interview chit-chat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After you rank each Rad Onc program in the match, you create a supplemental list for that Rad Onc program, indicating which preliminary or ty programs you want to go to, and in which order, if you were to match at that Rad Onc program.

So, there are two ways to approach the match:

1. Just rank Rad Onc programs in your primary list (and include prelims only in your supplemental lists). This is what I did. This means, if you do not match to a Rad Onc program, then you will not match to a prelim/TY program.
This strategy worked for me in that I was free to do a year of research.
However, it also does make it a lot harder to scramble, because you have
to scramble into two different programs.

2. Rank all of your Rad Onc programs, and then "bottom out" your primary list with some prelim programs.
Makes it easier to scramble, and to pick up spots throughout the year (This year, I know there have been at least 4 different openings, not to mention the 5 real scramble spots last year).
But you can't do a year of research, obviously.

As far as finding a research spot, I found that the majority of the people I talked too were receptive to the idea. Really, its a good situtation for them, because you will be providing support in projects that they are already interested in. A win-win situation. And if you can bring in outside funding, they are even more excited.

I found out, before the match, that my home school had funding for year-out research, and that the research didn't have to be done at my home school. That was a big advantage. I also applied to the Doris Duke year-out program (you don't have to accept a spot there until just after the match, which is good timing. But some Doris Duke sites didn't like the fact that I was applying as a "backup" plan).

I talked to people at my home department, and some were interested and some were not, and someone at a top 10 program where I had done an away, who was interested. I did try to contact some "big names" who I thought I would like to work with, and didn't get a positive response from any, but I only contacted a couple. In the end, I ended up going away from my department (mid-to-low tier per the rankings on this forum) to another department (mid-to-higher tier).

One final point, if at all possible, I think it is best not to graduate if you do a year out. The advantages are:
1. You are then eligible for year-out medical school programs like Doris Duke, or local programs at your school.
2. You are covered by your medical school's liability poilicy, so you can still interact with patients (if you were a MD not in a training program, I was told this would be expensive/hard to arrange?)
3. You would be eligible to take out more student loans in case you can't find a research position that is funded.
4. Less interest accrual on your student loans (a smaller point).

I was able not to graduate because I didn't take a final, one-week, required course at my medical school. I will take it this year. Perhaps similar caveats are available at other places.

One issue I wasn't sure how to deal with was if and how to bring up the topic of doing a year-out with a faculty at a program you are trying to match to. I did do this with one faculty (during our interview, no less!). I don't know if this had a negative impact.

so if one does not match, is there a way to prevent graduation from medical school to retain benefits of residency application to the next app cycle? or can a medical school force you to graduate if you already have all your course requirements and USMLE 2s done?

Members don't see this ad.

weird...okay now I got the wait list email from U of C...did anyone else notice the knew spelling of residency has changed...apparently it's "Reisdnecy"...sorry having a very sarcastic/cynical day--seriously though, did they send out real rejections or is this second batch of wait-lists a cop-out to rejecting people?

yes, i have noticed a lot of spelling errors in the emails inviting/rejecting us. ironic,since we were all so meticulous in checking and rechecking grammar/spelling in our ERAS materials...

Has Maryland and U of Minnesota sent out all of their invites? Anyone know?

yes, but maryland has a waitlist i have heard. maybe minnesota has one...i would email them and find out. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Very helpful suggestion! Thanks, Gfunk6!

Any other thoughts?

well, since radonc is your calling, then you would want to express your genuine interest by laying out a concrete plan for continued pursuit of this field. i would suggest you articulate or reiterate that radonc is what you are passionate about and, briefly, why. then you would probably state you'd take a year to do research at x, y, z institutions doing a,b, or c research. you would probably also state you would take a course or two on survival analysis or study design for formal training in those areas because medical students are typically given very superficial teaching on those topics. you might want to mention some course in physics or radiobio and justify that by stating it would give you an edge during residency since residents are so busy clinically to make the maximum away from radiobio/physics didactics.

1. why you loev radonc and why
2. you'll do a year at ______________ researching ___________
3. you'll also take extra courses in
study design, survival analysis, radiobio, and/or physics

Does anybody know whether these two giant programs have sent out all their invitations for interview?
It seems MDACC also sent out some rejections. What does it mean if one has neither invitation nor rejection from MDACC?
Has anybody received any rejection from MSKCC? I did not see any posting for rejection from MSKCC.

Any thoughts or info. is appreciated!!!

i haven't heard from memorial yet.

Anybody have thoughts on how to best approach this question? Best to assume that interviewer knows nothing about you, and start with "I'm from ..., exposed to Rad Onc ..., interested b/c...", i.e. basically recapitulate the personal statement? Or is it more informative/interesting to assume they know all that, and talk about interests outside of medicine, family, etc., as you would to a non-medical person?
Just curious. It's hard to know how to approach this when one is so amazing both in and out of medicine. They only give you 15-30 minutes.:laugh:

ok, so i have had positive response to being proactive during interviews. it's all about making some intelligent small talk as you walk and sit down with the interviewer. that should direct the interview to an open tone and break the ice. sometimes it can lead directly into a discussion of your outside non-academic interests, which leads to nature smiling and laughing, which leads to goodness. i think it's a bad thing to be ssilent/passive as you walk and sit down, as if waiting for the interview to lay the smack down on you.

so, given that you got some of the outside/small talk out of the way up front, you might still be asked "tell me about yourself." at that point just eloquently reiterate the high points of your personal statement, such as this wonderful one regarding ballet and its connection to the treatment of cancer by ionizing radiation:
http://www.medfools.com/personalsta...ogy/radiation-oncology-personal-statement.php

:D

whats the deal with USF? I know they are a new program and it surprises me they havent invited anyone yet (according to this board). anyone know whats going on?

as a side note, there has been some discussion about the fact that "the same people" will be going on all the interviews. Judging by the posts on the Offers/dates thread, this seems even more true than I originally thought. There are like 10 people who have made all the posts!

it's not all the same 10 people.

it's the same 11.

i'm not posting my invites cuz everyone beats me to it.

:idea:

ok, just kidding! my impression is that there are more non-posting lurkers on this message board than posters. and for sure a number of the lurkers are within the top 5% of the applicant pool

Regarding the "phases" in interview offers, if one gets an offer days or weeks after the first round(s) of offers, does that mean that you will likely be lower on that program's rank list? Or, once you have an interview, is the playing field level?

Just wondering how much we should read into later offers and our chances at actually matching at such a program. THANKS!

as a corollary, if one is invited off a wait-list to interview, my instinct tells me that you are somehow viewed as inferior to the rest of the regular interviewees. can anybody shed some light on this?

and how does this pan out in a situation where coming off a waitlist means canceling at a less prestigious program that invited you during their first wave?? would the chance of matching be harmed by dropping interview with the program that likes you more for the program that likes you less?

Re: board scores & interviews

lets say applicant a and b are both being interviewed at a top program. applicant A has a ~230 and applicant B has a ~260. Would they really still be at an even playing field at this point or would the board scores for applicant B help him even after the interview?

how many questions right/wrong makes the difference between a 230 and a 260? is it 20 questions out of the total USMLE1? how about between a 250 and 260? 1 or 2 questions i bet. but what does that amount of missed/nailed Qs represent?

in my mind a 260 represents a LOT more studying and brain-readiness, perhaps natural smarts or a little of idiot-savantage, than a 230. 260 cannot be achieved by luck alone. for 230 i know classmates who slacked and barely passed yr 1 and 2, crammed for 3-4 wks and hit 230-240s.

now, given that radoncs have to know their literature to back their decisions, i would place my bets on the 260er. (but i wouldn't bet on rainman)

I have no objective evidence, but I really don't think that being pulled from a waitlist will be relevant on interview day. The reality is, I think the faculty who are interviewing you probably don't have any idea whether you were the first person selected to interview or the very last. I think they're thinking, "will this person fit in here? Do I like them? Will their personality clash with the staff here? Are they quick on their feet? etc" I doubt at that point they're asking themselves what your step 1 score was or whose arse you kissed for letters. Some are probably thinking that..but I think that MOST interviewers probably figure that if you're there that day, you must be qualified. I think the playing field is pretty even and, even if you were the wait-list candidate, you could end up being the one who everyone likes and ranked very highly. In this field though, you just gotta go after every single opportunity you can, because that one glimmer of sunshine may be your path to the pot of gold :luck:

I have no objective evidence, but I really don't think that being pulled from a waitlist will be relevant on interview day. The reality is, I think the faculty who are interviewing you probably don't have any idea whether you were the first person selected to interview or the very last. I think they're thinking, "will this person fit in here? Do I like them? Will their personality clash with the staff here? Are they quick on their feet? etc" I doubt at that point they're asking themselves what your step 1 score was or whose arse you kissed for letters. Some are probably thinking that..but I think that MOST interviewers probably figure that if you're there that day, you must be qualified. I think the playing field is pretty even and, even if you were the wait-list candidate, you could end up being the one who everyone likes and ranked very highly. In this field though, you just gotta go after every single opportunity you can, because that one glimmer of sunshine may be your path to the pot of gold :luck:

makes good sense! what you think about canceling an interview with a "safety" program for an interview with a "reach" program though? the offered dates for interviews across programs are ridiculously similar/identical. how would canceling B for A affect the match dynamics?

Anybody gotten an interview at Univ. So. Fla. in Tampa yet? They are supposed to have interviews on 12/3 and 12/14?!

I agree. I matched way out of my league because I was in a really good mood on my interview day and had a good rapport with my interviewers. In fact, after that particular interview, a couple interviewers even stopped me in the hall and essentially told me 'Anybody who was invited can do the work. We're just looking for somebody who's a good fit and we'd want to spend 4 years with'. In conclusion, it don't matter if you're a student from Bob Smith school of Medicine and Bathroom Renovation surrounded by Harvard MD-PhDs with 57 1st author publications and a seminar at Astro - at that point in the game, interview is EVERYTHING :)

Members don't see this ad :)
what you think about canceling an interview with a "safety" program for an interview with a "reach" program though?

gotta somewhat disagree with everyone saying you're on even ground once you get the interview. my home PD says that everyone is objectively scored before the interview (letters, grades, boards, etc) and then the interview "score" is added to that. so while an individual interviewer may not know if you were offer #1 or waitlist student #3, and will likely grade you on the "can you fit in here" fashion for the interview, this will still only be a portion of the composite. obviously the MD/Ph.d with Science first authorships, glowing letters, AND a sparkling personality is gonna end up ranked above the person from the waitlist with the same sparkling personality/interview charm. at least at this one program.

So, depending on how many other offers you have, may want to keep that safer interview rather than the stretch. If you have numerous other safe schools, AND that super charisma, by all means go for it. best of luck!

UrbanAmish--mad props on your crazy run of the board yesterday from 3:45-4:20pm. I dont think any post went un-responsed.

in other news: talked to washington and they should be making calls next week

Anybody gotten an interview at Univ. So. Fla. in Tampa yet? They are supposed to have interviews on 12/3 and 12/14?!

They actually are only interviewing on 12/14. I am not sure when invites are going out though and am honestly surprised people haven't heard yet.

as many of my fellow applicants sit and wait for interviews...

ive been thinkin about how the size of your rank list will be affected by the increased number of applicants...

last year it seemed like if ur rank list was around 7...you were likely to match

do u guys think that will need to be bigger...

obviously no one really knows but i was trying to think about it...

i think that it might take a larger rank list to feel comfortable because a lot of the interview offers for the lower applicants (like myself)....are sporadically given and to a different set of the lower applicant

as many of my fellow applicants sit and wait for interviews...

ive been thinkin about how the size of your rank list will be affected by the increased number of applicants...

last year it seemed like if ur rank list was around 7...you were likely to match

do u guys think that will need to be bigger...

obviously no one really knows but i was trying to think about it...

i think that it might take a larger rank list to feel comfortable because a lot of the interview offers for the lower applicants (like myself)....are sporadically given and to a different set of the lower applicant
Hmmm... you may have a point there, but I'm guessing the difference is probably minimal. If you can get 7 it's still more likely than not that you will match, and maybe say 9 to feel really sure. Just a gut feeling though, I'm no statistician.

What may have a bigger effect is if there is really an appreciably smaller number of available spots this year.

Hmmmm, a post of a U Wash phone call. I guess all that energy put into the non-ERAS application wasn't enough to dazzle them.

I agree. I matched way out of my league because I was in a really good mood on my interview day and had a good rapport with my interviewers. In fact, after that particular interview, a couple interviewers even stopped me in the hall and essentially told me 'Anybody who was invited can do the work. We're just looking for somebody who's a good fit and we'd want to spend 4 years with'. In conclusion, it don't matter if you're a student from Bob Smith school of Medicine and Bathroom Renovation surrounded by Harvard MD-PhDs with 57 1st author publications and a seminar at Astro - at that point in the game, interview is EVERYTHING :)

Eh, depends on the program. Yes, some place the interview at the top of the priority list. But some programs are looking to expand their basic science research, earn a little bravado with a few "ivy leaguers," etc...I can tell you there are several top program directors that won't rank someone from Bob Smith school of medicine no matter how much they liked the candidate. There are plenty of nice, social applicants these days. A PhD or good pedigree still go a long way.

Eh, depends on the program. Yes, some place the interview at the top of the priority list. But some programs are looking to expand their basic science research, earn a little bravado with a few "ivy leaguers," etc...I can tell you there are several top program directors that won't rank someone from Bob Smith school of medicine no matter how much they liked the candidate. There are plenty of nice, social applicants these days. A PhD or good pedigree still go a long way.

If that's the case, then why would they even waste their time interviewing a candidate from Bob smith school of medicine?? I think it'd be better to reject right away instead of having us waste the time/money to interview!

Hey all,
apparently there was a problem with their email server when Georgetown sent out invites earlier this week. I just talked with the coordinator on the phone and he said he will be calling everyone that is being offered interviews but has not yet responded.
G'luck

Fine, fine, I know Steph says what she says about the interview. I know there is enough anecdotes about "Joe Blow from Bob Smith Med School" that matched out of their league.

But, just look at the match lists posted. The top programs take Ivy-Leaguers and PhDers. 5/7 that Harvard took were from Harvard, the rest were PhDs, including two from NYU and Stanford. You're telling me that those 7 were coincidentally that much more engaging, charming, and more easy to work with compared to everyone else? Every year for the last few? Come on :) Let's be reasonable. Pedigree plays a huge role. UCSF took 3 MD/PhDs from Vandy, Columbia, and Yale. Not quite state schools. MDACC took two MD/PhDs from Penn and Duke. MSKCC? Hopkins, Yale, Stanford, and Vanderbilt. Duke - Stanford, Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt? Guess what - an MD/PhD from ... Vanderbilt. As pedigreed as McKinsey and Goldman Sachs ...

If you are Harvard MD/PhD with 57 first publications - I will see you in Boston, Houston, San Francisco, or the Upper East side!

I'll give you that you Ivy-Leaguers are smarter than me. But more charming, articulate, and fun then me and CNPhair? That's just not believable :)

S

For everyone who is interviewing at Moffitt, they are going outside of the match this year. Offers will be made by the 2nd week in January. And while they only planned on interviewing on 12/14, they added a 1/4 date.

I'll give you that you Ivy-Leaguers are smarter than me. But more charming, articulate, and fun then me and CNPhair? That's just not believable :)

S

Oh, Sim, no one could ever match our combined wit and good looks. Such a notion is just silly! :rolleyes:

what is the deal with this place? Isnt it in direct deficance of the NRMP contract for USF to just boldly state that they are "going outside" of the match? I dont see where a new program has the bravado to do as they please. After all, programs offerring spots before all the others is exactly why they instituted the match in the first place! (so we, the applicants, had a fair shake and got to see multiple places and see where we fit in best). No offesnse to anyone interested USF, but I cant imagine why you would want to go to a place that is asking you to give up your right to match. Just my 2 cents.

Anyone else irked by this, or is it just me?

I agree. I think it's an unfair pressure tactic that USF is using assuming they were initially in the match. It would be a different story if the program never used the match in the first place. Starting in the match to get a lot of applicants and then withdrawing and giving them a different system (stacked in USF's favor) is pretty much a bait and switch in my opinion.

I have to agree with the sentiment here about going outside of the match. Doing so does not allow applicants to get a true impression of the programs out there. If they offer you a position it's nice that you know for sure that you will match, but I don't know how you could accept the position and be happy unless you knew from the start that Moffitt is the place you definitely wanted to go. I am a USF student myself and don't really understand why they are going about it like this and actually only learned about going outside of the match yesterday. For those of you interviewing, I was told 25 were offered interviews and 17 accepted for 2 positions so your odds aren't too shabby... As an aside, feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about the department.

Fine, fine, I know Steph says what she says about the interview. I know there is enough anecdotes about "Joe Blow from Bob Smith Med School" that matched out of their league.

But, just look at the match lists posted. The top programs take Ivy-Leaguers and PhDers. 5/7 that Harvard took were from Harvard, the rest were PhDs, including two from NYU and Stanford. You're telling me that those 7 were coincidentally that much more engaging, charming, and more easy to work with compared to everyone else? Every year for the last few? Come on :) Let's be reasonable. Pedigree plays a huge role. UCSF took 3 MD/PhDs from Vandy, Columbia, and Yale. Not quite state schools. MDACC took two MD/PhDs from Penn and Duke. MSKCC? Hopkins, Yale, Stanford, and Vanderbilt. Duke - Stanford, Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt? Guess what - an MD/PhD from ... Vanderbilt. As pedigreed as McKinsey and Goldman Sachs ...

If you are Harvard MD/PhD with 57 first publications - I will see you in Boston, Houston, San Francisco, or the Upper East side!

S

Just for the sake of argument, I want to point out that:

1. While MDACC did get two MD/PhDs from Penn and Duke, their other 3 residents are from: New Jersey Medical College, Nebraska, and West Virginia
2. Penn got a resident from west virginia and also u maryland. They also have a DO in their current resident class.
3. Yale has got someone from Arkansas and UConnecticutt

The schools that I've heard name definitely matters for are MSKCC, UCSF, and Harvard. But I think there are other top programs that are willing to look beyond that. If MDACC (which many argue is better than even MSK) is willing to take 3/5 of their residents from non-ivy league status school, that can't just be a coincidence!

The previous poster has failed to take into account a couple of things:
The reason that there aren't more "name school" residents at MDACC is that if one is from Boston or other great city, they are bit reluctant to move to Houston for obvious reasons. The people from non-name schools usually are superstars or who are familiar to the department. Good luck everyone!

Just for the sake of argument, I want to point out that:

1. While MDACC did get two MD/PhDs from Penn and Duke, their other 3 residents are from: New Jersey Medical College, Nebraska, and West Virginia
2. Penn got a resident from west virginia and also u maryland. They also have a DO in their current resident class.
3. Yale has got someone from Arkansas and UConnecticutt

The schools that I've heard name definitely matters for are MSKCC, UCSF, and Harvard. But I think there are other top programs that are willing to look beyond that. If MDACC (which many argue is better than even MSK) is willing to take 3/5 of their residents from non-ivy league status school, that can't just be a coincidence!

Trust me, harvard is looking beyond the name. You have to understand that many of the most impressive applications WILL come from places where the students have the opportunity and ability to achieve some phenomenal accomplishments. And these will tend to be big names ("Ivy league" is not applicable to medical school). But an excellent candidate will get a look from anywhere.

Sure, if we speak in specific terms in a modern sense, "Ivy League" currently refers to a athletic conference that eight great universities participate in. But, I think we're not talking about bush-league football when we say Ivy League on this message board. Sure, Johns Hopkins does not play intradivisional football against Penn, but I think that referring to it colloquially as "Ivy League" in these discussions isn't outlandish.

In any case, I do agree that an HMS student is more likely to be high achieving than a non-HMS student, but if you are to make the argument that the interview 'evens everything out', then 5 out of 7 Joint Center residents wouldn't be from one school.

I think us non-Ivy folks will continue to disagree with the Ivy-folks about the bias ... I think two years ago, 15% of rad-onc residents came from two schools (H and Y). Maybe they are more talented/smart ... that I can submit to. To say that once they get to the interview, everything is equalized ... well, I just think that is unreasonable. I'm repeating myself, but how are people from the same schools over and over picked to be 'better colleagues to work with' than those from lesser-ranked schools?

-S

I think it is utterly ridiculous to say there is no "name" bias at Harvard. When I interviewed there, the current residents were very honest that pedigree counts to Harris (among others). It certainly is not the only thing, but it is a factor. And that is fine, because with 12 applicants applying from Harvard that year - there was certainly plenty of top talent to choose from.

Actually, once youre at the interview, the interview counts an aweful lot. Dont let these "scores" fool you. regardless of how numbers come out, an impression at interview shuffles things. the interview counts in large amounts.

disagree all you like but i would hold back on the vehemence until youre on the other side of the interview table and in the room during discussions about candidates.

gotta somewhat disagree with everyone saying you're on even ground once you get the interview. my home PD says that everyone is objectively scored before the interview (letters, grades, boards, etc) and then the interview "score" is added to that. so while an individual interviewer may not know if you were offer #1 or waitlist student #3, and will likely grade you on the "can you fit in here" fashion for the interview, this will still only be a portion of the composite. obviously the MD/Ph.d with Science first authorships, glowing letters, AND a sparkling personality is gonna end up ranked above the person from the waitlist with the same sparkling personality/interview charm. at least at this one program.

So, depending on how many other offers you have, may want to keep that safer interview rather than the stretch. If you have numerous other safe schools, AND that super charisma, by all means go for it. best of luck!

I think it is utterly ridiculous to say there is no "name" bias at Harvard. When I interviewed there, the current residents were very honest that pedigree counts to Harris (among others). It certainly is not the only thing, but it is a factor. And that is fine, because with 12 applicants applying from Harvard that year - there was certainly plenty of top talent to choose from.

ok then.

BraggPeak said:
The schools that I've heard name definitely matters for are MSKCC, UCSF, and Harvard.
stephew said:
Trust me, harvard is looking beyond the name.
SimulD said:
I think us non-Ivy folks will continue to disagree with the Ivy-folks about the bias ... I think two years ago, 15% of rad-onc residents came from two schools (H and Y). Maybe they are more talented/smart ... that I can submit to. To say that once they get to the interview, everything is equalized ... well, I just think that is unreasonable.
CNphair said:
When I interviewed there, the current residents were very honest that pedigree counts to Harris (among others). It certainly is not the only thing, but it is a factor.

With respect I think that all of you agree on the core idea that "name" has bearing in RadOnc admissions. The only point of disagreement appears to be the degree of bias.

With most programs interviewing 12 ppl for 1 position, how far do most of these schools go down on their rank list. For example-I can't imagine Penn going down more than 6 ppl.

really varies. some places will interview the same people who interview and top places... they may rank them highly but the applicants go elsewhere. so good places may still go down a bit on the list.

Sure, if we speak in specific terms in a modern sense, "Ivy League" currently refers to a athletic conference that eight great universities participate in. But, I think we're not talking about bush-league football when we say Ivy League on this message board. Sure, Johns Hopkins does not play intradivisional football against Penn, but I think that referring to it colloquially as "Ivy League" in these discussions isn't outlandish.

When people colloquially throw around the term "Ivy League" as if it were a synonym with "great" or "elite", I get nauseated. I've run into a number of grads from schools such as Stanford and Northwestern who incorrectly say "I went to an Ivy League school" and do it with a straight face and without batting an eye.

It's really distressing to see the name for a group that has such great history and distinction become misused and perverted. The last time Playboy printed their "Women of the Ivy League" pictorial, there was a great brunette from Brown, a pretty gal from Penn, a hottie from Harvard, a cutie from Columbia, and beauties representing Dartmouth, Princeton, Yale, and Cornell, but
I don't recall seeing any from Stanford or Northwestern. Nor should there be.

Let's follow Hefner's example and use the term correctly and in its strictest sense.

When people colloquially throw around the term "Ivy League" as if it were a synonym with "great" or "elite", I get nauseated. I've run into a number of grads from schools such as Stanford and Northwestern who incorrectly say "I went to an Ivy League school" and do it with a straight face and without batting an eye.

It's really distressing to see the name for a group that has such great history and distinction become misused and perverted. The last time Playboy printed their "Women of the Ivy League" pictorial, there was a great brunette from Brown, a pretty gal from Penn, a hottie from Harvard, a cutie from Columbia, and beauties representing Dartmouth, Princeton, Yale, and Cornell, but
I don't recall seeing any from Stanford or Northwestern. Nor should there be.

Let's follow Hefner's example and use the term correctly and in its strictest sense.

dude, i really hope you don't get distressed about something so stupid.

if anything, by using the term "ivy league" as a synonym for elite or great is a compliment to the ivy league schools.

dude, i really hope you don't get distressed about something so stupid.

if anything, by using the term "ivy league" as a synonym for elite or great is a compliment to the ivy league schools.

I think he was joking.

I pray to God he was joking....;)

I really enjoyed the Christmas eve rejection from Michigan. Nice touch. Like a little coal in the stocking...

actually, id encourage all doctors to refrain from using the phrase "dude" but i should probably stick to attainable goals. anyway sorry to hear about the christmas eve rejection.

'Dude' is, at times, highly appropriate.

Patient: "I don't know if I can handle 8 weeks of radiology for my prostrate."
Dr. S: "Dude, suck it up. We'll sim you today."

Patient: "I've been getting this strange back pain, is it the radiation?"
Dr. S: "We're radiating your arm, so NO, dude."

I'm not sure why you don't get it, Stephanie. Thread officially hijacked.
S

So I was thinking about ranking a strong prelim med year at the bottom of my primary rank list in case I don't match into rad onc. At least I would have a strong prelim year to better my case for scramble or matching the following year.

My question -If I rank a prelim program at the end of the primary list will the computer think I have matched into the program I want and I won't receive the "Congratulations, you have matched to a one- year position!" message on the 17th of March and be eligible to scramble for rad onc?

it lets you know if you don't get an advanced position, so you'll be able to scramble. definitely do it. it's even hard to get prelim medicine spots now. if you scramble, you may end up in hell, i.e. gensurg.
s

I'm wondering how common it is for applicants to be told how much a program likes them on interview day. Other less competitive fields apparently really go after the candidates they want by telling them they would love to have them at the program, send them Christmas cards, mail them thank you notes, etc. I haven't gotten really any of that other than a few interviewers at random programs saying that they will rank me highly (whatever that means). I know rad onc is competitive and I didn't expect constant praise along the interview trail, but it would be nice to know that other people are generally not sure how they stack up against the other interviewees.

mikedc, I've gotten similar comments as you..."we'll rank you highly" or "you'd be a great fit for our program" at a few programs. But, I don't know what any of that means and I'm sure they're probably telling a decent number of applicants the same thing, so I don't take any of it to mean anything. Anyway, bottom line is that I have no clue as to my standings at most programs and most other applicants I have gotten to know on the interview trail have said the same thing.

totally unrelated, anyone else starting to feel like they hit an internal 'play' button for a prerecorded message when asked about research? Good luck to all on those last few interviews, we've almost made it :)

...anyone else starting to feel like they hit an internal 'play' button for a prerecorded message when asked about research? Good luck to all on those last few interviews, we've almost made it :)
Yeah, for the first maybe 3 or 4 interviews I actually felt like I was giving a heartfelt answer to the "why radonc" question but after repeating it so many times it has started to feel less genuine and just rehearsed.