Failed Step 2 CS - GS Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surger_bees

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I found out today that I failed step 2 CS. I plan on retaking in early January, but unfortunately won't have results before ROL are due. I looked throughout the forums and I couldn't find any information on the impact that not having CS has on Gen surg matching. Was wondering if anyone could shed some light.

My advisor told me to not release the score obviously and to kind of hope that no one contacts me after interviews to ask where my grade is. About me...I've actually interviewed at some great programs this cycle and really hope that this doesn't affect me too much. Stats: AMG at top 50 med school, 240+ step 1/ step 2 CK, pubs, strong LORs, and have (at least from my perspective) been interviewing well.

Today was definitely a bummer of a day, but I'm gonna work on things and hopefully get that pass on this exam in January. Thanks again for any input you all have.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
bump...

I'm in almost the same exact boat as you OP, so you're not alone. Found out I failed while I was at an interview for GS last week and have been going through the Kubler-Ross model since. AMG, top 50 med school, competitive step scores, and I've been told by interviewers that I'm a strong applicant. Failed the CIS section (and honestly have no clue why). Will be retaking the exam early-mid January and scores won't be out until March, which is after ROL submission. Step 1 and 2 CK have already been submitted. I've gotten the same advice from my dean.

Would definitely love to hear some input as well.