Interpreting Away Rotation Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marneel

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am, unfortunately, a pretty noncompetitive ortho applicant (or so I was told).

Step 1 - 239, top 25% in my class in a middle tear MD program, honored 4/6 of my 3rd year (including IM and Surg), AOA pending, strong surgical evaluations, 2 poster presentations, 1 prospective first author manuscript publication,1 abstract publication, 1 lit review pub (ortho), 1 case report pub, 1 patent pending, and pretty unique background before medical school.

My school adviser told me not to apply ortho but it is the only specialty I have ever truly seen myself doing so I applied for away rotations at 13 institutions and within a few weeks I was accepted to 7 aways - most of them at pretty solid institutions (1 being a top 20 program). I immediately withdrew my other applications and accepted all of the aways that my school allowed. Can somebody help me interpret this? Was this plain luck? Am I actually competitive? Do I have a solid shot?

The other students that I know that are applying ortho are the typical 250+, AOA, class president, collegiate athletes. I know I don't measure up to them, but I seem to be well received during rotations because I work hard and I'm pretty easy to get along with. Everything I have read says I am taking a big risk but my ability to get solid away rotations pretty quickly has made me re-evaluate. Does this reflect that I may how some luck getting a solid amount of interviews as well?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t look too deep into away rotation acceptances. Some programs accept literally everyone that applies. What you need to be looking out for is interview invites later on. Some of these programs, you’ll be one of thirty faces at any given time, and they don’t even guarantee you an interview after rotating with them.

You are going to have an uphill battle for sure, but not impossible. Definitely keep working towards ortho if that is what you want to do. Hopefully you ended up accepting aways at programs you have better chances in (unfortunately, probably not the top 20 program). Kill your aways, improve on step 2, and continue research.

Honestly may be worth starting to introspect on possibility of a backup specialty vs all-in ortho (and end up not matching).

Edit: words

Last edited:
Don’t look too deep into away rotation acceptances. Some programs accept literally everyone that applies. What you need to be looking out for is interview invites later on. Some of these programs, you’ll be one of thirty faces at any given time, and they don’t even guarantee you an interview after rotating with them.

You are going to have an uphill battle for sure, but not impossible. Definitely keep working towards ortho if that is what you want to do. Hopefully you ended up accepting aways at programs you have better chances in (unfortunately, probably not the top 20 program). Kill your aways, improve on step 2, and continue research.

Honestly may be worth starting to introspect on possibility of a backup specialty vs all-in ortho (and end up not matching).

Edit: words

Do programs who guarantee interviews at their away rotations tend to screen more heavily? Ie: If you got an away rotation at a top 10 that interviews during the away, and sent you information regarding the interview with your information for the away, would it be assumed they actually like your application? Or do you feel it is more them just accepting on first come first serve?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say that you're non-competitive. Your step score will just hold you out from truly big name institutions, unless you end up AOA, in which case it might bump you up to an average applicant. You'll get screened out of programs unfortunately, as some will have cutoffs of 240.

As a resident now and someone who's been involved in the process a little, don't believe the hype that every single applicant is perfect on paper and in person. Fortunately my scores were good coming out, but I remember advisors telling me I'd be golden because I was a normal dude. Now that I'm on the other side, I see exactly what they mean. A LOT of students shoot themselves in the foot by being too talkative, too comfortable, or just straight up not helpful. A student who comes ready to work, isn't annoying or weird, and is at least relatively knowledgeable, is someone most programs would happily take on.

I can't speak to the screening process for the programs that interview you. Just know that the screening process is very varied. Some programs actually see the applications, while some do not and it's actually a representative for the institution that filters through all visiting applications - at these places that person obviously has no say in who ends up matching at the program or any inner knowledge of their resident selection criteria.

If you're doing 4 rotations, I don't think it will be a complete waste to do one reach that is in the top 20. However, either ask someone or do your research in to those programs first. Some of them, even if they're good in name, will allow you to earn a spot despite an inadequacy on your app. Some of them, even if you come in with Netter's remembered cover to cover, still won't give you a shot.

Also, your medical school matters. If you're coming from a top tier institution, your 239 further is less of an issue. Mid-tier, nothing really changes. Lower tier, then you're definitely facing a steep uphill battle and should choose away rotations very wisely.

Reactions: 1 user
Do programs who guarantee interviews at their away rotations tend to screen more heavily? Ie: If you got an away rotation at a top 10 that interviews during the away, and sent you information regarding the interview with your information for the away, would it be assumed they actually like your application? Or do you feel it is more them just accepting on first come first serve?

Probably. But it’s really gonna be program dependent. And nobody will really know unless they’re in the said program’s admissions committee. Some of these “guaranteed interviews” are literally a 5 min talk with the PD

As a resident now and someone who's been involved in the process a little, don't believe the hype that every single applicant is perfect on paper and in person. Fortunately my scores were good coming out, but I remember advisors telling me I'd be golden because I was a normal dude. Now that I'm on the other side, I see exactly what they mean. A LOT of students shoot themselves in the foot by being too talkative, too comfortable, or just straight up not helpful. A student who comes ready to work, isn't annoying or weird, and is at least relatively knowledgeable, is someone most programs would happily take on.

I'd emphasize this 100x over. As much as possible maintain a blue-collar personality. Down to earth, relatable and ready to work.

I can't speak for the scores or screening process as my time was a while ago and very different in the military, but being a normal dude or dudette who is a reliable contributor to the team will take you wherever you want to go in life. Capitalize on the away rotations you did get and just prove yourself to be a hard-working normal person.

Reactions: 1 users
My screening criteria was the following (I'd say most of my classmates had the same thoughts)

1. Are they annoying?
2. Do they work hard and are they actually helpful?
3. Do I want to have a beer with them after work for the next X years?
4. Are they annoying?

If you can get by these four questions, then you have a great shot. I don't give a **** if you have a 260 and are from "top tier" whatever if you are annoying.

Reactions: 6 users
My screening criteria was the following (I'd say most of my classmates had the same thoughts)

1. Are they annoying?
2. Do they work hard and are they actually helpful?
3. Do I want to have a beer with them after work for the next X years?
4. Are they annoying?

If you can get by these four questions, then you have a great shot. I don't give a **** if you have a 260 and are from "top tier" whatever if you are annoying.
I like this answer.

Reactions: 1 user