NonUS IMG with a failed semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Capixaba

Reaction score
Hello, i'm a medical student in Brazil now going to my final year. I've decided to study for the USMLE, but what is holding me back is that i failed a preclinical course and had to retake it for a semester. My first half of medical school was particularly tough for me, because i had to spend 3 hours a day in a bus to get to the University and go back home.

After that failure, i managed to move to a place nearby, changed my way to study and i'm having a good performance since then. Will that totally ruin my chances of matching a residency program in the US? I want IM or Psych.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good on you for identifying the issue and fixing it. Definitely mention that in your personal statement, because the course failure is going to jump out right away to program directors. Psych is probably off the table. It's become increasingly more competitive over the last decade, even for US students. IM might be within reach, though with a course failure and non-US IMG status, you'll need to apply to every lower-tier program in the country to maximize your odds. You'll need to pass all USMLE steps on your first try, and ideally do well. You'll also need good clinical grades and strong letters from clinical faculty, ideally IM faculty. You should also strongly consider dual-applying IM and FM.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with above. If you can check all the other boxes (passing USMLE, getting US-based clinical experience) then I don't think this will necessarily hold you back. IM (and FM) are more likely than psych.

Where you could potentially run into an issue is when you try to apply for the US clinical experience. Schools get tons of applications for these observerships so if they ask for your transcript in the application process this could make you stand out in a bad way. But hard to know until you get to that point

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good on you for identifying the issue and fixing it. Definitely mention that in your personal statement, because the course failure is going to jump out right away to program directors. Psych is probably off the table. It's become increasingly more competitive over the last decade, even for US students. IM might be within reach, though with a course failure and non-US IMG status, you'll need to apply to every lower-tier program in the country to maximize your odds. You'll need to pass all USMLE steps on your first try, and ideally do well. You'll also need good clinical grades and strong letters from clinical faculty, ideally IM faculty. You should also strongly consider dual-applying IM and FM.
Thank you. That's what i thought, Psych is probably off the table really. I'll consider dual applying for FM.

Thank you. That's what i tought, Psych is probably off the table really. I'll consider dual applying for FM.
If you wind up doing primary care (commonly done through both IM and FM), you can do some basic psych management. PCPs are definitely capable of taking care of depression, anxiety, certain addiction issues, etc. So you can still scratch that itch a little.

Psych is getting more competitive but it's not derm. Look at the numbers. That said being an IMG with a red flag I think having a backup plan would be smart.

Might also consider an anonymous forum nick.

• Love