In your decision to pursue medical school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, what was the single most difficult issue you had to deal with in your decision to pursue medical school? (ie: family, finances, etc)

Since I am 26 (and single), my biggest fear is that there is a chance I won't get married until I am in my late 30s. (After residency) It just makes it harder since alot of my friends are getting married right now.

A close second is if I will be able to handle the workload of medical school. But as I work through my post bacc, I wonder if the workload of taking bio I, phy I, and orgo I at the same time even remotely comes close to the workload of a typical semester of med school.

So what other concerns do other post baccs have?

Members don't see this ad.

Bonez,

Don't even worry about getting married so young! After all, the likelihood of getting divorce decreases with age. I plan to start med school when I'm 24 or 25, and I probably won't make any "real money" 'til I am at least 35. Once that happens, then I'll think about marriage. Also, once you're in med school, the institutions will do everything they can to keep you there! So my main concern right now is doing well in the pre-reqs, and getting over 30 on the dreadful MCAT!

bonez318ti : what a coincidence... I was just thinking about what you wrote about. Everytime I think about the amount of work and the sacrifice, my stomach turns into knots. Thank goodness I only think about the difficulties once in awhile. :D

I too worry about getting married and having the time for both family and work.

I have to do bio, chem, another science class, and a non science class in Sept. and I'm getting nervous about it. I worry about staying on top of classes and not burning out. I also worry about the importance and the need to get the A's on the tests. :rolleyes:

But on the other hand, I know if I don't try this I'll regret it forever and going back to the job I have now... horrifying! :wow:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm worried about how well I'll be percieved as answering the question, "why did you not pursue medicine before?"

harrypotter, as for the pre reqs, you really needant worry. Although I am probably working alot harder now that I ever did in my undergrad studies (finance, which comes pretty easy to me), it is really amazing when you look at yourself and your peers (other post baccs) and compare them to the undergrad 'competition'. In my program, there is almost no contest.

In the past 6 months of classes (chem 1 and 2, bio 1, phy 1, orgo 1) I had the chance to met several post baccs, and the level of maturity and dedication is second to none. While most undergrads are out partying and having a good time and typically are happy with B's, most of the post baccs I know spend alot of time studying, but also score the highest grades in the class. So as long as your dedication is there and you study smart your grades will follow.

Febrifuge: so what is your answer to that question?

For me, I studied business in undergrad and worked in management consulting for 3 years before deciding to change to medicine. That decision itself surprised me as I hadn't thought of medicine as a viable career since I was 8 or 9. (It was probably the influence of my dad who has his own business, that I majored in business). I enjoyed the intellectual stimulation of finance, and the fact that it could be fairly lucrative as long as you were 'smarter' than the next guy.. but it was unfulfilling. In business, I saw it ultimately as 'in pursuit of the next scam'. The basic principle of business is to maximize profits, and that usually comes at the expense of other people, or at cost to our environment. Politics also play a pretty prominent role. To succeed in the corporate world, you really need to put these concerns aside and work for your shareholders.

I realized that no matter how many deadlines were set, they will be forever severly optimistic and relatively pointless (in the grand scheme of things). As I thought about things more, I became more and more dissatisfied with my job. Along with that dissatisfaction, went my dedication to 'bust my ass' for my boss and clients.

One day, as I was working on my car, I realized that I like to 'figure out how things work', and liked to work with my hands. I also needed sometihng to 'light a fire under my ass' as I work and focus best under pressure. Having had a recent conversation with my cousin regarding his future plans (he was premed), medicine came to mind. I liked the relatively unstructured work environment, the relatively fast pace of the work, the analysis involved, and ultimately the satisfaction of being able to help someone.

After thinking about it more and more, it slowly seemed like a more real possibility. I volunteered at a local hospital in the ER for 2 months on my spare time and decided to go for it. I registered for summer classes and quit my job when the time came. That was 7 months ago.

Though how I can distill this into a sensible blurb during the interview is still pending.

I wouldn't sweat the "why not medicine earlier in life" question too much. I know I was freaked about it because I made a big shift from working in the legal field and planning on going to law school to science and medicine. Before I interviewed I worried a lot about this, that they would think I was just career hopping from one professional field to the other. And it was obviously all over my resume and application so I could not hide it. But it has not been a problem at any of my interviews so far. They have all been very laid-back and conversational and people seem curious as to why I made the switch, not confrontational. I distilled it all down into a sort of soundbite-type answer but I have never had to use it. Pretty much the story usually comes out over the course of the interview. And I have found it is much easier to talk about what attracted me to medicine, than in dwelling on what I did not like about my former path. I also usually talk about some of the aspects of the other career that are similar to medicine, ie working with people, analyzing information, etc.

Like others on this thread my biggest fear is not finding a potential partner since I am single. I feel like most of the older students I meet at interviews tend to be married/engaged/partnered already. So the pickings may be slim in med school. Hopefully, there will be other ways to meet people.

I have my partner. I am worried about keeping him. Our current lifestyle is ideal but my career is very unsatisfying. I'm afraid that in my efforts to find something fulfilling to do, I will turn the rest of my life upside down and push him away from me. That scares me to death. As does having to try to figure out how we'll plan a family around my studies. I am a little too old to wait until I am completely done.

Part of me is worried that I will change so much during the whole training process, that I will become someone else. Someone I don't know. That sucks, since I finally started feeling comfortable about myself. I say this because my cousin (someone who was similar to me in many ways) has completely changed during his residency. He's a shadow of who he used to be. A sombre zombie. It might just be temporary, but it has scared me regardless. As much as I think I'd love medicine, I don't think it's worth me sacrificing who I am.

Lastly, I am also worried about finances since I make 75% of our income right now. But compared to the things above, this is nothing.

Halcyon440,

I have heard that med school can be relationship makers or breakers. Med school can put such a strain on a relationship that some people just cannot deal with the fact that they are #2 (next to your studying). Then again, I have also heard that once you make it through med school and residency, if your partner is still with you, you can pretty much have no doubt who 'the one' is.

I am not sure what you mean about medicine changing your cousin though. What do you mean he is a sombre zombie? Is he always tired? Is he jaded and cynical?

Definitely jaded and cynical . . .

He talked of things not being at all how he expected. He was very negative and vague when I spoke to him. I wanted details regarding what exactly was so bad but he just kept saying to stay away.

He was someone who was very vibrant and fun to talk to. He seemed like a different person. I got all these gloomy vibes from him.

I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time conveying this. All I know is that one single conversation with him discouraged me so much that it took nearly 2 years for me to reconsider the postbacc thing. I was so afraid I'd be in his shoes. I figured since we were so similar that I'd end up having the same experience as him. There was no way on Earth I wanted to be that miserable! +pity+

Eventually I came to think that it could just be that medicine was not the right career for him. He always seemed more of a business type to me. Sometimes it sounded like he'd gone too far to turn back so he decided to just finish it. Who knows it could just be a temporary thing during residency. I've been trying to contact him recently but he's been MIA. Even if this is only a temporary thing it's still scary that the training got to him so much that it almost wiped out his personality! *shiver*