Internship vs working as GP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alabastertree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone- Was wondering if you could give me some advice. I'm a recent graduate (this year), and was hired on as a GP for a year, with mentorship. Seemed like the perfect situation, and I really liked working there- until I got laid off because the expected expansion to evening hours (and increase in clientele) never happened. I asked for advice at the exit interview, and was told that some clients had complained that I didn't seem confident- they recommended an internship as a way to improve this. My question is this- is an internship the best thing for a person in my situation? I know the AVMA research indicates that there isn't a huge improvement salary wise between doing an internship and working a few years. There are a few things I'm really interested in (ophthalmology, behavior), so I wouldn't be entirely averse to an internship, but I'm not sure I want to spend another 3-4 years in internship and residency- feeling a bit burned out with school. I've also got a few other influencing factors: my GPA isn't that great b/c I had to repeat a year d/t family illness, and I can't move wherever with the scramble b/c of my significant other. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Most new grads aren't confident. An internship will only potentially help you gain confidence in some areas, but not in most of the areas that a GP is expected to be knowledgeable in. I was definitely more confident in my abilities to manage critical patients (HBC, DKA, seizure patient, etc) following my internship, however I would not have known what to do with a derm/behaviour case (and I still don't). In your case, I would not seek out an internship. You'll gain more confidence with time/experience, and in the meantime - fake it until you make it!

Reactions: 1 user
My question is this- is an internship the best thing for a person in my situation?
I don't think so. After working with new grads straight from school and those straight from an internship, I would say neither exhibit a great amount of confidence with clients - i.e. doing an internship didn't help them at all. It's a new grad thing; those who did an internship were more confident and skilled at complete work ups of complex cases, but they weren't more confident in client communication and bedside manner. They also weren't any better at most of the common stuff that comes in the door with a small budget attached to them, like otitis and atopy. The only thing I think improves confidence with clients (and patients) is practice, remembering good experiences and outcomes, and learning from bad experiences and outcomes.
I think the only reason to do an internship is if you are dedicated to pursuing a specialty.....I think if you need more confidence, you need practice in a supportive GP clinic with docs and staff who will treat you as a doctor, not as a student.
(Edited to add: sorry you lost your good job, and good for you for asking for advice and giving it some serious thought!)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're planning on staying in GP, don't do an internship. Find a hospital that respects you're a new grad and not going to be 100% confident... then fake it till you make it. :laugh:

There are a few things I'm really interested in (ophthalmology, behavior), so I wouldn't be entirely averse to an internship, but I'm not sure I want to spend another 3-4 years in internship and residency- feeling a bit burned out with school. I've also got a few other influencing factors: my GPA isn't that great b/c I had to repeat a year d/t family illness, and I can't move wherever with the scramble b/c of my significant other. Thank you!

There are a few things here to consider:
- internship and residency are clinical positions and have nothing to do with being "burnt out with school". Are you burnt out with vet med in general?
- a "not so great GPA" is far from being the most important factor in getting an intersnhip. It also depends what the number actually is. Plus you can certainly explain it in your letter of intent.
- Doing an internship to get paid more in GP is questionable as there is not a direct correlation. Sometimes it happens, sometimes you get paid exactly the same. Some practices only take internship trained people, others don't at all.
- Match and scramble are different things. I'm assuming you know this and it's just the way it's written. If not check my blog for more info.
- Since you can't move all over the country, you should look into what positions are available around where you live and only apply and rank those programs.
- 4 years would be the minimum for internship + residency. Might be more if you don't match, especially if you're limited geographically.
- Bottom line, even before any of the above, you'll have to decide if you enjoy ophtho/behavior/other enough to specialize. Then add on all the other factors.