Impact of failed OB/GYN shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boltzmann77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading through several related posts I still do not have a good grip on how detrimental this shelf failure would be to my residency application.

I did very well on the clinical portion of the OB/GYN rotation, but obviously did not put enough work into shelf targeted studying. I attribute this to a combination of exhaustion and over confidence in my knowledge base as I was doing well on UWORLD and uWISE questions. I should have put in more work; I accept that. My school will let me retake the shelf and provided I pass this time around I get a "Pass" on my transcript, with mention in my dean's letter that I had to remediate to get the "Pass." I am not sure if there is any sort of indication on the transcript itself that the "Pass" grade was obtained after remediation.

Can residents, attendings, or program directors give me their take on how this will affect my residency application? I understand that I will have to address this in my interviews and my personal statement. However, will programs screen me out because of these issues.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: