IM interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just found Hopkins and UPenn in the inbox.

Members don't see this ad.

i guess i should just relax as previously stated by someone else. Just got UPenn and Hopkins invite via email

Interviews thus far
NYU
UPenn
Hopkins
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
U of Maryland
Georgetown
GWU
a few other that i probably won't go on.

The question is.....at places like Penn and Hopkins....how selective do you think they are in who they interview. i'm sure they are more selective than most places. how many people do you think they interview for the 30 to 40 spots they actually have. Also, anybody know any insider info about Penn or Hopkins programs?

just curious

good luck to everyone....see you on the interview circuit

Members don't see this ad :)
nyresident said:
I'll trade you my baystate for st. vincent's--baystate actually sent me a snail mail, personal letter referring to some things in my personal statement. i'm probably not as competitive as you are considering med. school status, barely passing board scores, so i don't really understand the invitation. i've been waiting for st. vincent's, lenox hill, st. luke's, lij, north shore, stony brook, winthrop; but still no word after dean's letter.

hmm.. this may sound crazy to some, but sounds like a good deal to me in some ways. love the idea of living in NYC and the whole subsidized housing bit at St. Vincent's, but Baystate is reported to be a nice program with lots of warm-hearted people and great facilities. Plus, I like the idea of being 90 minutes away from my family as opposed to 3.5 hours. We will see. I'm not surprised that Baystate sent you a nice personalized letter; I don't go out there until January, but have heard good things from many people in my class who spent their third year out there. best of luck..

Oh yeah, got an interview from Jefferson in my inbox while I was out at a friend's house. They sent it at 5:09 PM on a Friday, weird but cool. Going to try and schedule this one around the same time as Maryland since I am going down to Philly for Step 2 CS on Dec. 12.

Recap (this time by state):
GWU-DC
Boston University Medical Center-MA
Lahey Clinic Medical Center-MA
University of Maryland Medical Center-MD
Dartmouth-Hitchcock-NH
UMDNJ-RWJ-NJ
Albany Med. Center-NY
NYMC-St. Vincents-NY
NYMC-Westchester-NY
University of Rochester-Strong Memorial-NY
Thomas Jefferson University Program-PA
Brown University-Rhode Island Hospital-RI
University of Vermont-VT

No word:
UConn-CT
Yale-New Haven (primary care)-CT (expect rejection)
Georgetown University-DC
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center-MA
Tufts-NEMC-MA
UMass-MA
Baystate Medical Center (Tufts)-MA
Maine Medical Center-ME
JHU-Bayview-MD
Mt. Sinai-NY (not likely)
U Pittsburgh-PA

18 thus far out of 31:

OHSU
UPenn
Emory
VCU
Duke
UNC
Wake Forest
Wash U
UT Southwestern
UVA
Cornell
Dartmouth
Brown
UAB
Mayo-Rochester
UChicago
UPMC
Case Western

Waiting on:
Hopkins
Vandy
UWash
UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
Cedars-Sinai
Stanford
BWH
MGH
BIDMC
Yale
Columbia

April04 said:
The question is.....at places like Penn and Hopkins....how selective do you think they are in who they interview. i'm sure they are more selective than most places. how many people do you think they interview for the 30 to 40 spots they actually have. Also, anybody know any insider info about Penn or Hopkins programs?

The Hopkins email did mention something like "this email is going out to large number of applicants." Certainly they're selective, but I'd imagine that the pool of people they'll interview will also strongly consider many of the other top tier programs (BWH, MGH, etc.). Since there is some overlap among these top places, I'd imagine they interview quite a few.

Since you are interested in Maine Med Ctr., I got my interview offer approx. 3-4 weeks after I received the brochure in the mail. Heading up to Portland on Nov. 19th for interview. Expect to hear from them in a few weeks.

Buz

buz said:
Since you are interested in Maine Med Ctr., I got my interview offer approx. 3-4 weeks after I received the brochure in the mail. Heading up to Portland on Nov. 19th for interview. Expect to hear from them in a few weeks.

Buz

excellent news, thank you for the info! I think MMC may end up being my 2nd January interview, but that's all right. good luck at your interview!

Can anyone with interviews from any of the following places cut&paste the list of interview dates each has. Thanks

Yale
BWH
Hopkins
UCSF
UCSD
Stanford
Vandy

UMass at 7:59 PM tonight via e-mail. what an odd time to send an interview invitation.

Interviews I will definitely go to (the location factor is big, but all are good programs):
Boston U
Brown
Dartmouth
Lahey Clinic
UMass
UVM
St. Vincent's Manhattan

Will likely attend:
Jefferson
Maryland
Rochester

I will probably be cancelling/not scheduling the other interviews I have so far, so I hope some interview spots open up at those places for others. So unless I've read incorrectly, no one has heard from BIDMC yet? I'm still hoping I might get an interview; I know it's competitive, but about 4-5 people from my school match there every year, and one of my letters is from an ID attending there.. keeping my fingers crossed.

they just started reviewing (completed) applications this week. interview offers and rejections will be sent via email. i would expect that you'll hear from them within the coming weeks (provided that your application is complete).

ps-i noticed that you are not interviewing at your home institution. why is that?
irlandesa said:
So unless I've read incorrectly, no one has heard from BIDMC yet? I'm still hoping I might get an interview; I know it's competitive, but about 4-5 people from my school match there every year, and one of my letters is from an ID attending there.. keeping my fingers crossed.

Just got interview from BID today, after yesterday getting an e-mail saying that they were just starting to review applications.

bof said:
they just started reviewing (completed) applications this week. interview offers and rejections will be sent via email. i would expect that you'll hear from them within the coming weeks (provided that your application is complete).

ps-i noticed that you are not interviewing at your home institution. why is that?

I will be interviewing at my home institution if they invite me; just have to have one more thing placed in my file (there was a misunderstanding with the Registrar's Office about what the writers needed to finish the letter so they got a bit behind). I am going to call about that tommorow b/c my first interview is on the 15th. To tell the truth, I am not that crazy about Tufts-NEMC; I had horrible experiences there in Peds and Ob/Gyn, and have heard from a friend who did his Sub-I there that the IM residents didn't seem that happy. Plus, there is one intern there who graduated from my school who is quite snooty and arrogant (and believe me, it's not justified in her case). But we will see what I think if they interview me, and I do like that it's in Boston.

Oh yeah, I got the BIDMC e-mail today saying that all completed apps would be reviewed starting today. Hopefully I'll be complete soon and can get a decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Irlandesa, I'll be applying to peds and realistically Tufts is probably my only Boston hope (worse than IM, at least I would have had BU plus BID too as a reach). :( Can you tell me more about your experience? PM me if you like.

Sorry for sidetracking - I still check this board out of habit LOL.

you're not saying peds is more competitive than IM are you????!!

Not in general, but there are less peds programs in Boston (Children's, MGH and Tufts) so in that sense it's more competitive. I don't believe the nearby Lahey Clinic has peds either. :( There are actually only 11 programs total in New England - I haven't run the Frieda search for IM but I'm sure there are much more!

Hi Lara,

I PM'ed you about Peds so I wouldn't end up rambling on here lol.. Anyway, although I had some pretty sub-par residents in Peds @ NEMC, I wouldn't discourage anyone from applying to their Peds or IM tracks based on that. Everyone basically has different preferences and connects best with different types of people. If you like the idea of wards divided by subspecialty (though this does include a Gen Med ward), and a medium sized program, Tufts-NEMC is a very good choice. If you prefer more of a General Medicine focus, and/or a larger program like me; BU is probably the better choice for IM. I have met a few IM residents from BIDMC and BU, and they seem to be really bright, sociable, well-adjusted people. Well, I'm rambling; let's hope we all hear from BIDMC soon (fingers crossed).

SUNY-Buffalo main center today (11/08/04) via e-mail.

Tufts-NEMC today; apparently all Tufts students who apply to NEMC are invited to dinner with the program director and with residents, and then we schedule interviews on our own with selection committee members. So looks like my interview was by default, but an interview nonetheless.

updated list:
JHU
UCSF
Yale
U Colorado
NYU
BU
Brown
Tufts

Hopkins today. The website says that all applicants will be informed this week

UCSD - today
Harbor UCLA
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Scripps La Jolla (cancelled)
UCSF/Fresno (cancelled)
UAB (didn't schedule)
Wash U
UNC
University of Michigan
Northwestern
UT Southwestern
University of Chicago
Mayo-Rochester
U. of Wisconsin
Emory

Got Wash U by email today.

To recap:

Colorado
Hopkins
Michigan
Northwestern
Rush
Tulane
UAB
UCSD
UCSF
U MD
Utah
Vanderbilt
Wash U

Still waiting:

BWH
MGH
OHSU
Stanford
U of Chicago
UW

Wow...I just got an email from Colorado with a list of residents who have volunteered to house students coming up to interview. What a great service! Finally, someone realizes how poor this whole process can make us!

Invites:

Cornell
Penn
Hopkins
UCSF
Stanford
Sinai

Still Waiting:
MGH
BWH
BID
Columbia

Invites:

BWH
BID
UChicago
Northwestern
Yale
BU
Mt. Sinai

Still waiting:

MGH
Hopkins
UPenn
Michigan
Cornell
Columbia
NYU

Seems like no one has heard yet from MGH. I have a friend in their residency program (I know, second-hand) who says they send out interviews a little later than others, so we might expect at least one of us to get something in the next few weeks (I would assume before Thanksgiving!). Good luck to all!

Brigham today! This is the one I have been waiting for!

Does anyone know much about the Lenox Hill program? Heard from them today.

anyone hear from columbia?
-thanks

boolaboo,

i'll trade you my hopkins and penn for your bwh.

(same goes for you, art vandelay...ps, if your are not interested, i am sure my associates varnsen and pennypacker would be more than happy to to make the deal).

just heard from columbia today. i'm sure you'll get your invite soon. so far:

interviews

columbia
cornell
nyu
sinai
yale

waiting

brigham
mgh
bid
penn
ucsf
ucla
stanford

yes, i'm very excited about bwh. but if you've gotten hopkins, i'm sure you'll get it, no problem! :) i'm just anxious about mgh, which it seems no one has heard from yet.

No deal Burt! But I do appreciate the reference to Varnsen and Pennypacker. I would however trade all of my interviews for a shot to train at the Julliard! I've heard they only have derm there?

Art, Burt, and boolaboo,

Since you are discussing trading Brighams and Hopkins and MGH, I wanted to ask a question: which would you rank higher, MGH or BWH or Hopkins and why?

allo,

i think that's a really good question, but one that I don't think can be answered. It's a really subjective decision. I mean, do you really think that the quality of training at MGH, BWH, and Hopkins are really any different? Or different than the next 10 or so programs? My guess is there's not much difference, certainly between those three, and also between them and the next group (I would consider that group to include Penn, Yale, Michigan, UCSF, UChicago, UW, maybe Columbia, Cornell, and BID -- can't wait to hear the arguments on this list!). It's splitting hairs from a quality perspective.

So the important thing is to consider other factors: location, happiness of residents, malignancy, and what I think is of ultimate importance, the general feeling you get when you visit.

So, after that ramble of mine, I won't make any decisions on MGH vs. BWH vs. Hopkins until I visit. Well, haven't gotten MGH or Hopkins invites yet, so maybe the decision has already been made for me! :)

boolaboo,

great reply. I can't pretent to know much about IM programs since I am not applying in this field. I guess most would place MGH and Brigham above Hopkins for location. I not sure what differences exist between Brigham and MGH since both are Harvard programs and I am assuming have similar structures. I always heard (US News, etc) that MGH is a more prestigious place than BWH. I am wondering if others can expound more on this?

So far,

BID
Brigham
Brown
BU
Emory
Hopkins
UPenn
UVA
Yale

Still waiting for MGH. I think I read somewhere that they send out invitations in late November.

yes both are affilated with harvard. two completely different hospitals with different styles. mgh is not necessarily any more prestigous, don't always believe what you hear.
allopathic said:
boolaboo,

great reply. I can't pretent to know much about IM programs since I am not applying in this field. I guess most would place MGH and Brigham above Hopkins for location. I not sure what differences exist between Brigham and MGH since both are Harvard programs and I am assuming have similar structures. I always heard (US News, etc) that MGH is a more prestigious place than BWH. I am wondering if others can expound more on this?

I know that MGH has the more malignant reputation when compared to BWH. If I were a high-caliber student like some of y'all, I would definitely choose BWH over any of the others. As I've mentioned on other threads, I've had the opportunity to work with the Brigham residents before, and they are not only wicked smart and dedicated, but genuinely love to teach and care about their students' training. And they all seem to be VERY happy in the program. I'd go so far as to say that my residents at Faulkner are the main reason that I didn't go insane and walk out the door of medical school, b/c I got very fed up with the education I received at T-NEMC at times. Go BWH!

Anyway, having problems scheduling Jeff and Maryland and feeling depressed b/c I would really like to find out more about those programs. Plus travelling from Boston to Rochester is going to be painful and expensive. And the fact that I am going to interview for form's sake at an institution that I'm sure won't rank me is bugging me. I just wish I had done better so that I could have interviewed at BWH and BIDMC.

Can anyone comment on what it's like to live in Boston? I would love to match at BW, but I'm a little worried about living there. I have a family which may make things more complicated. Is it reasonable to live in the burbs and commute?
Thanks!

Posting for the first time on this thread.

has anyone heard from MGH or U of Chicago?

So far I got,

U of Michigan
Northwestern
CWRU
CCF
Mayo

Thanks

Art Vandelay said:
Can anyone comment on what it's like to live in Boston? I would love to match at BW, but I'm a little worried about living there. I have a family which may make things more complicated. Is it reasonable to live in the burbs and commute?
Thanks!

yes, it is very reasonable, Brookline is probably the best suburb to live in (most of the BWH residents I know live there), as it is very T-accessible, and Boston has an excellent subway and commuter rail system that goes out to the suburbs. Quite a few of the residents in the program are married w/kids, so you wouldn't be unique in that respect.

Got Georgetown and Pitt today; might go, might not, depends on what is available.

April04 said:
i guess i should just relax as previously stated by someone else. Just got UPenn and Hopkins invite via email

Interviews thus far
NYU
UPenn
Hopkins
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
U of Maryland
Georgetown
GWU
a few other that i probably won't go on.

just curious

good luck to everyone....see you on the interview circuit

So I am a current fourth year at Hopkins going into Medicine, and thought maybe it was worth saying a few things about the Hopkins program. . .
First of all, about # of ppl they interview - I was on the wards last year when this year's interns were interviewing, and I believe that they interviewed in bunches of about 30-35 per day I think. So, with 14 interview dates. . . that makes about 400 some odd ppl total. Like someone else said - by the time you get an invite to interview at Hopkins - you're likely looking at other good programs too (as are everyone else), so it's basically the applicant who will likely get to choose which program that they really want to go to. . .

Some interview tips from Dr. Wiener, the housestaff program director, who also counsels outgoing 4th year Medicine applicants from Hopkins:
1. Once you get an interview, relax - usually, the program is going to be trying to sell itself to you, not the other way around. They just want to make sure that you're a normal person, who they will be able to work with.
2. Don't lie - it's unbecoming.
3. Go to the dinner the night before - it's the best way to get honest answers from the housestaff about the program. And obviously, be nice. If you're rude or horrible at dinner - it does get back to them, and they will take notice.
4. When you go on rounds, be interested.

Finally, about the program itself. On my past few rotations I've been polling the interns about programs, why they chose Hopkins, and what to look for. Basically, I've heard that as far as programs go, aside from location, it's often patient mix and degree of independence/vs team care that differ between programs. For instance, Penn's program, according to a Penn Med student now a resident here at Hopkins has a very team-oriented approach to care, and you take call with your team. In contrast, Hopkins lets its housestaff be very independent, with interns taking call without an in-house senior resident by Jan/Feb of their intern year. I've heard that MGH and Hopkins are similar in that respect, while BWH is a very "friendly, team-oriented" place. Basically you've got to think about what style is best for yourself and your own learning.

A few reasons why this year's interns chose to come to Hopkins - based on an informal poll. . .
1. Lots of independence in patient care
2. Amazing patient mix - with lots of HIV and inner city populations and community care mixed with international/nationwide referrals.
3. Baltimore, despite its reputation, is a nice place to live -- very affordable (many residents buy homes and end up making a nice little real estate profit by the time they leave)

Anyway. For me, interviews thus far:
U Chicago
Duke
Hopkins
U penn
UCSF
BWH
Beth Israel
Yale

Awaiting. . .
Columbia
NYU
MGH
UW

according to freida:

39 PGY1 positions
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Interviews conducted last year for first year positions 350

Hey sj363,
thank you for that helpful info on JHU! Now I'll be less uptight when I interview there! I was wondering, can you tell me your impressions of JH-Bayiew? I got an interview there today and was wondering about their program

Cornell
Montefiore
Jacobi
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Winthrop
Lenox Hill
Stony Brook
North Shore
LIJ
Yale
Penn
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins Bayview
Barnes-Jewish
Mayo
Brown

Just got x'ed by JHU and posting my final list. Best of luck to all on the interview trail. Signing off for now, loved reading ya'lls posts.
Cheers.

Updated list:
Brown (scheduled)
University of Vermont (scheduled)
Dartmouth (scheduled)
Yale (scheduled)
U of Maryland (scheduled)
VCU/MCV (interviewed)
Duke (scheduled)
UNC(scheduled)
UVa (scheduled)
Wake Forest (will most likely cancel)
MUSC (scheduled)
Colorado (scheduled)

Best of Luck to All!!!

I'm also interested in JHU Bayview, so if anyone can shed some light, it would be great...