Interventional Cardiology fellowship July 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@ StentWorld:
UMASS has good STEMI volume being outside of Boston , no much complex PCIs, intravascular imaging or advance circulatory support devices. new but low volume and relatively weak structural procedures (4-5 TAVIs a month, just started MitrClip, no LAA closures). Questionable stability in the faculty as one of their attendings was leaving, unclear why! Autonomy seems to be an issue in that place.

Brown is relatively more laid back, supportive and nice program director, increasingly growing structural program, good volume and operators. They have structural fellowship which takes away the structural exposure from interventional fellows. More advanced devices and complex PCIs.

Members don't see this ad.

anybody got offers from St Elizabeth in Boston or Henry Ford or DMC in Detroit?

@ StentWorld:
Brown is relatively more laid back, supportive and nice program director, increasingly growing structural program, good volume and operators. They have structural fellowship which takes away the structural exposure from interventional fellows. More advanced devices and complex PCIs.
What do you think about the peripheral experience at Brown given that they have advanced peripheral fellowship as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone has any idea about the program at U of Chicago. Heard they have low volume but only 1 fellow so no's are actually good for that one person and he gets to do coronary + peripheral + structural in 1 year. Any insights will be useful.

Albany Medical Center sent out invites this week.
Anybody else heard from any programs recently?

I guess the interventional season is over. Anybody wants to share their experience?

Reactions: 1 user
I guess the interventional season is over. Anybody wants to share their experience?

I found the process is awful if you don't have leverage. Meaning you either are in a program where everyone wants to do IC (so you might get left out) or you come from a program where there's no internal IC fellowship. You basically go around the country trying to find a spot where something weird has happened (eg. nobody in that program wants to do IC, only one guy in the class wants to do IC, or the program just likes to do a 50/50 internal/external split etc.)

Overall, I found myself in situations where 30 sad applicants (like myself) were interviewing for one spot. Or there were powerhouse applicants just shopping around cause they wanted to take look.

Furthermore, there's a weird variance in how programs respond. Some decide fast and send out rejection emails. Otherwise won't decide forever. You can call/email them and they will say "yea yea hold on, we're trying to decide"

If you're reading this and you're not a powerhouse applicant with 15 interviews, I would just say hang in there. It's not that you suck. It's just that the process sucks. Plus interventionalists are more interested in going back into the lab rather than sitting down and reading applications.

With all this craziness, it's important to consider that the job market is awful for IC unless you want to go to smaller markets. Then you're probably ok.

I found the process is awful if you don't have leverage. Meaning you either are in a program where everyone wants to do IC (so you might get left out) or you come from a program where there's no internal IC fellowship. You basically go around the country trying to find a spot where something weird has happened (eg. nobody in that program wants to do IC, only one guy in the class wants to do IC, or the program just likes to do a 50/50 internal/external split etc.)

Overall, I found myself in situations where 30 sad applicants (like myself) were interviewing for one spot. Or there were powerhouse applicants just shopping around cause they wanted to take look.

Furthermore, there's a weird variance in how programs respond. Some decide fast and send out rejection emails. Otherwise won't decide forever. You can call/email them and they will say "yea yea hold on, we're trying to decide"

If you're reading this and you're not a powerhouse applicant with 15 interviews, I would just say hang in there. It's not that you suck. It's just that the process sucks. Plus interventionalists are more interested in going back into the lab rather than sitting down and reading applications.

With all this craziness, it's important to consider that the job market is awful for IC unless you want to go to smaller markets. Then you're probably ok.

Completely agree with the above, had the same experience.