interview chit-chat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
weird...okay now I got the wait list email from U of C...did anyone else notice the knew spelling of residency has changed...apparently it's "Reisdnecy"...sorry having a very sarcastic/cynical day--seriously though, did they send out real rejections or is this second batch of wait-lists a cop-out to rejecting people?

Members don't see this ad.

Has Maryland and U of Minnesota sent out all of their invites? Anyone know?

If so, if the interviewer in RO asks you whether you have applied for other speciality, what is the best way to tell. Any input is appreciated! :luck:

Very good question. The answer they want to hear is, "I plan on doing a preliminary Medicine/Surgery year in an academic medical center even if I don't get in and then re-apply."

It's up to you how honest you want to be. Personally, if I were applying to a categorical back-up I wouldn't say so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very good question. The answer they want to hear is, "I plan on doing a preliminary Medicine/Surgery year in an academic medical center even if I don't get in and then re-apply."

It's up to you how honest you want to be. Personally, if I were applying to a categorical back-up I wouldn't say so.

Very helpful suggestion! Thanks, Gfunk6!

Any other thoughts?

Gfunk6, another thought on your answer. What if the interviewer is a sharp person and said "The preliminary year is the requirement for this specialty. What I am asking is whether you applied for other specialty besides prelim?" Thanks for your input!

Does anybody know whether these two giant programs have sent out all their invitations for interview?
It seems MDACC also sent out some rejections. What does it mean if one has neither invitation nor rejection from MDACC?
Has anybody received any rejection from MSKCC? I did not see any posting for rejection from MSKCC.

Any thoughts or info. is appreciated!!!

Has Maryland and U of Minnesota sent out all of their invites? Anyone know?

I got a call from Maryland 2 days ago and they told me I got the last spot. Hope this helps. There is a waitlist, however.

Anybody have thoughts on how to best approach this question? Best to assume that interviewer knows nothing about you, and start with "I'm from ..., exposed to Rad Onc ..., interested b/c...", i.e. basically recapitulate the personal statement? Or is it more informative/interesting to assume they know all that, and talk about interests outside of medicine, family, etc., as you would to a non-medical person?
Just curious. It's hard to know how to approach this when one is so amazing both in and out of medicine. They only give you 15-30 minutes.:laugh:

I was asked about backup plans by an attending at WSU/DMC, and gave the standard answer, prelim, re-apply, blah blah (which I actually did end up doing). She kept pushing. I just stopped her and said "GI" That was the first thing that came to mind for some reason and we went on to something else. Got negged anyway. So, anecdotally, don't suggest GI.
S

Does anyone know how many UAB is interviewing and for how many spots? I thought I read somewhere only 15 are being invited to interview?

whats the deal with USF? I know they are a new program and it surprises me they havent invited anyone yet (according to this board). anyone know whats going on?

as a side note, there has been some discussion about the fact that "the same people" will be going on all the interviews. Judging by the posts on the Offers/dates thread, this seems even more true than I originally thought. There are like 10 people who have made all the posts!

Anyone know how important it is to make it to the pre-dinner for these interviews? I'd have to take a whole extra day off to make it to this pre-dinner, and my clerkship director already hates that I'm taking time off for interviews in the first place (mean). Should I just take the hit to my grade and take the extra day off to make it to the pre-din, or is it not worth it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just kidding about the GI thing.
Go to the dinner. I think it's worth it. Your "job" fourth year is to get a job. So go get it.
S

as a side note, there has been some discussion about the fact that "the same people" will be going on all the interviews. Judging by the posts on the Offers/dates thread, this seems even more true than I originally thought. There are like 10 people who have made all the posts!
True. Guy I rotated with and I are sharing gmail interview calendars to try to schedule together, if possible. He's a star, I can see where he's going. Called him up, here's his deal:
49 apps
25 interview offers, he's holding 19, already canceled 6.
6 rejections (haha, from like Emory & Loma Linda, but he got MDACC, MSKCC)
18--waiting for word

Good news: He's hoping to interview at 15-18, so as he gets better interviews he cancels lower-tier program. Someone is getting these "trickle-down" offers.

Bad news: He has gotten some of these trickle-down offers. Therefore there must be 30 or so people out there like him (or "better" than him). Hopefully these 30 or so pass on their "extra" offers in a timely fashion.

whats the deal with USF? I know they are a new program and it surprises me they havent invited anyone yet (according to this board). anyone know whats going on?

I go to USF and I know I'm interviewing on 12/14, but I don't know anything other than that. I'll try to find something out and let you know.

I was just kidding about the GI thing.
Go to the dinner. I think it's worth it. Your "job" fourth year is to get a job. So go get it.
S

sorry. sometimes nuiance is lost on the net.

Most of the interviews are coming after Thanksgiving through January. Can somebody help illustrate what the major questions of interview for Radiation Oncology are?
As for the physics part, will there be a lot of physics questions that most of us may forget? Any input is appreciated!

What could be some good answers to this question? Thanks for any input!

What could be some good answers to this question? Thanks for any input!

I had this question a couple of times. My answer was, I like having time to spend with my patients. My experience in med/onc and surg/onc was that you are always in such a hurry. A nice perk of radonc is that you generally (at least in the initial consultation) have plenty of time to get to know your patient and also to educate them about radiation and their disease.

I spoke with the residency coordinator from USF today and was told so far the only interview date is 12/14. However, they are still reviewing files and may add another date. I hope this helps.

Yeah, what's up with Harvard & UCSF having interview dates in the first week of Dec., but not yet having invites out? Nothing like buying flights a week before a trip, let alone scheduling time out of rotations etc.

How detail shall we go into this topic? Especially if you have done 3 or more projects with some publications and/or presentations, do you need to talk each one in the same extent of detail?

I never even realized these two places had radiation oncology programs.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm looking forward to not checking this site for a few days! :)

I am wondering what's the best way to introduce yourself to the interviewer in the following scenarios:

1. You already have a doctoral degree. Would you say "I am Dr. (Last Name)" or just your full name.

2. In a panel interview situation.

3. You have done rotations there and the interviewer knows you. Would you still introduce you in the fomal way or some casual way?

Thank you for any inputs!

I am wondering what's the best way to introduce yourself to the interviewer in the following scenarios:

1. You already have a doctoral degree. Would you say "I am Dr. (Last Name)" or just your full name.

Good lord, I would avoid #1 at all costs -- I think it demonstrates the height of arrogance.

Generally, I found it adequate simply to state, "Hi, I'm [first name, last name], pleasure to meet you."

O/w just use your common social sense, it isn't really rocket science.

i think you are obsessing over minutae but i agree, the first one will get you chucked. ive seen people think they've had a great interview but who tanked it by arrogance.

Yeah, what's up with Harvard & UCSF having interview dates in the first week of Dec., but not yet having invites out? Nothing like buying flights a week before a trip, let alone scheduling time out of rotations etc.
Is it arrogance that UCSF can send out the invites a week before hand and expect people to rework their schedules and pay a lot of extra money to go interview there?

The harvard program interviews in phases (as do many). The invitation for first phase interviews went out a short while back. Remember: there are people getting interviews that may not be posting here.

The harvard program interviews in phases (as do many). The invitation for first phase interviews went out a short while back. Remember: there are people getting interviews that may not be posting here.

Steph--have the majority been sent out or is there still some hope?

Anybody know how many positions Minnesota will have for 2009?

Regarding the "phases" in interview offers, if one gets an offer days or weeks after the first round(s) of offers, does that mean that you will likely be lower on that program's rank list? Or, once you have an interview, is the playing field level?

Just wondering how much we should read into later offers and our chances at actually matching at such a program. THANKS!

Regarding the "phases" in interview offers, if one gets an offer days or weeks after the first round(s) of offers, does that mean that you will likely be lower on that program's rank list? Or, once you have an interview, is the playing field level?

Just wondering how much we should read into later offers and our chances at actually matching at such a program. THANKS!

Where you are in the "invite" cycle says NOTHING about where you will be ranked. This gets back to an old sore spot previously raised on this board. How much the interview matters. I can tell you: it matters enormously. And not, its not just the extremes, where faux pas sink you and, oh i dunno, rescesscutating the chairman gets you bumped up. The interview matters enormously. For more on that, please seek out the other thread and argue it out there. Just in the meanwhile take this at face value and when youre on the other end of the interview table, you can make your mind up. The prelim or early rounds are typically the "they look really good on paper" group and the home grown boys and girls. (though not exclusively). Now in a way that's silly because nearly all radoncs look good on paper nowadays. But these are people who are just highlighted either because of something very special on paper or because they are "known" to us (ie rotated through and liked).

Do NOT "read" into later offers. The playing field has fairly leveled, at least a good deal, with the interview. good luck all.

William Tell and achybrachy:

1) What is it that you guys are doing in the month of November that allows you to post invites so promptly????

2) WHY ARE YOU GETTING SO MANY INVITES??

Haha, just blowing off a little steam. Congrats on the obviously insane apps.

Thanks, Flobber, but I would say that my frequent posting is due more to a mild neurosis than to the strength of my applicaiton.

I will give a quick plug, though. I didn't match last year, and I am doing a year out of clinical/physics research and reapplying. It is definitely helping my interview numbers (over 3 times that of last year). And, independent of the strategic gain, I'm learning a lot, too.

1) What is it that you guys are doing in the month of November that allows you to post invites so promptly????

Is it arrogance that UCSF can send out the invites a week before hand and expect people to rework their schedules and pay a lot of extra money to go interview there?

Definitely not arrogance. We do NOT screen out applications based on any pre-set criteria (e.g. Step I scores, AOA, etc.) so it takes the admissions committee time to go through > 150 applications. Also, applicants are sending in updates all the time like research published, being elected to AoA, new grades in sub-internships and so on.

Still, I offer my own apology for the inconvenience.:oops:

That's great news WM Tell. And THANK YOU for sharing that. That really helps others.
Best to you
Steph.

I should also tell you, you folks would tremendously surprised to hear about the wide range of USMLE scores that even the best places see...and interview. Remember: there is no magic number.

Re: board scores & interviews

lets say applicant a and b are both being interviewed at a top program. applicant A has a ~230 and applicant B has a ~260. Would they really still be at an even playing field at this point or would the board scores for applicant B help him even after the interview?

wm tell

thanks for letting me know your story.....

this may be a little premature but, if I dont match, I would like to do the same thing (year off for research)...but in a completely different city then my medical school

did u send out a bunch of emails to labs to get ur position or just set it up at your home instituition? were most faculty receptive to ur request?

im just trying to figure out when the best time to start thinking down this road would be...(i'm assuming after the match)

thanks again

I am on vacation this month.

As to how I post so fast: easy... I forwarded all my ERAS emails to my pager, so I know instantly when I have an interview (or a rejection). I call them up, make my appointment, then post the dates on SDN right then.:)

So nameless angry PMers didn't like me giving away the secret of forwarding the emails; as a compromise, I have removed the post detailing how, but suffice it to say it's possible. Figure it out.

I posted it in the first place for two reasons:
1) Though this is obviously an incredibly competetive field, I personally think there is nothing wrong with helping each other out. We're all going through the same thing here.
2) Most programs have sent offers out by now, so really it was actually too late for most of you. The people benefitting the most were next years' applicants.

[/QUOTE]I will give a quick plug, though. I didn't match last year, and I am doing a year out of clinical/physics research and reapplying. It is definitely helping my interview numbers (over 3 times that of last year). And, independent of the strategic gain, I'm learning a lot, too.[/QUOTE]

I think this is a great plan B -- If you don't mind me asking, did you match a prelim year? I am wondering what happens if you match the prelim/transitional year but not the radonc year -- is there a way to decide to take the year off for research at that point? Or are you obligated to do your 1st year?

Thanks, and congratulations on your incredible success this year!:thumbup:

After you rank each Rad Onc program in the match, you create a supplemental list for that Rad Onc program, indicating which preliminary or ty programs you want to go to, and in which order, if you were to match at that Rad Onc program.

So, there are two ways to approach the match:

1. Just rank Rad Onc programs in your primary list (and include prelims only in your supplemental lists). This is what I did. This means, if you do not match to a Rad Onc program, then you will not match to a prelim/TY program.
This strategy worked for me in that I was free to do a year of research.
However, it also does make it a lot harder to scramble, because you have
to scramble into two different programs.

2. Rank all of your Rad Onc programs, and then "bottom out" your primary list with some prelim programs.
Makes it easier to scramble, and to pick up spots throughout the year (This year, I know there have been at least 4 different openings, not to mention the 5 real scramble spots last year).
But you can't do a year of research, obviously.

As far as finding a research spot, I found that the majority of the people I talked too were receptive to the idea. Really, its a good situtation for them, because you will be providing support in projects that they are already interested in. A win-win situation. And if you can bring in outside funding, they are even more excited.

I found out, before the match, that my home school had funding for year-out research, and that the research didn't have to be done at my home school. That was a big advantage. I also applied to the Doris Duke year-out program (you don't have to accept a spot there until just after the match, which is good timing. But some Doris Duke sites didn't like the fact that I was applying as a "backup" plan).

I talked to people at my home department, and some were interested and some were not, and someone at a top 10 program where I had done an away, who was interested. I did try to contact some "big names" who I thought I would like to work with, and didn't get a positive response from any, but I only contacted a couple. In the end, I ended up going away from my department (mid-to-low tier per the rankings on this forum) to another department (mid-to-higher tier).

One final point, if at all possible, I think it is best not to graduate if you do a year out. The advantages are:
1. You are then eligible for year-out medical school programs like Doris Duke, or local programs at your school.
2. You are covered by your medical school's liability poilicy, so you can still interact with patients (if you were a MD not in a training program, I was told this would be expensive/hard to arrange?)
3. You would be eligible to take out more student loans in case you can't find a research position that is funded.
4. Less interest accrual on your student loans (a smaller point).

I was able not to graduate because I didn't take a final, one-week, required course at my medical school. I will take it this year. Perhaps similar caveats are available at other places.

One issue I wasn't sure how to deal with was if and how to bring up the topic of doing a year-out with a faculty at a program you are trying to match to. I did do this with one faculty (during our interview, no less!). I don't know if this had a negative impact.

After you rank each Rad Onc program in the match, you create a supplemental list for that Rad Onc program, indicating which preliminary or ty programs you want to go to, and in which order, if you were to match at that Rad Onc program.

1. Just rank Rad Onc programs in your primary list (and include prelims only in your supplemental lists). This is what I did. This means, if you do not match to a Rad Onc program, then you will not match to a prelim/TY program.

2. Rank all of your Rad Onc programs, and then "bottom out" your primary list with some prelim programs.
Makes it easier to scramble, and to pick up spots throughout the year (This year, I know there have been at least 4 different openings, not to mention the 5 real scramble spots last year).

As far as finding a research spot, I found that the majority of the people I talked too were receptive to the idea. Really, its a good situtation for them, because you will be providing support in projects that they are already interested in. A win-win situation. And if you can bring in outside funding, they are even more excited.

I found out, before the match, that my home school had funding for year-out research, and that the research didn't have to be done at my home school. That was a big advantage. I also applied to the Doris Duke year-out program (you don't have to accept a spot there until just after the match, which is good timing. But some Doris Duke sites didn't like the fact that I was applying as a "backup" plan).

I talked to people at my home department, and some were interested and some were not, and someone at a top 10 program where I had done an away, who was interested. I did try to contact some "big names" who I thought I would like to work with, and didn't get a positive response from any, but I only contacted a couple. In the end, I ended up going away from my department (mid-to-low tier per the rankings on this forum) to another department (mid-to-higher tier).

One final point, if at all possible, I think it is best not to graduate if you do a year out. The advantages are:
1. You are then eligible for year-out medical school programs like Doris Duke, or local programs at your school.
2. You are covered by your medical school's liability poilicy, so you can still interact with patients (if you were a MD not in a training program, I was told this would be expensive/hard to arrange?)
3. You would be eligible to take out more student loans in case you can't find a research position that is funded.

I was able not to graduate because I didn't take a final, one-week, required course at my medical school. I will take it this year. Perhaps similar caveats are available at other places.

One issue I wasn't sure how to deal with was if and how to bring up the topic of doing a year-out with a faculty at a program you are trying to match to. I did do this with one faculty (during our interview, no less!). I don't know if this had a negative impact.

So, assuming one does not match, do you have any recommended programs and/or research topics (aside from GI)?