Recommended ECs and number of hours

D

deleted927028

SDN, I am not sure if a parent can post here. If not, please forgive me and delete the post.

Dear @Faha , @Goro , @LizzyM and others, my daughter is an aspiring pediatrician . She is planning to pursue premed with Biology as the major starting next year at a public university. She is a sincere student who had a 4.7 wGPA and 1540 SAT but could not break into any top ranked institutions other than University of Michigan. We feel that it is because of lack of awards and impressive ECs,

She wants to avoid this mistake while applying to medical schools. So I have this quick question. Other than trying her best to secure a great GPA and MCAT score, what else she should be focusing on. What kind of ECs she should pursue and how many hours she has to invest in each of those? Will EMT certification help her in any way? We will be grateful if you could respond. If there is an existing thread already please point me there.

Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

SDN, I am not sure if a parent can post here. If not, please forgive me and delete the post.

Dear @Faha , @Goro , @LizzyM and others, my daughter is an aspiring pediatrician . She is planning to pursue premed with Biology as the major starting next year at a public university. She is a sincere student who had a 4.7 wGPA and 1540 SAT but could not break into any top ranked institutions other than University of Michigan. We feel that it is because of lack of awards and impressive ECs,

She wants to avoid this mistake while applying to medical schools. So I have this quick question. Other than trying her best to secure a great GPA and MCAT score, what else she should be focusing on. What kind of ECs she should pursue and how many hours she has to invest in each of those? Will EMT certification help her in any way? We will be grateful if you could respond. If there is an existing thread already please point me there.

Thank you so much

Basically, this is what the entire site is about. There is not one answer - your daughter should do what she's passionate about, and hopefully those passions involved values that are key to medicine. Have her succeed academically, and then she can come back here for advice when the time is right to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
She should accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing including primary care. 200+ clinical volunteering hours (hospital setting would be good) will help. Also any non clinical volunteering with the less fortunate in our society will help. EMT certification is not necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you so much

I think the most important aspect of extracurricular activities for PreMed is to do hobbies and activities she is passionate about. Some of these may be related to Medicine, some not. Send me a private message if you have more questions. It has been a while since I was in the med school admissions process, but at least when I was applying, there were no "minimum" volunteer hour requirements.