incomplete file and interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spinestudent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...so my recent mcat scores are in and they are pretty good for the schools I am shooting for(11P 11V 10B). My gpa from a unranked state school is also pretty good(3.85).

I've turned in a few secondaries at some schools, and now my mcat scores should have arrived there. Only problem is 1 or 2 LOR's from each of these secondaries has yet to arrive. Knowing one of my letter writers, it may be another month before he sends it in.

Is it possible for a decision on whether or not to grant an interview be made before 1 or 2 LOR's get in? At the state school I'm really gunning for, people with 3.3/24's often get interviews, so I know I'm going to get an interview. But I know how important timing is, and with my august mcat I want to get an interview there as soon as possible. I don't expect the school to make a decision on addmitance/waitlist/rejection before ALL the LOR's are in and my file is totally complete, but what about just an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I think most schools require that your file be complete before it's placed under review for a possible interview. I would call the schools you're concerned about and ask them. Then put some pressure on your LOR writers.

I'm not sure how it happened but I have recieved an interview invite from U of Mich before my secondary was even complete. I was filling out the secondary and I happened to pay a little closer attention to the insructions on the status page. I freaked out when I read "we have decided to offer you an interview...", it is my first invite. I love their program and I'm still on cloud nine. Anyway I would say yes, your scenario is possible, depending on the school.
Hope my invite isn't a mistake, I have a really strong app, but I never expected an invite before the secondary.

rgporter, the same thing happened to me and i've yet to turn in their secondary. i know, i'm slow :p i too thought it was a mistake but apparently it's not as uncommon as we think :) i think u of m might be the exception to the rule tho...