Accepted to MD and DO with a 496 and 494; My Story of Hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermDOcGenZ

Reaction score
I did not receive a single interview my first cycle and to be frank, I applied to 28 schools in 2020-21 cycle not knowing a 492 mcat was Trash. I then completed a one year Master's and retook the MCAT, getting an overall score of 496 with CARS being a 121. YIKES, right!! I signed up for the exam again and in the mean time; I still applied the next cycle to 30 schools including IV leagues because I am delusional HAHA.

Application Background: I did my Master's at a DO medical school and got the pre-clinical dean to write my LOR and the Dean of Master's at the SOM to write another LOR. Moreover, I did research at an additional MD medical school under the head of research, whom also wrote my LOR. I then had 2 physician's and a science professor in undergrad write my remaining LOR's. My science GPA in undergrad was a 3.71 and overall a 3.76 on the AMCAS application. My Master's GPA was a 3.51. I had 2 publications, 2500+ hours of research and ER scribing. 1500+ hours of non-medical volunteering over 6 years at the same place and numerous non-medical extracurriculars such as acting for scripted television and modeling for big brand names. BTW, I suck at standardized exams, but truly do have a really easy personality to vibe with.

Before taking my new MCAT exam, I was shocked to see that I had gotten 4 interview invites late in November with rejections left and right from other schools of Medicine. 3 schools were DO: WestU, PCOM, and Nova. Wayne State was my MD interview. At this point I was rejected from Lecom so I hope you can understand my shock at even getting an interview.

About 4 weeks later I was accepted to Wayne State, and Nova. I was waitlisted at PCOM and WestU. Following this another three weeks down the line, I received my new mcat score, I got a 494 :0. That is wild to me, and I was ghosted for a month and a half, though content because I put money down at Wayne to have a seat somewhere. Then the first week of June I got accepted to both PCOM and WestU.

Now for those who think I am going to fail step, I just had a meeting with the dean at my medical school and was recognized as the top 10% of my class. My dean even told me he was one of the members that voted against me being given a seat. Ultimately, If you want it bad, you will push through the pain and once you get in-- kick some ass to show them your score does not define you.

I genuinely wish all applicants luck in this process and hope this gave some hope to those delusional like me :)

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Bravo on the reinvention!!

Your performance in the MS proved that you could handle med school. Some of my SMP students who have done well in our program have shown that sub-500 MCAT no longer has relevance.

Reactions: 8 users