IMG having gap between study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctortobe1999

Reaction score
I'm an international medical student. During quarantine due to the low quality of education, I failed a comprehensive basic sciences exam between my basic sciences and preclinical year with only 3 points. I retook the exam and passed with a good score. However, this semester the school became strict and didn't let me take the remaining courses and I will have a gap in my studies.
I wanted to know what are my chances of getting into a residency program in the U.S. Will this also affect my chances of getting a research position even if I have publication and an international medal in basic sciences?

Members don't see this ad.

There might be some outcomes data for IMGs with gaps in medical education. I know there is data for IMGs (US IMG and non-US IMG) with multiple attempts at Step 1 that shows their overall percentage chance of matching.

It might not be "fatal" for your medical career. But with any red flags, you have to put in a lot of extra effort to secure any residency in the US. An IMG friend of mine had a low USMLE score (but not one that would have prevented them matching into a less competitive residency if they were a US grad) and failed to match this past cycle. It is brutal, and you start out with a roughly 50% chance of matching from the get-go, and that is the best situation (no red flags).

I would estimate anywhere from 10-50% chance of matching, if you were looking for an estimation. Definitely not 0%.