Importance of research for OB programs in East Coast cities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctvlf6

M1
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am a male M1 at a low-tier East Coast MD school and am very interested in OB/GYN. My experience in nursing school on OB/GYN actually made me leave nursing and pursue medical school! I am deciding how to spend my M1 summer and am deciding between 2 funded internships. One is translational research in a neuroscience lab and one is a community outreach program working with inner-city based organizations.

I did not do any research in undergrad so this would be my first research experience. However, I am not particularly interested in neuroscience or the type of research (working with animals) the lab does. I picked this project because it was the only available one that did not require previous experience and because I would get a poster out of it and figured it would be a good way to learn about the research process.

I am much more interested in the community outreach program however and think I would enjoy it a lot more. My concern is that the research opportunity would be a lot better for residency applications. I do not see myself having a research-heavy career at all, however really would like to do residency in a major East Coast city which as I understand tend to be more competitive. I would be fine going to a community program however I do not want to live in a suburban area.

I am wondering if anyone can offer any advice/insight? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Do the community outreach thing. Obgyn programs care much more about advocacy than hard research. In fact think hard and reflect on these 2 choices and incorporate this into your personal systems and how the outreach program is more in alignment with your career choices. If possible try to hook up with some in population science and do an epidemiological study and you may even find a research mentor at this outreach program. Being a guy will also help you match

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all!

I am a male M1 at a low-tier East Coast MD school and am very interested in OB/GYN. My experience in nursing school on OB/GYN actually made me leave nursing and pursue medical school! I am deciding how to spend my M1 summer and am deciding between 2 funded internships. One is translational research in a neuroscience lab and one is a community outreach program working with inner-city based organizations.

I did not do any research in undergrad so this would be my first research experience. However, I am not particularly interested in neuroscience or the type of research (working with animals) the lab does. I picked this project because it was the only available one that did not require previous experience and because I would get a poster out of it and figured it would be a good way to learn about the research process.

I am much more interested in the community outreach program however and think I would enjoy it a lot more. My concern is that the research opportunity would be a lot better for residency applications. I do not see myself having a research-heavy career at all, however really would like to do residency in a major East Coast city which as I understand tend to be more competitive. I would be fine going to a community program however I do not want to live in a suburban area.

I am wondering if anyone can offer any advice/insight? Thanks so much!

Ob gyn programs do not care about research to any meaningful degree.

I interviewed medical students for residency applications during my fellowship at a well known academic program on the west coast. Research would get mentioned but was very low priority.

USMLE scores, 3rd year rotation grades, LOR, where you went to medical school are more meaningful. I am not sure if Step 1 being pass/fail will effect you but Step 2 CK is still going to be a score).

Doing the community outreach is fine and will probably look better than unrelated research.

I was published as a first author on a few papers but it didn't offset my application deficiencies to any meaningful degree (low step 1, repeated second year etc.).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do the community outreach thing. Obgyn programs care much more about advocacy than hard research. In fact think hard and reflect on these 2 choices and incorporate this into your personal systems and how the outreach program is more in alignment with your career choices. If possible try to hook up with some in population science and do an epidemiological study and you may even find a research mentor at this outreach program. Being a guy will also help you match

Thank you so much for the insight! Glad to hear that research isn't a must for matching OB/GYN.

Ob gyn programs do not care about research to any meaningful degree.

I interviewed medical students for residency applications during my fellowship at a well known academic program on the west coast. Research would get mentioned but was very low priority.

USMLE scores, 3rd year rotation grades, LOR, where you went to medical school are more meaningful. I am not sure if Step 1 being pass/fail will effect you but Step 2 CK is still going to be a score).

Doing the community outreach is fine and will probably look better than unrelated research.

I was published as a first author on a few papers but it didn't offset my application deficiencies to any meaningful degree (low step 1, repeated second year etc.).

Luckily it looks like I should be squeaking in to the last group to still get the 3 digit Step 1 score. Seeing as I am at a lower-tier MD program I am definitely relieved I'll at least have the chance to try and differentiate myself from other applicants via my step score.

Thank you for the advice! So far my grades have been above average so hopefully that continues.