at all...it's just paralysis by analysis.

What will be interesting now that a few people have posted about cancelling interviews (presumably as a result of overapplying), if that will open up slots for some of us who haven't been invited--or more importantly rejected-- from places that others have received invites. most people won't go to every interview they've been invited to, so maybe there will be a second wave of invites after people start cancelling interviews, especially at places not considered "top tier". anyone know if that sort of thing has happened in years past?

Lastly, I did call a few places today to check on the status of my app and according to many of them, they're still reviewing apps and sending out invites. if true, i'm sure the available dates are limited, however most said that i should hear from them by next week. then this waiting game can finally end!

good luck and congrats everyone!

After purusing the threads on SDN as a silent observer, I found mcindoe's latest post to be reassuring regarding the randomness of this process and how other folks are in the same boat that I am in. I decided to join SDN and share in the interview posting flurry. Here is my list:

Interviews: Brown, UofW, Yale, UTSW, UTMB, UTSA, Carolinas MC, Baylor (Dallas), Baylor (Houston), UNC, Rush, Case Western, Colorado, Miami, GWU, Wake Forest

Still Waiting: UT-Houston, Emory, Einstein (SM), Harvard x3, UAB, UCSF, Stanford, Duke, Penn, Columbia, Cornell, University of Chicago

Offerred but declined Interview: Texas A&M.

Rejections: None so far.

No reasonable explanation as far as I can see why I was offerred interviews from places like Washington and Yale, but have not heard anything from other programs like UT-Houston or Einstein. Second the paranoia about few interview spots remaining at this stage in the game. Called GWU today who said they have 6 SPOTs (count them, SPOTS not dates) available for applicants for the entire month of December remaining. Baylor (Houston) also had limited options for interviews.
Good luck everyone!

Randomness abounds.... glad to hear they're still inviting though.

Invites: Cornell, Brown, Georgetown, U Mich, Thomas Jefferson, BU, Montefiore

Waiting: NYU, Sinai, BIDMC, BWH

Feel free to cancel any interviews at the places I am waiting for:laugh: :D
Good luck ya'll

What can anyone tell me about:

1. Academic reputation

2. Resident Lifestyle

Of Oregon Health Sciences?

I am going through thinking it is great versus wondering why they are interviewing me!!

thank you to all of you who have posted...i appreciate your openness and willingness to share.

I am couples matching, so had to apply to alot more than than the usual.

It's funny -- I'm waiting for the exact same five you are! :)

just got mgh - dates are dec 12, 15 and multiple january times. good luck to everyone.

MGH and Brigham today.
So now waiting for Cornell, NYU and UCSF.

MGH and Brigham today.
So now waiting for Cornell, NYU and UCSF.

hi mdcharak, so random! that you would get those 2 powerhouses and not cornell or ucsf? very bizarre. i would suggest calling nyu if you're interested in getting an interview there.

for those of you holding out on MGH...don't fret if you haven't received an invite yet. they're sending them out in batches throughout today. i could be wrong, but i think we'll know about rejections as well as invites by the end of today. good luck everyone (keeping my fingers crossed for an invite!)

Brigham rejection today via ERAS. Looks like they may have sent quite a few out right around 1140ish CST.

Got MGH today.:thumbup:

for those of you holding out on MGH...don't fret if you haven't received an invite yet. they're sending them out in batches throughout today. i could be wrong, but i think we'll know about rejections as well as invites by the end of today. good luck everyone (keeping my fingers crossed for an invite!)

Got a MGH invite today.

List: BWH, MGH, Michigan, WashU, Hopkins, NW, UChicago, UCSD, UPenn

Got a B&W and MGH rejection today. Oh well, at least I tried.

On a brighter note, I've got a BID interview coming up. Does anybody know what time the dinner is the night before? Their email doesn't say and their office is closed. I'm missing clinic time to attend and would prefer to be able to hit my morning clinic the day before so I don't have to make up the time.

OK, the list:
Interviews: UofMN, Hennepin County Medical Center, Abbott Northwestern, Mayo, UWashington, WashU, Yale, BID

Still Waiting: UofChicago, Stanford, UCSF, Duke, UPenn

Rejections: Northwestern, Hopkins, B&W, MGH

Got a B&W and MGH rejection today. Oh well, at least I tried.

On a brighter note, I've got a BID interview coming up. Does anybody know what time the dinner is the night before? Their email doesn't say and their office is closed. I'm missing clinic time to attend and would prefer to be able to hit my morning clinic the day before so I don't have to make up the time.
High five, Adcadet! I got the double whammy as well. I didn't think my chances were good, but it still hurts since they're my first outright rejections.

For BID, you meet there at 6PM and walk over to the restaurant with the residents.

Heard from MGH today, too. I'm surprised that they were able to send out all invites in just one day!? And only 8 days? That's crazy! Does anyone know about how many people they will interview? They're going to need like stadium seating at these things.

Also, I still have yet to get a comfirmation from BIDMC? Have others heard from them yet? I really wanted to try to do all 3 back-to-back, if that is even possible. I'm not that familar with Boston, but it can't be that big, right?

And still no word from Duke.... how weird... oh, well. :rolleyes:

Hey - how many interviews do you guys think is safe, but not too crazy? Unfortunately, I overapplied, but I am sort of afraid of canceling too many, you know? like 8? Or more like 12?

Thanks to everyone for posting. This thread is really helpful, and I can't wait to start hearing about people's experiences.... They already started interviewing applicants at my school/hospital, and it is so weird to see them all at morning report... I guess that will be us soon!

hi mdcharak, so random! that you would get those 2 powerhouses and not cornell or ucsf? very bizarre. i would suggest calling nyu if you're interested in getting an interview there.

thanks for the advice. it's just another example of the many instances of randomness that have already been documented on this site. i'll give the schools another day and start calling next week if I haven't heard anything by then.

Also got the double rejections from BWH/MGH and *JUST* got a rejection from Stanford. Man they are really rolling in today....

Here is my updated list....

Invites :thumbup: : Yale, U of Wash, Brown, UNC, Baylor x2, UTMB, A&M (cancelled), UTSA, UTSW, GWU, Miami, Colorado, Case, Wake, Carolinas, Rush

Rejected :thumbdown: : BWH, MGH, Stanford

Waiting :confused: : BIDMC, Duke, Cornell, Columbia, Penn, Emory, UAB, Einstein (Montefiore), UT-Houston, U of Chicago, UCSF.

I've over-applied. My goal is to go on somewhere between 12-13 interviews. I have 17 invites so far and it's a little excessive I feel. If I were more competitive, I could see myself only doing somewhere between 8-10 interviews.

I know lots of folks have been invited from BIDMC. Anyone got any rejections from there, yet? Just wondering...

bad news: no love from BWH/MGH.
good news: stanford, BID

stanford dates: Tues & Friday Nov 28-Dec 15, Jan 2-26

This stuff is sooo crazy!!! Congrats to everyone!!

Interviews: Miami, Emory, Cornell, WashU, BIDMC, UTSW, UNC, Pitt, Mich, Northwestern, Baylor, Colorado, Cleveland Clinic, Cedars Sinai

Rejects: MGH, BWH, Hopkins, Yale, Stanford

Waiting: UCSF, UCSD, UCLA, Columbia, Penn, Vandy, UofWash

I finally got back to UNC (after 2 weeks) and they have no more dates available!!! I was placed on a waiting list. I spoke to the administrator and she told me that this was normal and not to worry - "We overbook every year because of cancellations." I hope she is right.....

Just when I thought the one-two punch of MGH and B&W was bad, Stanford kicks me when I'm down. I wasn't expecting an offer from Stanford after seeing my recent wave of rejections, but I was hoping to get another interview offer first just for some variety. At this point I'm hopeful that I get a UofChicago offer, although I thought a Northwestern interview was likely and you can see how that turned out. Apparently the leadership at my school is surprised at all the Northwestern rejections this year from my class. I've pretty much given up hope of UCSF at this point, and I'm thinking Duke and UPenn aren't likely as well.

Interviews: UofMN, Hennepin County Medical Center, Abbott Northwestern, Mayo, UWashington, WashU, Yale, BID

Still Waiting: UofChicago, UCSF, Duke, UPenn

Rejections: Northwestern, Hopkins, B&W, MGH, Stanford

This stuff is sooo crazy!!! Congrats to everyone!!

Interviews: Miami, Emory, Cornell, WashU, BIDMC, UTSW, UNC, Pitt, Mich, Northwestern, Baylor, Colorado, Cleveland Clinic, Cedars Sinai

Rejects: MGH, BWH, Hopkins, Yale, Stanford

Waiting: UCSF, UCSD, UCLA, Columbia, Penn, Vandy, UofWash

I suppose with so many programs it's inevitable to see some weird patterns, but you got Northwestern but not Yale, and I got Yale but not Northwestern. Do you think we can trade? Going off my interview list, I'm guessing you'll get a UDub interview, but who knows at this point.