I'm basically afraid for my ecs. Help.

bluewind751

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats and ecs:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=647017

I've always wanted to get into BS/MD programs. I've heard of people who had research, shadowing, and volunteering experience in their belts, but I can't seem to get any medical experience in because of summer running practice. (So all I can do is volunteer. :() Do you really need to put research or shadowing doctors in your application to stand out for BS/MD programs?

Members don't see this ad.

arent you going into your junior year?? RELAX! lol. You are fine, you show dediation to track based on your EC's...try to get some other stuff done only if it interests you. Maybe join some clubs or a student government...fund raising or anything that might do work around the community would be good. Relax you have plenty of time if you are going into your junior year and if not then even if its your senior year...you have until about december to make things count. Get working, stay focused and keep doing your best at what you do!

If you need advice later about where to apply to college, we (the experienced on hSdn) would be happy to help even if you have no idea where to apply. Also make sure you apply for scholarships and stuff.

(just got through the undergrad admissions process recently, myself)

What about taking an EMT or CNA class? If you're interested in getting some clinical experience, then with an EMT or CNA cert, you can work in an EMS agency or hospital. Some states don't license EMTs under 18, though, but you can still do EMS work if you get the first responder cert in that state.

Quick question: Why are you going to do Calc AB then Calc BC? As far as I know with my lowly Calc AB background, you learn the AB material in BC –*BC just has more advanced material beyond the AB.

My advice: do everything you feel comfortable doing, do the best you can at it, and leave it at that. As far as research goes, serious research would probably be beneficial. The problem is, of course, finding programs that give you this experience. Do some searching and look for summer programs - you'll probably find some. Shadowing can be helpful, but most people seem to think it's not necessary. Personally I think it's a very beneficial with respect to giving you insight into what a medical career is like, at least in the office. I'd do it for that reason alone.

Again, don't be too stressed about this. BS/MD programs are great to get into, but not getting into one will not be the death of you. It just means you'll have to apply like 99% of med students have to. Relax.