I'm accepted to a school i don't want to go to...Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bluemirage said:
I don't think responders believe that they are more deserving than the OP...I think that you are misinterpreting the posts. What everyone is saying bottom line is, he has had the opportunity to discuss his choices of schools he applied to with his wife. Hence he had plenty of time to make informed decisions right up till he received his acceptance letter. If he decided that Wayne State is not where he wanted to attend, he could have withdrawn after the interview. There were quite a number of months between when he applied and when he received his acceptance.The fact that he waited till after receiving the acceptance to realize that he does not want to attend is what frustrates other candidates as he took up a perfectly good spot that thousands of others would have wanted.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Bluemirage said:
I don't think responders believe that they are more deserving than the OP...I think that you are misinterpreting the posts. What everyone is saying bottom line is, he has had the opportunity to discuss his choices of schools he applied to with his wife. Hence he had plenty of time to make informed decisions right up till he received his acceptance letter. If he decided that Wayne State is not where he wanted to attend, he could have withdrawn after the interview. There were quite a number of months between when he applied and when he received his acceptance.The fact that he waited till after receiving the acceptance to realize that he does not want to attend is what frustrates other candidates as he took up a perfectly good spot that thousands of others would have wanted.

Oh, gimme a break. He's not required to bend over backwards to make things convenient for other applicants. He is perfectly entitled to take until whatever date he has to decide, typically May 15, I guess.

beetlerum said:
Oh, gimme a break. He's not required to bend over backwards to make things convenient for other applicants. He is perfectly entitled to take until whatever date he has to decide, typically May 15, I guess.

No one is saying he doesnt, the OP asked if withdrawing would be a good idea; its not, thats what we said and why. The problem is that if he didnt want to go to the school he should have withdrawed earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
beetlerum said:

I think that the issue for many of us is that the OP (and/or his wife) decided that they didn’t want to come to Wayne/Detroit very soon after his interview and then waited to let the school know.

To make the point perfectly clear: the problem is the delay between his/their deciding and informing the school of his decision.
The fact that he was offered a seat in the class in the interim is a separate issue.

Like previous posters have said, try to get a deferment and reapply for next year's class. If you get the deferment and get accepted to a "better" school, great! If you don't get accepted, then you can still goto medical school.

But, honestly...you are going to take a chance and not goto a medical school that was willing to accept you? Many folks here would go to any accredited US medical school in a heartbeat. I know I would, even if it meant moving.

oldjeeps said:
I think that the issue for many of us is that the OP (and/or his wife) decided that they didn’t want to come to Wayne/Detroit very soon after his interview and then waited to let the school know.

To make the point perfectly clear: the problem is the delay between his/their deciding and informing the school of his decision.
The fact that he was offered a seat in the class in the interim is a separate issue.

We'll just have to disagree. I don't think it matters when he and his wife decided they didn't want to live there. He is perfectly entitled to take up to the deadline to commit to a decision.

And anyway, whenever he notifies the school, the seat will eventually go to someone else. The idea that he should notify the school ASAP so the next recipient of the seat can know earlier is silly.

Do you know if this is true for all schools or was this just okay with the individual school you deferred from?

nefarious said:
Sorry, but that is just flat out incorrect. If your school allows it, you are able to defer and re-apply.

AMCAS does allow this. In fact, if you feel uncomfortable asking your school if you may apply to other schools while deferred, AMCAS can tell you. AMCAS knows all.

I am deferring and re-applying next year (for very different reasons that the OP) and I have an email in hand from AMCAS verifying my ability to do so with specific reference to the school I am deferred at (even though I never specified which school in my original inquiry).

JoeyJoeJoe said:
Do you know if this is true for all schools or was this just okay with the individual school you deferred from?

only certain schools will let you and it's rare. i think one is Carver.

I'd reapply. Detroits ghetto. With a 32 and a 3.6 i think you'll be okay. I find it funny how everyone is trying to make your stats look like they are barely acceptable. MCAT average for matriculants is still around 30. You probably wont get in to a top ten but youd be competitive at alot of good schools. Do whats best for YOU. Whether you go to a school you dont want to and end up completely miserable for four years or reapply, you take a chance either way.

I agree, reapply, but because my friend is waitlisted at wayne state and i'm sure he'd love the movement.

Dooooom said:
I agree, reapply, but because my friend is waitlisted at wayne state and i'm sure he'd love the movement.

so would i.

does anyone know where you can find what schools allow deferment while still holding an acceptance? thank you!

This thread is ridiculous. Johns Hopkins hospital is located in a very bad section of Baltimore. Would anyone say: "I got into Hopkins but the area is bad" This is the same thing if someone does not go to Wayne State.

Hmmm. What is worse? Baltimore or Detroit?

I have not been to Detroit other than the airport.

I have been to Baltimore several times, but many sections are quite crumbled.

Members don't see this ad :)
That being said, I advise you to go to Wayne State.

ljh55 said:
So I was only accepted to one school but its in Detroit (Wayne St.) and I...well mostly my wife, don't want to go to detroit because of the crime and cold. We also don't want to go because it is so expensive (45K). I have a lot of research, clinical exp with handicapped indiv, a 32 on mcat, and a 3.6 GPA. I feel that I should have been accepted to more schools but I was a late applicant due to retaking the MCAT. So does anyone have any advice on whether I should turn down Wayne St. and reapply, or any advise on Wayne St. in general? I wasn't too impressed with it.

I know a couple of people who are in MD programs at wayne. This is year or last year, wayne made 1st year pass fail, hence 1st year has become a lot more easier than before. Wayne is okay school. dont worry to much. But with numbers like yours if you reapply you are likely to get into a lot of other places.

Picard88 said:
This is year or last year, wayne made 1st year pass fail, hence 1st year has become a lot more easier than before.

I don’t know about your source for that information. WSU-SOM has been pass/fail for more than just a couple of years (try more like for at least the past ten years).
And I’m not convinced that first year being pass/fail made it any “easier”.

As someone who foolishly applied to MD/PhD programs and managed to get into one straight out of undergrad, I would say do not go where you don't want to. I made the wrong decision because I was interested in research. I wasn't the most competitive applicant, so I was pumped when I got in. I didn't pause to think how MUCH research I wanted to do.. and now I'm entering my 7th year of the program and I hate the city, I hate the graduate program. Everyone I entered medical school with has graduated and moved on, and the ones that entered the MD/PhD with me are leaving soon. I moved across the country to come here, and basically graduate school isolated me from everyone around me. I now have no support system here, and I'm still stuck here for at least two more years. It may be better for you since your wife is going with you, but think very carefully about how long you're willing to be in a place before you go. As some of the people have said, there will be other acceptances if you were meant to be a doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who foolishly applied to MD/PhD programs and managed to get into one straight out of undergrad, I would say do not go where you don't want to. I made the wrong decision because I was interested in research. I wasn't the most competitive applicant, so I was pumped when I got in. I didn't pause to think how MUCH research I wanted to do.. and now I'm entering my 7th year of the program and I hate the city, I hate the graduate program. Everyone I entered medical school with has graduated and moved on, and the ones that entered the MD/PhD with me are leaving soon. I moved across the country to come here, and basically graduate school isolated me from everyone around me. I now have no support system here, and I'm still stuck here for at least two more years. It may be better for you since your wife is going with you, but think very carefully about how long you're willing to be in a place before you go. As some of the people have said, there will be other acceptances if you were meant to be a doctor.

Perfectly solid post. 10 year old thread.

Oh Please. When you get married, you lose the right to think only about yourself. It's a partnership--his wife has just as much say over where they should spend the next 4 years as he does.
THIS.

seriously? betting that you never end up married. and yes, that was incredibly misogynistic.
defer a year and reapply. this way, you have a sure acceptance while you try your hand at what may be impossible.

also not to sound misogynistic but she needs to learn her place. this is not her decision. this is your career, not your wife's. be a man.

So I was only accepted to one school but its in Detroit (Wayne St.) and I...well mostly my wife, don't want to go to detroit because of the crime and cold. We also don't want to go because it is so expensive (45K). I have a lot of research, clinical exp with handicapped indiv, a 32 on mcat, and a 3.6 GPA. I feel that I should have been accepted to more schools but I was a late applicant due to retaking the MCAT. So does anyone have any advice on whether I should turn down Wayne St. and reapply, or any advise on Wayne St. in general? I wasn't too impressed with it.

It is not a long-term comittment. Life will get better after school. I would accept the invitation for admission. If you decline, there might not be a second chance. Will you be OK with the lost opportunity?