Away Rotation Presentation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The away program I am rotating at right now requires us to put together a 10 minute presentation in front of the residents and attendings at the end of our time. They say that “they want us to teach them something that they don’t know” or “go into detail or more depth of something that we do know.”

Does anyone have any good ideas of a topic I can focus on? I have come up with a few, but feel like maybe someone could come up with something more interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I scrubbed 2 TKA, and observed in the corner for two scopes.

This was my first two weeks.

Other days were in clinic

That sounds like the worst place ever......

Reactions: 6 users
I scrubbed 2 TKA, and observed in the corner for two scopes.

This was my first two weeks.

Other days were in clinic

Not gonna ask you what place this was, but sounds like it wasn’t busy.

A great talk would be on knee balancing. It’s an advanced topic so you have to make sure you really understand it well. It’s a topic that is of a PGY2 level. You’ll have to first understand the knee kinemetics and then understand the TKA balancing. It might be a bit too ambitious for a med student though.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe something that’s not ortho? Did they say it has to be in ortho? I gave a talk on a hobby on one of my rotations...

Maybe some peds stuff, although I don’t know how useful it will be for anyone not going into peds

I wouldn't do this

There’s very little chance you are going to tell the ortho residents something they don’t already know. I would ask what types of things others have presented in the past. Depending on the program, they might want something non-ortho. I have seen both from my 4th year rotations, so it’s worth asking about. I wouldn’t do something non-ortho without having some idea of what others have presented in the past. Highly dependent on the program.

There’s very little chance you are going to tell the ortho residents something they don’t already know. I would ask what types of things others have presented in the past. Depending on the program, they might want something non-ortho. I have seen both from my 4th year rotations, so it’s worth asking about. I wouldn’t do something non-ortho without having some idea of what others have presented in the past. Highly dependent on the program.

The presentation almost always is on an ortho topic.

Don’t do knee balancing. Balancing a varus or valgus knees would probably be topics individually and I don’t think an MS4 who was a MS3 a couple weeks ago could do it well.

A couple I saw as a student were TJ surgery, femoroacetabular imingment, and Blounts disease.

Ideally it should be on something you’ve seen that’s not super common, but failing that talk to the residents to see what topics have been presented.