Info about UCC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PBRIZ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an offer from UCC (Cork). I also received one from RCSI. The tuition difference is significant, around 13, 000 euros. I haven't seen much discussion about UCC like its reputation, academic life, etc... If anybody can give me some information/expereinces/ impressions of UCC that would help me out a lot.

Also I haven't heard from Trinity or UCD yet. Has anybody been rejected by either of these schools???

Members don't see this ad.

[I've heard only good things about UCC. save the money.

I picked UCC over RCSI because of money and don't regret it one bit. Don't be swayed by the "it's easier to go back to America if you go to RCSI" posts. I've never seen any data to support this.

The only school I might pick if I had to do it all over again is Trinity. And it would be a REALLY tough choice for me to decide between Trinity and UCC. There's so many great things about both of them!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sage880 said:
I picked UCC over RCSI because of money and don't regret it one bit. Don't be swayed by the "it's easier to go back to America if you go to RCSI" posts. I've never seen any data to support this.

The only school I might pick if I had to do it all over again is Trinity. And it would be a REALLY tough choice for me to decide between Trinity and UCC. There's so many great things about both of them!

Sage880 are you studying at UCC right now? I am in the process of trying to plan out the financials of going to UCC. If you are studying there this year I hope you could give me some insight on a few things.

1. How much approx. are you spending on books for classes?
2. How much approx. do you spend per month (USD or CAD) on food?
3. Any unexpected costs?
4. Does tuition go up every year like RCSI by 5-7%?

If you could give me some good info, details, and/or advice about UCC that would be a big help. Thanks

PBRIZ said:
Sage880 are you studying at UCC right now? I am in the process of trying to plan out the financials of going to UCC. If you are studying there this year I hope you could give me some insight on a few things.

1. How much approx. are you spending on books for classes?
2. How much approx. do you spend per month (USD or CAD) on food?
3. Any unexpected costs?
4. Does tuition go up every year like RCSI by 5-7%?

If you could give me some good info, details, and/or advice about UCC that would be a big help. Thanks
Hey, yes I am at UCC right now. I heard the tuition goes up every year but I didn't think it was 5-7%. I heard 2-3% somewhere. I'm not sure though!

I took a lot of pre-med "med" classes so I actually brought a lot of books. You really don't need to use the recommended text books. Actually, I think the people who use the books they like do much better - especially in biochem and phys. I bought Moore's anatomy here though - I think it was 50 Euro (35 for baby Moore). Text books actually cheaper here then back in Canada - even after the exchange rate.

I could spend less on food. Lunch at school is about 5 Euro. I'd save that if I brought stuff. Groceries are about 50 Euro a week. I just made that number up though since I can't remember. That might be a little high?

I joined a lot of sports and there are away tournements. Those are all subsidized so they're cheap but they still cost money. Also, a night out drinking here is expensive but you can save by drinking at home first with friends! Sounds cheap but people go out here a lot and it's the difference between a 15 Euro night and a 60 Euro night.

The biggest change I'm making next year is not staying in residence. The residences here are really nice but an apartment is much cheaper. I didn't know Cork so I'm glad I did stay in res but I'm hopeing to save some money next year on housing.

The other thing you can do is get a job. I work one or two nights a week and that usually is more then enough money for groceries and nights out. I also find I'm more productive if I have lots going on. Lots of nights I'd stay at school and study if I'm going to the gym later. If I didn't have that I'd probably end up going home and watching tv. So think about working here - it's pretty easy to find a job!

Hope that helps. Sorry for rambling,

-Sage