international med grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmeait

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi im an international medical graduate. i did step one in november and got a pretty decent score. im planning to do step 2 in june ( both ck and cs). my interest is in urology and i know how competitive that field is so im just asking advice on alternatives incase i dont match and how to make myself more likely to match in this field. thanks alot in advance

Members don't see this ad.

hi im an international medical graduate. i did step one in november and got a pretty decent score. im planning to do step 2 in june ( both ck and cs). my interest is in urology and i know how competitive that field is so im just asking advice on alternatives incase i dont match and how to make myself more likely to match in this field. thanks alot in advance
user_online.gif
progress.gif

I think you'll get more response down in the Surgery/Urology section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances for you to match into urology as an IMG are almost zero. I have never met an IMG urology resident. The reason is because there are very few spots, and it is a very, very popular field among US medical students right now. Even the majority of US medical students with good USMLE scores cannot get into urology because it is so ultracompetitive. I went to a medical school ranked in the top 10 in the US and we had several people who wanted to do things like urology and plastic surgery and dermatology who just couldn't do it because they could get in - all had good USMLE scores as well. You basically have to have a perfect application to get one of those - great letters of recommendation, high USMLE Scores, probably some research and almost have to go to a US school.

You may need to decide on your priorities. Is it more important to train in the US or is it more important to you to be a urologist? If the former, then go for something like IM, family practice, physicial med/rehab, psychiatry, or perhaps general surgery if you really want to do something surgical. If it is the latter, you may need to stay in your country to train as a urologist, or explore other countries (? Australia) though I have no idea how competitive urology would be there.

thanks for the response. i pretty much figured it will be challenging. is urogynecology offered as a post graduate specialty there or is it only a fellowship course after finishing obgyn program?? thanks

I'd ask in the ob/gyn and urology forums. I think the urogynecology is a subspecialty of ob/gyn, so would require a 4 year ob/gyn residency first.
I think ob/gyn would be very significantly easier for you to get (for anyone...AMG or IMG) if you don't have pretty much perfect USMLE scores and numerous urology publications.

I think that dragonfly presents a more pessimistic view of urology at least. Having perfect scores and perfect grades and going to a top tier school are NOT required to match in urology. I submit that having competitive scores, good LOR's from notable people in the field of urology, research, and having a good personality are key to matching. BTW congrats to all my fellow MCW'ers that matched in uro! Strong work, gentlemen.

I think that dragonfly presents a more pessimistic view of urology at least. Having perfect scores and perfect grades and going to a top tier school are NOT required to match in urology. I submit that having competitive scores, good LOR's from notable people in the field of urology, research, and having a good personality are key to matching. BTW congrats to all my fellow MCW'ers that matched in uro! Strong work, gentlemen.

Maybe pessimistic from someone at an AMG, but not for an IMG. I've got no data to back it up since Urology has their own match and so my NRMP data is useless, but I'd be very surprised to see anything more than a handful of IMG's matching a year and those would have to be exceptionally exceptional.

Maybe pessimistic from someone at an AMG, but not for an IMG. I've got no data to back it up since Urology has their own match and so my NRMP data is useless, but I'd be very surprised to see anything more than a handful of IMG's matching a year and those would have to be exceptionally exceptional.

Just as a point of reference, look at urologymatch.com and see this year's match list - I believe that there were three or four graduates of international universities. This says nothing about their competitiveness, though; I am sure that they were outstanding candidates with excellent credentials, or else they would not have matched.

To the OP: Approach a faculty member and see what they think of your competitiveness. :thumbup: Best to get it straight from people in the know rather than hearsay on an anonymous internet forum.

I agree with you, I think I mostly stated the previous to make myself feel better about next years match.

I would have to agree with others that being an IMG it will be close to impossible to match. However, there are some very big steps you can do to improve your situtation and possibly match, but this is by no means a guarantee.

1) You must make connections at a US school at which you have a reasonable chance in matching and hook up to do research for an attending and if he has pull this may help you more so than anything else

Lot of IMG's that match scored some "fellowship" ie 2-3 years of research after which they get a PGY1 spot and a lot of these guys tend to be attendings in other countries.

To just apply and pray that you get in, your chances are theoretical even with phenomenal scores as most places will not interview you simply b/c you are an IMG.

It's not impossible, but like some other posters said, really see if you want to put your life on hold for 2-3 years of doing research to potentially match.

Now I am also assuming that your scores are super stellar like 250+.

Otherwise you may be better off trying to do either GS or OB/GYN then uro-gyn.

Good luck.

I know several IMG's doing Urology.

The one I know most about had completed a urology residency in another country, then came to the US and did extensive research (1yr +) in a US Urology department, and they accepted him into a PGY-1 spot.

Good Luck!