Incomplete prereqs questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jahangir89

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some further clarification on something gonnif said in the past to the effect that "adcoms do not formally check for prereqs." Should I take from that that I can apply before completing all my prereqs because adcoms won't check if I have them all complete? I was under the impression adcoms go through your grades subject by subject or at the very least check what grades you got in all the science subjects at least. At this point, I have all prereqs complete except for physics and organic chemistry sequences. In other words, I've completed both semesters of gen chem, bio, english and semester of statistics.

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply but do you have a plan to get both organic and physics done before you would matriculate.

They most certainly do check prereqs post acceptance

Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering if I could get some further clarification on something gonnif said in the past to the effect that "adcoms do not formally check for prereqs." Should I take from that that I can apply before completing all my prereqs because adcoms won't check if I have them all complete? I was under the impression adcoms go through your grades subject by subject or at the very least check what grades you got in all the science subjects at least. At this point, I have all prereqs complete except for physics and organic chemistry sequences. In other words, I've completed both semesters of gen chem, bio, english and semester of statistics.
If you haven't taken all the classes then you probably haven't taken the MCAT yet. I would get those done before you apply in case something goes wrong that way you don't waste an application and money. You also need those grades and MCAT to make your school list.
You have to send your transcripts to amcas and aacomas as well as your medical school so they will know.
If that picture is you I would change that asap.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can apply but do you have a plan to get both organic and physics done before you would matriculate.

They most certainly do check prereqs post acceptance
Hey, thanks for your response. Yes, I do have a plan. Physics 1 and o chem 1 this fall and physics 2 and o chem 2 next spring. I guess where my confusion is coming from is the notion that “they check for prereqs post acceptance.” I mean, I’m having a hard time picturing an adcom accepting someone without knowing, let’s say, what grade they got in o chem for example. I’m getting the impression that acceptance mostly revolves around your gpa and sgpa and not a subject by subject evaluation. Would you say that’s a fairly accurate understanding on my part of how this process is usually seen to play out at most schools? Thanks again.

Hey, thanks for your response. Yes, I do have a plan. Physics 1 and o chem 1 this fall and physics 2 and o chem 2 next spring. I guess where my confusion is coming from is the notion that “they check for prereqs post acceptance.” I mean, I’m having a hard time picturing an adcom accepting someone without knowing, let’s say, what grade they got in o chem for example. I’m getting the impression that acceptance mostly revolves around your gpa and sgpa and not a subject by subject evaluation. Would you say that’s a fairly accurate understanding on my part of how this process is usually seen to play out at most schools? Thanks again.
The offer letter template usually states your offer is conditional upon completing and passing all prerequisites. We trust the grade pattern you show us when you apply when the offer is made. Failing a class means we take away your offer and give it to someone on the waitlist. That's why waitlists can move in May or June.

If possible, I would recommend trying to do at least the first sequences this summer. It would give you a much larger margin of error (ex. If a covid strain came back leading to cancelled spring classes)