Incomplete grade, finishing course later

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessicakrystel

Reaction score
I had surgery to rid a cancerous tumor and I ended up missing one of my biology exams. I have the option to make up the exam that I missed over the summer, but I would have to take an incomplete grade right now.

They told me that the "I" will be removed from my transcript and it will be replaced with my new grade once I take the exam. I will not be applying for medical school for another year, so I am wondering if I need to put the "I" on my application, or do I just put the replaced grade on there when I do end up applying? They won't know that I had an "I" grade since my school removes it from my transcript right?

Members don't see this ad.

I had surgery to rid a cancerous tumor and I ended up missing one of my biology exams. I have the option to make up the exam that I missed over the summer, but I would have to take an incomplete grade right now.

They told me that the "I" will be removed from my transcript and it will be replaced with my new grade once I take the exam. I will not be applying for medical school for another year, so I am wondering if I need to put the "I" on my application, or do I just put the replaced grade on there when I do end up applying? They won't know that I had an "I" grade since my school removes it from my transcript right?
Hopefully you are okay now!!! That's the most important thing. This is nothing to worry about.

You have a special circumstance, and your school is making an accommodation for you. The "I" is just a temporary place holder, probably in case you do not end up taking the exam.

By the time you apply, there will be no "I" to report. In fact, doing so will create problems because AMCAS will not be able to validate it, since it will not exist anywhere! Just relax and focus on recovering and doing well on your exam.

Reactions: 2 users
This is not a problem and I hope you are doing better health wise, that is what's most important. Once you finish the exam, your grade will no longer be an "Incomplete" and AMCAS will get the transcript with whichever grade you ultimately get.

Even if it remained an "Incomplete", you can easily explain that on your application, and I don't think anyone would ding you for it.

Reactions: 1 user