Incoming Freshman Class....Accepted Students..Where is everyone going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phlipsquad

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
For all you accepted incoming freshman med students out there, can you mention your status and your school? Im hoping we can start a thread to know who is going where, in order that we are able to have connections and a better social and academic network with those going to their particular alma mater.

Phlipsquad here...UST faculty of med and surgery..manila

Members don't see this ad.

phlipsquad said:
Hi,
For all you accepted incoming freshman med students out there, can you mention your status and your school? Im hoping we can start a thread to know who is going where, in order that we are able to have connections and a better social and academic network with those going to their particular alma mater.

Phlipsquad here...UST faculty of med and surgery..manila

-Well, I'm still trying to complete me enrollment and at the same time gather infos about feu.

Hnerypaoho here, Far Eastern University Nicanor Reyes Medical Foundation! Quezon City, Philippines

Hi, I've been accepted at the Cebu Institute of Medicine (CIM Velez) and start June '05. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
goodluck, class 2009!! :)

girlie78 said:
Hi, I've been accepted at the Cebu Institute of Medicine (CIM Velez) and start June '05. :D
Congrats Girlie! I heard great things about CIM. Take care

Still have to do an interview...but as of right now.

GoldenAzn here...UST faculty of med and surgery as well for me.

hello fellow freshies!!!

i'll be enrolling in UP College of Medicine this coming school year! goodluck to us!

anyway, i'm kinda new here in this forum. this is my first post actually...

marooner said:
hello fellow freshies!!!

i'll be enrolling in UP College of Medicine this coming school year! goodluck to us!

hi marooner. woah! you got accepted to to UP-CM. Man you're really something! Congratulations!

a_cube here, PLM College of Medicine. Godbless to all of us!!!

hey a_cube! i'm not really something... maybe i got lucky.... hehehehe...

hey guys! it seems that we all came from different schools! that's nice! we could share our experiences to each other... that would be fantastic! hopefully we could still find time to post here admist the toxicity that is about to loom over us... hehehehe....

for all..where did you guys go for undergrad? I was just curious..especially if there are any Fil-Ams

To all the NEWBIES!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad that I'm through with med school!

Now it's your turn!

Muwahahahahahahhahaha!

marooner said:
hello fellow freshies!!!

Congratulations marooner...WOW! UP med! Good luck to you and to us all!

hello! i have been to school this afternoon and i happen to pass by biochem building... and gosh! i was able to smell the "aroma " of cadavers... creepy but i'm excited as well! remember we woould be dissecting cadavers in our first year!!!

anyway, what made you decide to pursue medicine? why medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
ei guys just wanna ask what premed course did you take and form what school.. you might happen to know some of my friends..
i took up BS biology at De La Salle University Dasmariñas

a_cube07 said:
ei guys just wanna ask what premed course did you take and form what school.. you might happen to know some of my friends..
i took up BS biology at De La Salle University Dasmariñas

-well, I took med tech at in ceu! batch 2002

itspayjay said:
UST, incoming 1st year!!! :)
Im first year too in UST. Nice meeting you. I am sooo soo very excited! Although a part of me has some fear due to the upcoming difficulty, I am trying to be positive. Take care

hehehe!!! I just enrolled awhile ago! :) I know... may halong takot talaga!! I'll be staying at a dorm near the school. :eek: Maraming adjustments for me...

phlipsquad said:
Im first year too in UST. Nice meeting you. I am sooo soo very excited! Although a part of me has some fear due to the upcoming difficulty, I am trying to be positive. Take care

hnerypaoho said:
-well, I took med tech at in ceu! batch 2002

wow medtech.. i heard medtechs are the usual students who top the med class :)

a_cube07 said:
wow medtech.. i heard medtechs are the usual students who top the med class :)

-nah! not all med tech grad top the med school. it's all up to the student. but anyway, I'll take it as a compliment! :laugh:

pmpndaflip said:
for all..where did you guys go for undergrad? I was just curious..especially if there are any Fil-Ams

I was a double BS major in Microbiology and Cell Science and Zoology..with a minor in chemistry..but I mean it say a mouthful but it's really only a few classes here and there...hope that helps ya.

what curriculum does the UST Med use now? the traditional or the problem-based one?

marooner said:
what curriculum does the UST Med use now? the traditional or the problem-based one?

i think its pbl... is it true that if you are after the USMLE you should prefer a pBl school but if youre after for phil boards, trad is far better?

that's what they say! why? does PLM uses the traditional curriculum still?

marooner said:
that's what they say! why? does PLM uses the traditional curriculum still?

i really hav no idea... yep traditional it is..

how are all of you guys preparing for med school?

hey a_cube! so PLM still use the traditional curriculum? well that's nice! at least you won't have problems with the board exams... unless they are planning to change the format of the exam! how about other schools? what schools are still using the traditional curriculum.

the curriculum in UP is kinda weird. it's a combination of both Problem-based and Trad curriculum. i still can't fully understand it though!

hey a_cube! so PLM still use the traditional curriculum? well that's nice! at least you won't have problems with the board exams... unless they are planning to change the format of the exam! how about other schools? what schools are still using the traditional curriculum.

really don't do much. just doing the usual thing i'm doing. upperclassmen are encouraging me as early as now to review some notes specially in biochem, i said no way! gotta have gud tym this summer. i mean really ggood tym! things would never be the same when i enter the medschool...

trad curriculum? i think uerm uses trad curriculum...

To all incoming Freshman going to filipino med schools this year!

We have approximately 1 month of freedom left until school starts! Enjoy the rest of your break and best of luck in your medical studies!

*Does anyone out there share my upmost excitement...mixed with fear!

a_cube07 said:

really don't do much. just doing the usual thing i'm doing. upperclassmen are encouraging me as early as now to review some notes specially in biochem, i said no way! gotta have gud tym this summer. i mean really ggood tym! things would never be the same when i enter the medschool...

trad curriculum? i think uerm uses trad curriculum...

Call me crazy, but I have gone through the skeletal system, muscular system, and spinal nerves the past two months. I tried to memorize all of them, and I think I have succeeded in memorizing at least 80% of it. I hope this gives me a little edge when we start 1st year! I figured, i still enjoyed my break anyway. I spent one hour twice a week to look over the anatomy, and it did not take too much of my time. Also, having taken anatomy in undergrad helped me remember a few of these things.

Anyone out there reviewing before 1st year classes start?

phlipsquad said:
Call me crazy, but I have gone through the skeletal system, muscular system, and spinal nerves the past two months. I tried to memorize all of them, and I think I have succeeded in memorizing at least 80% of it. I hope this gives me a little edge when we start 1st year! I figured, i still enjoyed my break anyway. I spent one hour twice a week to look over the anatomy, and it did not take too much of my time. Also, having taken anatomy in undergrad helped me remember a few of these things.

Anyone out there reviewing before 1st year classes start?

Well looks like I'm not a good boy at all compare to you. Total time reviewing so far equals 0 hours and 0 mins. So yeah you have a huge learning curve ahead of me...not a little edge. All I got is from my past classes during undergrad. But, I've been tryign to memorize the language to be honest. I guess I've been enjoying my break way too much. Also been buying stuff here before I leave so that I can have a ministockpile before I run out and need a box from the parents..since I know some of my personal hygene stuff probably won't be found over there. Well I'll see you probably over there since I'm leaving this wednesday and going to do my interview/physical stuff the next week. Then using the rest of the time to get use to life over there/vacationing for the last few weeks before school starts. Also using the time to find furniture and what not that I might need over there.

Straight up i'm a bit excited but mostly sad because of all the going away parties with the friends I've been through the last 2 weekends.

Anyways (I know off the wall question)...I was wondering since you've been busy preparing yourself for school. You do any vaccination eh? Just trying to see if you slipped up on anything hehe being our model student over here. Because that might actually be more important in the early few days than any book studying that you can do. It would suck having Hep A kicking your ass.

I remember feeling more sad then excited before I went to the Philippines, it took a while but I got over it. And you will be shocked how fast time flies and you realize you are nearly done. But I remember going through it, it seemed very slow, yet come exam time, there was never enough time. :)

I prepared just like you did, I worked on finding furniture, attending go away parties, vacationed. I spent 0 time preparing for school work and I still did very well first year.

Good luck to all of those going to the Philippines for medical school

Immunizations to get: hepatitis a, hepatitis B, typhoid if you can get it, tetanus, and you might as well throw in the chicken pox vaccine if you have not yet had that.

Hi Spartan Doc,

Can you tell us one more time? When did you take Step I, and what is your opinion as to taking Step I at the end of 2nd year, as opposed to the end of 3rd year or 4th year? What do you feel is most optimal, most possible....etc?

Saipan

GoldenAzn said:
Well looks like I'm not a good boy at all compare to you. Total time reviewing so far equals 0 hours and 0 mins. So yeah you have a huge learning curve ahead of me...not a little edge. All I got is from my past classes during undergrad. But, I've been tryign to memorize the language to be honest. I guess I've been enjoying my break way too much. Also been buying stuff here before I leave so that I can have a ministockpile before I run out and need a box from the parents..since I know some of my personal hygene stuff probably won't be found over there. Well I'll see you probably over there since I'm leaving this wednesday and going to do my interview/physical stuff the next week. Then using the rest of the time to get use to life over there/vacationing for the last few weeks before school starts. Also using the time to find furniture and what not that I might need over there.

Straight up i'm a bit excited but mostly sad because of all the going away parties with the friends I've been through the last 2 weekends.

Anyways (I know off the wall question)...I was wondering since you've been busy preparing yourself for school. You do any vaccination eh? Just trying to see if you slipped up on anything hehe being our model student over here. Because that might actually be more important in the early few days than any book studying that you can do. It would suck having Hep A kicking your ass.

Hey Golden,
Trust me...I am not what you consider a model student. That studying came about from my fear of rumors regarding the intensity, difficulty, and sheer volume (in terms of memorization) of medical school. Trust me, I also had some fun, Just this weekend, I got so pissed drunk.

As for vaccinations, I have not even checked (model student huh? LOL). I think I have all the heps though.

Anyway, I can't believe you are leaving this week? I am leaving in the next 2 weeks. Well, have a safe trip to the Phils and hope to see you at UST.

Spartan Doc said:
I remember feeling more sad then excited before I went to the Philippines, it took a while but I got over it. And you will be shocked how fast time flies and you realize you are nearly done. But I remember going through it, it seemed very slow, yet come exam time, there was never enough time. :)

I prepared just like you did, I worked on finding furniture, attending go away parties, vacationed. I spent 0 time preparing for school work and I still did very well first year.

Good luck to all of those going to the Philippines for medical school

Immunizations to get: hepatitis a, hepatitis B, typhoid if you can get it, tetanus, and you might as well throw in the chicken pox vaccine if you have not yet had that.

Nice to hear from you Spartan again. I do feel sad for leaving my friends here and stuff but ...you gotta do what you gotta do...you know. Anyway, thanks for all your help in the past posts and hope to still hear from you in upcoming posts.

GOOD LUCK CLASS OF 2009!

What I did was this: I graduated in Aprill of 2002, took my TOEFL 1 month after grad, took my step 1, 3 months after grad, took step 2, 3 months after that and CSA 2 months after that. In between step 1 and step 2 I sent out my applications. And between CSA and Step 2 I interviewed.

Does anybody know if USMLE review books like BRS physiology, Lippencott's Biochem review, etc are available in Manila bookstores?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

What: Informal meeting of doctors to talk about medical problems, issues and other concerns.
Where: 4th Floor, Sonlie Building, 2652 Taft Avenue, Pasay City
(between LRT Libertad and EDSA station)
When: May 28, 2005, Saturday, 5 - 8 p.m.
How: If you or your friends would like to come, please text or call us so we can prepare food.
Why: Our desire is to help fellow doctors. Like a doctors' support group.

- Willie (Cell: 0917-387-6750 & Email: [email protected])

WHY YOU SHOULD ATTEND MAY 28, 2005 MEETING:
1. This is just an informal dinner meeting. No expectations, no commitments.
(Students, residents, consultants are all welcome.)
2. Network and connect with other doctors: Take this chance to catch up with old friends and meet new ones!
3. Air-conditioned venue also doubles as a medical museum with the largest collection of picture archives.
4. Two lectures will be given by Dr. Willie T. Ong: (a) Testmanship lecture, and (b)current medical issues and concerns for doctors.
5. Free signed 2005 edition of the Medicine Blue Book.
6. Dinner will be catered. The food is great, I guarantee.

Hi!

This comes a bit late but I just saw that Silliman University in Dumaguete finally opens its medical school this June.

I'm not sure about the requirements but I heard that they're not too stringent yet because they're a newbie, about 70 students have already pre-enrolled.

SU was recently cited by the CHED and PRC as a top 3 performing school in the past 5 years for nursing graduates (so, i hope this also carries over to the medschool, :D ). And based on board exams, I think SU is pretty good in the health science courses too..

Just spoke to one of the doctors slated to teach anatomy to first years students, he said that they might toughen things up for the students because it's their first time. Methinks: toughen things up compared to what?
Well, I don't really know much, but it seems all systems go for SU medschool!

P.S. I've tried to search their website for the medschool but didn't see it. I'll try to research manually (i.e. walking to the building).
Hope this helps anyone.

maia said:
Hi!

This comes a bit late but I just saw that Silliman University in Dumaguete finally opens its medical school this June.

I'm not sure about the requirements but I heard that they're not too stringent yet because they're a newbie, about 70 students have already pre-enrolled.

SU was recently cited by the CHED and PRC as a top 3 performing school in the past 5 years for nursing graduates (so, i hope this also carries over to the medschool, :D ). And based on board exams, I think SU is pretty good in the health science courses too..

Just spoke to one of the doctors slated to teach anatomy to first years students, he said that they might toughen things up for the students because it's their first time. Methinks: toughen things up compared to what?
Well, I don't really know much, but it seems all systems go for SU medschool!

P.S. I've tried to search their website for the medschool but didn't see it. I'll try to research manually (i.e. walking to the building).
Hope this helps anyone.

SILLIMAN University is a Great school. I went there for elementary school. It is definitely great news that Dumaguete will now have a med school!

To the Class of 2009 going to the Phils!
I wish everyone a safe trip to the Phils and best of luck with your medical studies! Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!

marooner said:
...is officially INTEGRATED; a mixture of the best of PBL and the best of traditional...it's quite nice but TOUGH! Lots of case discussions & lectures too...and EXAMS galore!!!