IM interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my friend got Beth Israel, NY and
Albert Einstein, Philadelphia today.

Members don't see this ad.

peptidoglycan said:
Got UCSF today!
It was weird -- it showed up in myERAS hours before I got it in my email.

Anyway, time to celebrate!

Congrats on your UCSF interview, Peptido!

ack! The New Orleans crowd is hoggin all the UCSF interviews!!! :( :mad:

*jealous*

Members don't see this ad :)
Got USC yesterday and Montefiore/Albert Einstein today. Everything in except for transcript.

Peter

Interviews offers so far...

CA-University of California at Irvine
CA-University of Southern California
DC-Georgetown University
MD-University of Maryland
NY-Montefiore/Albert Einstein College of Medicine
PA-Temple University
PA-Drexel University
PA-Thomas Jefferson University

Got UA-B today....everything in except for the Dean's Letter...still waiting on UNC and UVa...

Invites so far:
Duke
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
MUSC
Carolinas Medical Center
Emory (haven't scheduled)
VCU/MCV (haven't scheduled)

Got UAB today too.

List so far:

UAB
UCSF
Colorado
Michigan
Vandy
Tulane
Rush
Northwestern
UMD
Utah

Hi DAC and Filter:

I'm also from NY, did you send out your transcripts and LORS? I got Montefiore without transcript but havent heard from St. Luke, LIJ and St. Vincent.

Thanks and Best of luck!!

Amimigut

amimigut said:
Hi DAC and Filter:

I'm also from NY, did you send out your transcripts and LORS? I got Montefiore without transcript but havent heard from St. Luke, LIJ and St. Vincent.

Amimigut

Hey ammigut,

Yes, I did send out my transcript on Oct. 1st. So they are probably just waiting for yours....send it out soon and youll probably get an interview ;)

As for my list...so far it is:
Dartmouth, Cleveland Clinic (main one and florida), Mayo - Scottsdale and Jacksonville, Tufts - NEMC, Beth Isreal (NYC), St. Lukes (NYC), Montefiore, LIJ, North Shore, Winthrop, Albert Einstein - Philly, Lahey Clinic, Cambridge, Temple.

I havent even scheduled some of them....its getting a little overwhelming budgeting the time.

Best of luck to all, hope to see you on the interview trail.

amimigut said:
Hi DAC and Filter:

Amimigut

My LORs and transcript have all been in since 9/20. I'm sure they're just waiting on your supporting documents.

Good luck!!

U of Chicago today.

Miami Jacksonville today, by letter

I got Mayo Clinic Jacksonville today. Does anyone know anything about their reputation as compared with Mayo in Minnesota?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got UAB and UT Houston..

Submitted 2 wks ago, have received interviews from:

St. Luke's/Roosevelt NY
Dartmouth
UConn
St. Vincent's Manhattan
Univ Kansas
Beth Israel/Albert Einstein
Motefiore/Albert Einstein
North Shore NY
Univ Hawaii
Mayo Jacksonville
Lahey Clinic

For those of you with Chicago or Cali interviews, how long did you wait after submitting before receiving an interview?
thx

westchester medical center, new york today (10/21)

he's still waiting for north shore, and LIJ which he's more interested in.

Just Got - Mount Sinai (NYC), New York Med, AE jacobi (yesterday)

Also, the last 2 invites (NY MEd, and Mt. Sinai) both gave me preselected dates..no choices.....I already have interviews scheduled.....annoying.

Good Luck!

Hi everyone! Here's my interview list right now (I'm new here):

Albert Einstein-Montefiore
Thomas Jefferson
Case Western-University Hospitals
Dartmouth
Albany
Lahey Clinic
Lenox Hill
Long Island Jewish
Drexel
Temple (Dates)
North Shore
SUNY Downstate-Brooklyn
Winthrop

Good luck everyone!!

Ignoring my lurking tendencies, here's my list so far:

Saint Louis University
UMKC
UM-Colombia
Medical College of Wisconsin
Beaumont (Royal Oak, MI)
Maine Medical Center
WVU - Morgantown
University of Tennessee - Chattanooga

My app was completed on 9/24. Still holding my breath about two other places :scared:

Just got Brown via email.

another brown here :love: one of my top choices so far!

me too Brown... Rhode island? I guess I will have to see for myself

New as of today:
Brown

Already Posted:
Dartmouth
Yale-Bridgeport
U of Maryland
VCU/MCV
Duke
UVa
Wake Forest
MUSC
Colorado

Awaiting: JHU, UNC

Best of Luck to All!!!

#4-NYMC Westchester Medical Center

good day today; adding NYMC-St. Vincent's Manhattan, UMDNJ-RWJ.

Got Brown, Mayo today.

So far:

Mt. Sinai
Montefiore
Jacobi
LIJ
Northshore
Winthrop

Cleveland clinic florida sent me the rudest rejection message.....

there was no hint of an appreciation for my good qualifications.

i'm glad i wasnt offered an interview at such a place.

I got Brown today too...everything except 1 letter is in now

PeterY said:
Interviews offers so far...

CA-University of California at Irvine
CA-University of Southern California
DC-Georgetown University
MD-University of Maryland
NY-Montefiore/Albert Einstein College of Medicine
PA-Temple University
PA-Drexel University
PA-Thomas Jefferson University

wow clay, what kind of scores are required to get interviews at all the top programs.

Just got SUNY Stony Brook, people work so hard on a Sunday afternoon :laugh: :smuggrin:

Just Got -

Brown
Stony Brook
Mayo - Main campus

Good Luck

utlonghorn50 said:
wow clay, what kind of scores are required to get interviews at all the top programs.

For most competitve programs, my PD indicates strong candidates have 230's, top 1/3 of your class, and good LORs. But remember, many schools shotgun many interviews to many applicants. So interviews received may not reflect one's candidacy (e.g. sounds like many of us are getting Brown and Dartmouth -- check lasts years thread as well).

However, for the top five IM programs (JHU, B&W, MGH, Wash [Seattle], and UCSF -- my own biased list), I think to be a competitive candidate that one should apply with >240, AOA competitive--if from lesser known med school or competent at a more respected med school, and good LORs.

For me, good scores and a several of first author pub med searches have not hurt. Also, I think that coming from a lesser known med school has actually been to my benefit -- from personal emails and phone calls when scheduling interviews, etc.

As a disclaimer, IM is a buyer's market compared to other fields, and the punch will be in the overall package of the candidate at any school. My money for the schools to sell themselves as well as for my ability to sell myself appropriately will be in the interview.

So does this "shotgun" approach schools take mean that I should not bother to attend some of my interviews since I'm not a particularly competitive candidate? Are Brown and Dartmouth simply wasting my time?:(

irlandesa said:
So does this "shotgun" approach schools take mean that I should not bother to attend some of my interviews since I'm not a particularly competitive candidate? Are Brown and Dartmouth simply wasting my time?:(

Of course not! You should definitely go for it. If you do really well on your interview, you will look way more competitive than those who look better on the paper. If you try, there will be no regret. :idea:

Best of luck :)

Here's my updated list

Caritas St. Elizabeth
UMDNJ - NJMS
U Conn
Drexel U
Albert Einstein (Phillly)
U Arizona
Mayo (Scottsdale)
St. Louis U
Wright State U
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Ochsner Clinic
Newark Beth Israel
JHU - Sinai
Washington Hospital/Georgetown
EVMS
Maricopa Medical Ctr
Virginia Mason
Case Western (Metro)
Memorial Health/Mercer (Savannah)
Palmetto/U S Carolina

and yes I'm going to all of them except maybe Virginia Mason (can't justify a flight to Seattle w/only 1 interview considering how much in the hole I'm in already) so come February I'll probably need to be hospitalized. Not looking forward to Dec-Jan but as an IMG I can't exactly afford to sniff my nose at any programs but I'm pretty pleased with the invites so far. Any opinions about some of these programs? Feel free to PM me

Clay said:
For most competitve programs, my PD indicates strong candidates have 230's, top 1/3 of your class, and good LORs. But remember, many schools shotgun many interviews to many applicants. So interviews received may not reflect one's candidacy (e.g. sounds like many of us are getting Brown and Dartmouth -- check lasts years thread as well).

However, for the top five IM programs (JHU, B&W, MGH, Wash [Seattle], and UCSF -- my own biased list), I think to be a competitive candidate that one should apply with >240, AOA competitive--if from lesser known med school or competent at a more respected med school, and good LORs.

For me, good scores and a several of first author pub med searches have not hurt. Also, I think that coming from a lesser known med school has actually been to my benefit -- from personal emails and phone calls when scheduling interviews, etc.

As a disclaimer, IM is a buyer's market compared to other fields, and the punch will be in the overall package of the candidate at any school. My money for the schools to sell themselves as well as for my ability to sell myself appropriately will be in the interview.

What about slightly less than 230 step 1 but above 240 step 2? Does that ruin one's chances?

Clay said:
from personal emails and phone calls when scheduling interviews, etc.

Are you referring to the personal emails and calls that you received, inviting you to the interview?

I am asking this because, the PD at the medical school where I am working now has volunteered to call the PD of the program(s) that I am interested in. But, I wasn't sure, when I should have the PD (the one that I know) call and put in the good words. Is it better to do before my interview or after? Can Clay or anyone offer your thoughts, please?

Got Tufts/NEMC today. I also got dates from UCLA-Oliveview. Things should be more interesting once Dean's Letters go out next week.

Interviews so far...

University of California at Irvine
University of Southern California
Georgetown University
University of Maryland
Montefiore/Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Temple University
Drexel University
Thomas Jefferson University
Brown University

Still waiting on everywhere else.

Peter

Got a couple more recently. My new list:

UT-Southwestern
Vanderbilt
Tulane
Maryland
Albert Einstein - Montefiore
Albert Einstein - Beth Israel NY
Thomas Jefferson
USC

Still waiting on a bunch of others

Adding to my list...

Received SUNY Stony Brook on Sunday as well :)

Albert Einstein-Montefiore
Thomas Jefferson
Case Western-University Hospitals
Dartmouth
Albany
Lahey Clinic
Lenox Hill
Long Island Jewish
Drexel
Temple
North Shore
SUNY Downstate-Brooklyn
Winthrop

I'll update:

Adding:
Duke
UVA
Vandy

Priors:
Dartmouth
Michigan
UTSW
Emery
Ohio State
Case
CCF
Mayo-main
Wash U

rec. #7 George Washington University Hospital today. I need the rest of my file to be complete so some more of the New England programs can contact me, why does this have to be such a pain? Has anyone heard from Boston U. yet, they are way up there on my list as well. I know BIDMC doesn't start inviting until after the Dean's Letter (though I know I have about as good a chance of interviewing there as of winning the Nobel Prize..)

futurecardsman said:
Six so far

University of Michigan
Northwestern
UT Southwestern
UCSF/Fresno
UC Irvine
Scripps La Jolla

Updates to my list

University of Chicago
U. of Alabama
Mayo-Rochester
U. of Wisconsin
Emory

Hi!

Congratulations on all your wonderful interview offers. I am still waiting to hear from University of Chicago and I am wondering when you got your offer from them. Have you heard of many other people with an interview offer from U of Chicago? I was thinking I might have to wait until after Nov 1, but I guess they are giving a few out before.

Thanks for your help,

Pepti

peptidoglycan said:
Hi!

Congratulations on all your wonderful interview offers. I am still waiting to hear from University of Chicago and I am wondering when you got your offer from them. Have you heard of many other people with an interview offer from U of Chicago? I was thinking I might have to wait until after Nov 1, but I guess they are giving a few out before.

Thanks for your help,

Pepti

Pepti,

I just got the interview via email today. I'm sure your invitation will arrive shortly. Good luck.

got George Washington today.

Anyone else feel like they applied to too many programs. I am seriously considering skipping one of my east coast cities to keep things reasonable.

Peter

hey guys, i'm new here, but thought I'd post as well. My list is pretty much the same as most others. Anyway, good luck to everyone!

Emory
CWRU
Michigan
Duke
Northwestern
University of Chicago (today)