Interventional Cardiology fellowship July 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody familiar with the programs in DC, especially medstar.. What do you thing about training there?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Arizona-Banner (Phoenix) sent out interviews

Invites:
UMass
MGH
U Arizona - Banner
Georgetown/ Washington Hospital Center

Filled:
UCLA
UPenn
U of Colorado
U of Iowa
Mayo Rochester
Yale
U of Chicago possibly filled
U of Illinois possibly filled
Brigham
Washington University St Louis
Wake Forest
Geisinger PA
UT Southwestern
Baylor
Texas Heart
U of Virginia
Indiana University
Texas Tech Lubbock
Mount Sinai St. Luke's-Roosevelt
U Vermont
U Rochester MC
MUSC
St. Louis University
University of Maryland
Northwestern
OSU

Interviews:
UAMS interviews 1/8 and 1/15
UMKC/Saint Luke's Mid-America Heart Institute (dates 1/22 or 1/29)
Boston University
Columbia
Baylor Dallas
Oregon
Scripps
William Beaumont
Emory
Henry Ford
NYMC/Westchester
UMass
UCLA-Harbor
MGH
University of Arizona - Banner
Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center

Interviews:
UAMS interviews (dates 1/8 and 1/15)
University of Alabama Birmingham
Boston University
Columbia
Baylor Dallas
Oregon
Scripps
William Beaumont
Emory
Henry Ford
NYMC/Westchester
UMass
UCLA-Harbor
MGH

how do institutions notify candidates with interview invitations?

Rejections: OSU, Scripps and Cooper. Rough day for me.

sorry to hear that Occulus. Do institutions routinely inform candidates of rejections?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews:
UT Memphis
Boston University
Columbia
Baylor Dallas
Oregon
Scripps
William Beaumont
Emory
Henry Ford
NYMC/Westchester
UMass
UCLA-Harbor
MGH
Carilion Roanoke
NYU

Wisconsin interviewing 1/25, 2/8. I have heard UCSD (non-ERAS) has sent out their invites.

Is that univ of Wisconsin? Does anyone share my feeling that this year has been rougher than prior years?

For me, it is definitely rough so far, but my seniors said that a lot of programs start sending out interviews last week of January into mid February. I guess will have to wait and see.

Any idea about the IV dates for MGH and the quality of the training program?

Try and give the interview dates for each place too everyone

New York Methodist:
Monday February 22nd 2016
Wednesday February 24th 2016
Monday February 29th 2016
Wednesday March 2nd 2016

Interviews:
UT Memphis
Boston University
Columbia
Baylor Dallas
Oregon
Scripps
William Beaumont
Emory
Henry Ford
NYMC/Westchester
UMass
UCLA-Harbor
MGH
Carilion Roanoke
NYU
University of Wisconsin
New York Methodist
UCSD

Last edited:
I know each program varies, but when do most programs make you an offer after the interview (couple of days or weeks)?

Rejection from U Michigan, they said they filled their spots.

Is there anyone else without any interviews so far (apart from home institution)?

Hey guys-got into IC last year-was a very tense process as I had geog restrictions-and also was fortunate to get 17 Ivs but the home Fellowship prog got a little tired with coverage needed etc(never realized my worth until that time)-hehehehe. With reg to GT/WHC and MGH, my take-

WHC-Mandated 2 yr prog, very regimented-no real clinical exposure in the 1st mandatory research year-there is a research coordinator by name of Rebecca who was extremely abrasive and supercilious until I felt compelled to point out the fact that I had 1st author pubs in JAMA-IM, BMJ, Annals and EHJ. Very less exposure to peripheral-there is a guy Bernardo I think who comes about 1-2X per week to do cases-and 3 fellows fight w/ each other for those with result that almost none get required numbers for peripheral. Structural also is limited as Dr Pichard and a guy from Nationwide come, but use IC Fellows mostly as 3rd/4th operators.It has a strong name in community and Dr Waksman and Sudath appeared very pleasant but there are other attendings who have a reputation of not being so...however solid coronary experience, STEMI call is optional!!50% radial as many older attendings-also very costly neighborhood to live in especially if you have a family.

MGH-Great facility, very nice attendings-big loss recently with Robert Yeh leaving to go to BIDMC(dont worry if you dont know what I am referring to).Peripheral and TAVR are silo-ed in other different Fellowships-not much exposure to either with 2-3 peripheral and 1-2 TAVR Fellows.Last yr IV was on a Saturday after a snowstorm-so Boston definitely becomes a less desirable place after such.Nevertheless the Fellow giving tour seemed happy-almost 80-90% radial program.

Thanks Katang for that info. Question: Probably many of us on here (including myself) still have no invites. When did you get most of your invitations? I applied to around 40+ programs with 5 rejections so far :(

Wide variations-Cardio4Life -IVs started in end Dec-maximum were in Jan and Feb then tricked off but, IVs came up until April-May even....also sometime unforeseen things happen, like there was a vacancy in NYU in Nov, 2015 for a 2016 spot(likely as someone who had accepted earlier opted out.....)

U Washington said today that I'm very good; but not good enough for them.

Any info on BIDMC's program. Seems like some big names. Not sure how much you get to do in the 1 year program?

University of Florida 2/8 and 2/22. University of Arizona 2/8, 2/10, 2/18. From what I gather talking to people on the interview trail, a lot of programs have been interviewing the same few people up front. Those positions will likely be given away in the next 2-3 weeks and those candidates will cancel future interviews opening up more spots. I know in the past as candidates cancel, programs are still filling into late Mar and even Apr.

Any info on BIDMC's program. Seems like some big names. Not sure how much you get to do in the 1 year program?
Did you get a interview there?
They have 5 positions and last year somebody wrote that a fellow had to be sent to another hospital to get coronary numbers.

Did you get a interview there?
They have 5 positions and last year somebody wrote that a fellow had to be sent to another hospital to get coronary numbers.
I was offered interview there last year but cancelled it due to the snow storm. I did hear they didn't have enough cases but my info is hearsay from third party.

Got an interview @ UMIAMI 2/12. Any thoughts? any insider info would help? any big names?

Guy, can you please write some info about the places that you interviewed at? numbers, autonomy, reputation and other important stuff. It will be helpful for everybody this year to have an idea and compare. And will be very helpful for people applying next year.

From the available dates looks like some of placed that had start include UAMS, UKMC, Medstar GT/WHC, NYU, Wisconsin and others. What did you think about these programs when you interviewed?

Looks like not much is happening in past couple weeks.
Anyone has heard from Mount Sinai (proper) yet?

Anyone know anything about the Lenox Hill Hofstra LIJ program? They sent out some interviews.

can anybody please rank these programs for interventional cardiology (prestige, number of PCIs and peripherals, fellows happiness, TAVR and structural exposure etc..)
methodist Hospital new york
William Beaumont
St Elizabeth Caritas
Henry Ford
UPMC pittsburg
University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Medicine Program
University of Miami

can anybody please rank these programs for interventional cardiology (prestige, number of PCIs and peripherals, fellows happiness, TAVR and structural exposure etc..)
methodist Hospital new york
William Beaumont
St Elizabeth Caritas
Henry Ford
UPMC pittsburg
University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Medicine Program
University of Miami

Has anyone received any offers or heard of anyone getting offers?

For those that have accepted offers, please cancel the rest of your interviews so others can get a go at it.

For those that have accepted offers, please cancel the rest of your interviews so others can get a go at it.

Cancelled 4 interviews. Was told it's bad to go on interviews after you sign.

Guys, anybody can share info on UMass and Brown programs?

any other programs send out invites lately?

any other programs send out invites lately?
Haven't heard from any programs in couple weeks unitl today, got invite from Mt. Sinai, NY. Also Westchester MC just filled thier spot.

@ StentWorld:
UMASS has good STEMI volume being outside of Boston , no much complex PCIs, intravascular imaging or advance circulatory support devices. new but low volume and relatively weak structural procedures (4-5 TAVIs a month, just started MitrClip, no LAA closures). Questionable stability in the faculty as one of their attendings was leaving, unclear why! Autonomy seems to be an issue in that place.

Brown is relatively more laid back, supportive and nice program director, increasingly growing structural program, good volume and operators. They have structural fellowship which takes away the structural exposure from interventional fellows. More advanced devices and complex PCIs.