Foreign Citizen, US grad matching to Uro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorku

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who knows how steeper the climb is for a US medical school graduate who is a Canadian citizen? I do not have a green card and will have to ask for some extra paperwork from the place that takes me. Is this a big deal? All I hear is scaremongering like: "Half the places are not even gonna look at you...."
Does this mean that I have to walk on water to match?
Please help if you went through a similar situation? I guess any advice from a US grad who was an international student would be very appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow thanks, lots of info!
Interesting visa issues for sure, might use that lawyer of yours in the future :).
However, it is a bit apples and oranges since you are a Podiatrist.
1) not sure how podiatry residency competes with Urology residency in terms of competitiveness.
2) I am not going to be devastated if I only get a J1 visa as the prospect of going back for 2 years does not scare me as Urologists are very needed and fellowships are easy to get in Canada. Meaning that I can work in Canada for 2 years and then come back.

So the deal here is to get any visa just to land that Uro residency.

It would be great if anyone can share the experience of getting a Uro residency with a similar status.
Thanks for your reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a Foreign US grad is a grey zone, but as someone who has been there before, and know tons of people who have also matched its not impossible. You dont have to walk on water either.
if your scores are great, then you might have a shot at great programs. Programs will treat you like any other US citizen. However, make sure you apply to programs that sponsor H1 or J1 visas. They will look at you and prefer you to an IMG.

Being a Foreign US grad is a grey zone, but as someone who has been there before, and know tons of people who have also matched its not impossible. You dont have to walk on water either.
if your scores are great, then you might have a shot at great programs. Programs will treat you like any other US citizen. However, make sure you apply to programs that sponsor H1 or J1 visas. They will look at you and prefer you to an IMG.
How did you go about finding out which programs sponsor H1/J1?
Can you please share some more specific info like which specialty did you apply (from your response I am not sure if you are a Uro)?
How did you go about asking for visa stuff? How did program directors treat you (was it awkward during the process)? If you can, please PM me if it is too personal.
Thank you!

So what there were no international US medical grads in Urology on this forum?
Then please tell me a story of someone you heard of?
thanks again!