Postbac decision, what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted771945

Hi all,

I have three options for 2020-2021 postbac, I was wondering what is the best for me.

My goal is an MD or DO program

My stats as of now,
cGPA = 3.46
sGPA = 3.3
MCAT = 512
Weak ECs

My three options:
1. Midwestern MA (1 yr) - interview guaranteed to MWU (?)
2. KCU COB MS (1 yr) - interview guaranteed to KCU (w/>=3.5 GPA in fall)
3. UTD Certificate of Biomedical Sciences (1 yr) - no linkages, no masters courses

Leaning towards option 3 b/c much cheaper and maybe more time to work on ECs

What does SDN say?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
For options 1 and 2, has the school said guaranteed interview or ur assuming?

For option 3, I was considering this too since Im an hour away but keep in mind that you are required to be enrolled at least 12 hours for each of the two semesters. Since it is a "post bacc" and you are not declaring a major, you would not be eligible for financial aid. If you still like UTD and the low cost, apply as a second degree seeking student so you can at least qualify for federal loans, if you have any eligibility left that is. If you haven't racked up 54k I believe, then you are still eligible. You will still have all the same access to those classes as a second degree student. You are still allowed to see advisors for premed matters, and work on your ECs etc. I'd take it a step further and say that while your GPA is "low", doing well at a 4 year in some upper levels will negate the need for an SMP. If your ECs were stronger, you could apply right now honestly if you don't care about MD vs DO