Interventional Cardiology fellowship July 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cards-fellow-13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Friends,

I think it's time to start a thread on applications/interviews for the academic year July 2017 - June 2018.
For the benefit of all we can share info on programs we know. The useful info would be number of positions, procedural volume, autonomy, call schedule, candidate selection, training in high risk cases, structural and peripheral training, research and so on. Please feel free to ask questions or provide comments.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for starting this, wasn't sure if it had already been started. Going through the process for interventional is a bit different than for residency and fellowship; don't have anyone to lean on since nobody in my class or the class above me applied for interventional from my program.

In any case, does anyone know the timeline for applications for the programs (in California) that are NOT on ERAS (like UC Davis or Kaiser-LA?). Working on finishing ERAS now, was planning on emailing those programs Monday for their applications. (though I see Kaiser LA is on their website)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do ERAS programs wait for LORs before they upload? None of my letter writers have submitted yet.

ERAS programs can now download the applications (including the LoRs) after 12/1. For some reason we can't see anymore if and when the programs download applications.

Does anyone know when the first interview offers start?

Seems like a lot programs have already filled with internal applicants.

So far:
Penn
Mayo Clinic

Last edited:
ERAS programs can now download the applications (including the LoRs) after 12/1. For some reason we can't see anymore if and when the programs download applications.

Called ERAS and said the feature of allowing us to view when programs download your documents is no longer available.

Is everyone getting recommendation letters just from interventional cardiologists or also from noninvasive cardiologists?

Is everyone getting recommendation letters just from interventional cardiologists or also from noninvasive cardiologists?
That depends. One letter is from the PD who in most cases will be non invasive cardiologist. The other two should preferably be from interventional cardiologists. However, since it is procedural specialty, at least one letter should be from an interventional cardiologist.

I hear that CCF is gonna fill internally. Can someone confirm?

Interview invite from UMKC/Saint Luke's Mid-America Heart Institute today (dates 1/22 or 1/29)

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo Clinic and Brigham's both have filled their positions internally, they replied that they filled 2-3 days after we applied through ERAS on 12/1/15, they might have filled even before! I found that to be very annoying and unprofessional not to have the integrity to withdraw from ERAS and make applicants pay money unnecessarily.

Northwestern also internally filled

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when we can expect to start hearing about most interviews?

Also, since there's no match, how long do places give you to accept or decline an offer if they give you one?

Interviews:

UAMS interviews 1/8 and 1/15
UMKC/Saint Luke's Mid-America Heart Institute (dates 1/22 or 1/29)

Filled

UCLA
UPenn
U of Colorado
U of Iowa
Mayo Rochester
Yale
U of Chicago possibly filled
U of Illinois possibly filled
Brigham
Washington University St Louis
Wake Forest
Geisinger PA
UT Southwestern
Baylor
Texas Heart
U of Virginia

Last edited:
Vermont and Rochester filled internally. MUSC is going to fill internally as well if they haven't already.

Anyone know when we can expect to start hearing about most interviews?

Also, since there's no match, how long do places give you to accept or decline an offer if they give you one?

I got most of my interviews in February, and I still got interviews well into april for dates in August. As to how long programs give you, most don't give you much beyond 48 hours, sometimes upto a week. I mostly made my mind as to what my response would be if I got an offer from the program soon after the interview. I got the first offer from my most desired program so I lucked out and accepted it on the spot.

Any idea how many applicants are out there. Those who have interventional fellowships in their institutions should be able to know from the number of applications. We received 30+ applications but that is obviously not representative of the real applicant pool, I guess because we only have one spot and usually end up with an internal candidate every year.

60+ applications to a program with 1-2 spots to 100+ for a program with 3+ spots, in the north east

So far:

Interviews:

Filled

UCLA
UPenn
U of Colorado
U of Iowa
Mayo Rochester
Yale
Brigham
Wake Forest
Geisinger PA
UT Southwestern
Baylor
Texas Heart
U of Virginia
St. Louis Univ.
Indiana University

Mount Sinai St. Luke's-Roosevelt has filled internally as well.

Texas Tech Lubbock is filled for 2017 but of course they didn't bother withdrawing from ERAS.

Letter from Mayo, Rochester- Filled internally. What a waste of $$$

So far:
Interviews:

Filled

UCLA
UPenn
U of Colorado
U of Iowa
Mayo Rochester
Yale
Brigham
Wake Forest
Geisinger PA
UT Southwestern
Baylor
Texas Heart
U of Virginia
Indiana University
Texas Tech Lubbock
Mount Sinai St. Luke's-Roosevelt
U Vermont
U Rochester MC
MUSC

I believe University of Maryland, Northwestern, University of Rochester is also filled.

To summarize from above:

Filled:
UCLA
UPenn
U of Colorado
U of Iowa
Mayo Rochester
Yale
Brigham
Wake Forest
Geisinger PA
UT Southwestern
Baylor
Texas Heart
U of Virginia
Indiana University
Texas Tech Lubbock
U Vermont
U Rochester MC
MUSC
St. Louis University
University of Maryland
Northwestern

Interviews:

I was offered position a month ago for 2017. That program is filled now as well. This whole process is very unfair as I felt the wrath of it last year.

Can personally confirm the following programs are internally filled:
Northwestern
St. Louis University
Mayo Clinic
Indiana University
U. Penn
Ohio State University

In case people are curious about which programs are sending out invites already, the interviews I have been offered so far are:
Scripps
Baylor
Boston University
Beaumont

Sounds like others have heard from UAMS and UMKC, any others?

Filled:
UCLA
UPenn
U of Colorado
U of Iowa
Mayo Rochester
Yale
Brigham
Wake Forest
Geisinger PA
UT Southwestern
Baylor
Texas Heart
U of Virginia
Indiana University
Texas Tech Lubbock
U Vermont
U Rochester MC
MUSC
St. Louis University
University of Maryland
Northwestern
OSU

Interviews:
Emory
Scripps
Baylor
Boston University
William Beaumont

Last edited:
To clarify that's Baylor, Dallas that has sent interview invites. Also got invites from OHSU and Columbia (they offered one day, Jan 22).

Do programs send out multiple batches of interviews or just one?

Rejection from (OHSU) Oregon Health & Science University Hospital

Filled:
UCLA
UPenn
U of Colorado
U of Iowa
Mayo Rochester
Yale
Brigham
Wake Forest
Geisinger PA
UT Southwestern
Baylor
Texas Heart
U of Virginia
Indiana University
Texas Tech Lubbock
U Vermont
U Rochester MC
MUSC
St. Louis University
University of Maryland
Northwestern
OSU

Interviews:
Emory
Scripps
Baylor
Boston University
William Beaumont
Columbia
Baylor Dallas
Oregon
Scripps
William Beaumont
Emory
Henry Ford

Filled:
UCLA
UPenn
U of Colorado
U of Iowa
Mayo Rochester
Yale
Brigham
Wake Forest
Geisinger PA
UT Southwestern
Baylor
Texas Heart
U of Virginia
Indiana University
Texas Tech Lubbock
U Vermont
U Rochester MC
MUSC
St. Louis University
University of Maryland
Northwestern
OSU

Interviews:
Boston University
Columbia
Baylor Dallas
Oregon
Scripps
William Beaumont
Emory
Henry Ford

Do programs send out multiple batches of interviews or just one?
It really depends on program. Some programs due group interview days like for residency and for most of those programs I think they send out invites at one time (or within a few days). Other programs invite people for individual interview days, those are often offered on a rolling basis. I don't know enough about each program to say which ones do which type. For most of those currently listed I get the feeling they do group interviews on set days.

What are the chances of an international ECFMG certified fellow (who has finished cardiology fellowship outside the US) being accepted in any program?

What are the chances of an international ECFMG certified fellow (who has finished cardiology fellowship outside the US) being accepted in any program?

I believe most places require you to complete a 3 year general cardiology fellowship in the US.
However, I may be wrong since I've seen international applicants being accepted in other fields such as EP (although extremely rare).

Mount Sinai actually has 2 interventional positions for international applicants only. Not sure about any other program.

Interview wait list notification sent out for NYMC/Westchester Medical Center

Interview wait list notification sent out for NYMC/Westchester Medical Center

Also got the same wait list notification.
Seems like there are less interviews this time of the year in comparison to prior (or perhaps less people on this forum).

Last edited:
Interview from New York Medical College/ Westchester Medical Center (1/20, 1/25, 1/27, 2/1, 2/3)
Any reviews? They have one spot but 5 IV dates. Seems like a very competitive year