insight on my situation

moes27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I recently took the oat and scored a 310 my overall gpa is like a 3.09 to 3.1. My question is what could I do to make my application stronge. I also have been working as an optician for 2 years so I have experience. Helpful comments are much appreciated thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Try to re-write the OAT and bring your scores up as much as you can. Maybe focus on studying more for the sections you are weaker on. Have you completed your Bachelor's already, or are you still in school? If you still have some time in your undergrad left, do as much as you can to bring up your GPA.

You have the work experience as an optician on your side! If you have not already, try to shadow/volunteer with a few optometrists as well. Also, try to get some more volunteering to amp up your extra curriculars. If you're looking into optometry-specific volunteer opportunities, look into things like VOSH, Special Olympics vision screenings, etc (of course this all depends on when you're planning to apply). Of course, volunteer for these things because you want to, not because you need to! They are great ways to contribute to the community and get some hands on experience at the same time!

I am currently volunteering at my mosque for the month of ramadan I actually have a lot of shadowing hours with the doctor I work with. I soon will getting some shadowing hours at a giant eye clinic with some surgeons and optometrists. I am currently working on my bachelors I will be done this May. My plan is to apply by early August to increase my chances. I am also part of 2 clubs at school