Independent licensing timeline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ilikebuttertoast1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says, whats the timeline for independent licensing? When do I apply? second half of pgy3? or after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied for my state license around November of PGY3, but had a job offer signed and a start date of July 1.

I stayed on at my institution for fellowship, but applied for my second state license in January of my last year of fellowship to start the credentialing process with an anticipated start date of mid-July.

Apply as soon as you know what state you'll be living in. I've had one state license take two months while another one took six.

Reactions: 1 user
It can be anywhere from a few weeks to 6+ months, totally dependent on which state you're in. Honestly, if you know what state you're going to be working in, better to just apply for it sooner rather than later. If you're a final-year resident now, start working on your application, submit it around the beginning of the year.

This goes for everyone, not just you. Apply ASAP to whatever state you both want to end up living in and are qualified to apply for (1 year required of PGY vs 2 years). Should something terrible happen, having that medical license will absolutely save your hiney while you figure out your next move.

Reactions: 3 users
This goes for everyone, not just you. Apply ASAP to whatever state you both want to end up living in and are qualified to apply for (1 year required of PGY vs 2 years). Should something terrible happen, having that medical license will absolutely save your hiney while you figure out your next move.
I would go so far to say if you are in a state that requires 3 years of residency for a license, get a license in a state that requires 1 or 2 years. Eyes on the prize. The goal of all the time and money you've invested (pre-med, med school, residency, and exams) is to get a full license to practice medicine. Stuff happens that can hinder getting a license: an extra drink at Thanksgiving, a puff off a joint at a party, a petty attending, a patient complaint, a false accusation from an angry ex or a patient you refused to prescribe opioids.

I applied for my unrestricted license in PGY2 in the state I was training in (only requires 1 yr of GME), and I applied for my unrestricted license in the state I am planning to move to in PGY4 (requires 3 yrs of GME). The latter I didn't get until PGY5, straight up took 6+ months.

I'm very happy I did that. It's a requirement for graduation and board certification, which I don't have to worry about. Pretty much every job I've interviewed with has asked about it, and when they assumed I didn't have it, they looked at it as something that would delay my start, because it delays credentialing.

My advice is always to get it as soon as you're eligible. That way you have it in hand, and if something happens in training, you at Ieast are licensed.