Illinois CVM c/o 2023 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! I’ll be a first year in August and I’ve found a house really close to vet Med (less than 1.5 miles). It’s also right next door to some current vet Med students which is nice! It’s a five bedroom home, currently 3 rooms are spoken for. There is a fenced in yard for furry friends and rent is $400 a month. Let me know or message me if you’re interested! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Incoming first year male looking for a roommate or two in a house, message me if interested!

Do most vet students work part-time? What kinds of jobs are there? I'm concerned about not having any income

Members don't see this ad :)
Do most vet students work part-time? What kinds of jobs are there? I'm concerned about not having any income
As someone who has spent my first year working part-time (~12-20hrs/wk, depending on exam schedule) let me say two things:
1. It’s possible
2. It’s not ideal

There are a number of jobs available through vet med; however, a good percentage of them are overnight on-call positions for some of our emergency services and for many (all?) of these you don’t get paid unless you get called in. ie: awesome opportunity for experience!!! but almost definitely won’t cover your rent.
There are some other jobs involving giving tours, research, etc which may be slightly more regular...I can’t really speak to those.

For me, I needed a job to make rent. I got a menial job which doesn’t really relate to vet med at all, but I can afford my apartment so yay. Tbh, the job really hasn’t impacted my grades. However, I live in a constant state of sleep deprivation. Also, I have missed out on a lot of seminars/events (wet labs, speakers, etc) which weren’t required for my grade, but which would have made me a better student/vet.

Soooo
I know some people need to work. That’s me, too. But if at all possible..my takeaway from this past year working part time is that, unless the work is vet-related, I wouldn’t recommend it. You’re here to become the best vet you can be, and part-time jobs (on top of vet med which is already the equivalent of a full time job lol) can really complicate that.

If nothing else, try it out but be vigilant of your needs. Don’t overload yourself!

Reactions: 1 user

I work in our VDL and as an ambassador coordinator, and have had those two positions since the fall of first year 1.0 . I also did on call ICU for a while, but had to drop that during the fall due to time constraints and mental health.

The VDL job is me showing up when I can. So the hours are pretty swanky for me. The ambassador coordinator is a rolling commitment where some days I don't do anything, and others I'm doing a ton.

I think it's pretty doable. I'm not doing it to the level of paying rent by any means. But around 5-10 hours a week between the two positions. That money is used for "fun" stuff so that I don't use loans to buy swag or ice cream or movie tickets. The clinician that heads the department I work for in the VDL is acting as a current reference for 4th year externships, which has been a solid resource.

Under no circumstances think that you'll be able to work enough to afford cost of living working for the school. There's a limit of 20 hours a week, and very few people I know actually work that kind of time.

Reactions: 1 users
How do we go about getting these jobs that are about 5-8hrs a week (that would be ideal for me)

How do we go about getting these jobs that are about 5-8hrs a week (that would be ideal for me)

They're advertised to the classes either through email, clubs, fliers, or word of mouth. I got the VDL job through the pathology club, and I went looking for the ambassador job. They just emailed out looking for radiology and clinical path student techs. Asking upper class men in those positions also can help

As Bibesy said, the on call ones are random AF. So mac of 8 hours on those is only guaranteed if you work a single day a week.

Anyone know how full our class is? I have a friend on the waitlist and would love for her to be invited to the class so I'm pretty curious!

Anyone know how full our class is? I have a friend on the waitlist and would love for her to be invited to the class so I'm pretty curious!
No one outside our admin would have access to this information. Waitlist movement should start happening very soon since the acceptance deadline is rapidly approaching. Good luck to your friend!

If your friend hasn’t set up a file review yet, I’d recommend setting one up for the soonest date ASA has available.
Also, with all of the deposits/acceptance forms needing to be mailed in, I think they don’t start calling until a week or so after the deadline, since it just needs to be postmarked by the deadline.

No one outside our admin would have access to this information. Waitlist movement should start happening very soon since the acceptance deadline is rapidly approaching. Good luck to your friend!
If your friend hasn’t set up a file review yet, I’d recommend setting one up for the soonest date ASA has available.
Also, with all of the deposits/acceptance forms needing to be mailed in, I think they don’t start calling until a week or so after the deadline, since it just needs to be postmarked by the deadline.
True!! I vaguely remember in the past seeing people write on these threads that they've called the office and they told them they only had x spots left waiting for people to accept their seats or something along those lines. No biggie though just wondering if anyone had any insight

anyone received their financial aid package yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone received their financial aid package yet?

They finalized current student scholarships yesterday, so you might not have them available. I would call financial aid tomorrow if this is a deciding factor for you

Reactions: 2 users
I got a scholarship notification in the mail today!!!

• Love
Same! I’m so surprised, I thought incoming first years wouldn’t hear anything about scholarships until much later

Hey everyone! Me and another soon-to-be second year vet student are looking for 2 roommates! We have a really nice townhouse with a huge fenced yard that's about 8 minutes from school. We are pretty easy to get along with and have 2 really cute dogs! Message me if you are interested!

How do you set up a file review?

If anyone is still looking for a roommate, I still need to fill one room at the Village in Savoy. We'll be at the pet limit, but it'll be me and one of your classmates :) The place is furnished with utilities included in the rent, besides electric.

We're being asked to fill our apartments ASAP though, so if anyone is still pondering looking at the Village, let me know as soon as you can.

If anyone is still looking for a roommate, I still need to fill one room at the Village in Savoy. We'll be at the pet limit, but it'll be me and one of your classmates :) The place is furnished with utilities included in the rent, besides electric.

We're being asked to fill our apartments ASAP though, so if anyone is still pondering looking at the Village, let me know as soon as you can.
Can confirm sporty is a cool person and so is her kitten

I agree with what Bibesy and BatSenecal said. I work 9 hours a week in LAC client services. It's not enough for paying rent by any means, but it's nice to have some extra money to help pay my other, less expensive bills, or to grab a Bagel from Einstein's every so often without using loan money. I was notified about the opening through a student Facebook page.

Also is anyone else unable to find their university identification number so that they can access their financial aid award online? I was told our UIN was on our acceptance letter but I’ve read that thing 929384 times and those numbers are nowhere to be found on lol

Also is anyone else unable to find their university identification number so that they can access their financial aid award online? I was told our UIN was on our acceptance letter but I’ve read that thing 929384 times and those numbers are nowhere to be found on lol
I’d definitely try calling the school. I know we got ours in a separate letter mid-May but it definitely wasn’t in initial acceptance letters for 2022.

I’m a current undergrad that will be at UIUC next year (so I have my financial aid page already set up) and it looks like packages haven’t been made yet

Somewhat random question: I've accumulated a LOT of scrubs while working as a vet tech. Does UIUC have specific requirements for scrubs? Trying to figure out what I should keep vs. donate.

Somewhat random question: I've accumulated a LOT of scrubs while working as a vet tech. Does UIUC have specific requirements for scrubs? Trying to figure out what I should keep vs. donate.
You can definitely wear whatever you want for anatomy lab and wet labs. I feel like the main thing for the hospital is no logos (like frontline, heartgard, any other clinic’s name) and I think nothing like characters on it? Some specific services might have their own stricter rules though, but I think those are pretty general rules throughout.
You could also try selling ones you don’t want for cheap on our vetmed for sale page and people will usually buy them.

DEFINITELY recommend keeping a couple pairs you don’t want for anatomy because mine certainly don’t smell the greatest from formalin even though I wash them weekly (though I do have a sensitive nose).

Does anybody know if we’ll get added to a Facebook page soon / official welcome to class? I’m looking to get moving with housing but have not heard anything from ASA

I’m a current undergrad that will be at UIUC next year (so I have my financial aid page already set up) and it looks like packages haven’t been made yet
This is incorrect- I got my award letter yesterday. Incoming first year vet met student.

Any current students have suggestions for anything in particular to ask for as a graduation gift for an incoming first year?:)

Any current students have suggestions for anything in particular to ask for as a graduation gift for an incoming first year?:)
If they want to give you a really nice gift, you could ask for a stethoscope (most people here seem to have a Littman Cardio III or IV, some have the Master Cardiology).

If someone wants to get you a nice stethoscope, that’d be useful! I have a littmann classic 3 and a lot of other people have the littmann cardio 4 but it’s a good amount more money. Nicer stethoscope, but I felt like I didn’t need a super fancy $200 one in school juuuuust in case it gets lost or I find a different brand I like better that I want when I graduate from school. Littmann definitely isn’t the ONLY brand, but it’s a pretty popular one

The joy of helping you pack your stuff and move it :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Current Champaign-Urbana residents: How bad are the roads *really* in winter? I'm from NW Pennsylvania and roads don't get salted or plowed here until there is like 8 inches of snow down so the roads are usually moderately not great. How well does the city maintain roads during the winter?

Also does anyone use a motorcycle to get to and from vet med? I'm looking at how realistic it would be to use motorcycle as my main transport to and from campus since the bus is apparently very slow.

On a serious note, my grandparents got me a copy of the Merck Manual for my birthday and I love having it as a reference over the recommended textbooks. I wish I'd gotten it sooner. They do have a website and an app, but I absolutely despise how the website is organized and my phone only has 16 gb of memory, so no app for me. Lol

Current Champaign-Urbana residents: How bad are the roads *really* in winter? I'm from NW Pennsylvania and roads don't get salted or plowed here until there is like 8 inches of snow down so the roads are usually moderately not great. How well does the city maintain roads during the winter?

Also does anyone use a motorcycle to get to and from vet med? I'm looking at how realistic it would be to use motorcycle as my main transport to and from campus since the bus is apparently very slow.

I think they're relatively well plowed or salted during the winter around town. Honestly, the snow levels aren't much here (I'm used to Nebraska and Colorado levels of snow for reference) and the ice is significantly more problematic to me (as ice isn't nearly as big of a deal back home). If you live outside of town (Rantoul, Tolono, St. Joseph), then you'll have patches in between there and school that 100% go unplowed. It's the number 2 reason I'm moving (I live on the outskirts of Tolono). The *campus* plowing at vet med in particular is not well done, and multiple people have been hurt falling on ice/snow in our parking lots/on our sidewalks. We seem to be the forgotten children being the southern border of campus.

Some people do use motorcycles, and scooters are more common as well. The price difference is staggering: $70 vs $660 per year. So if you feel comfortable using your motorcycle year round with the potential for black ice, then I may be worth it.

As far as the bus, it's not so much that it's slow. It's just that there's only one bus line that goes down to vet med and it gets there at the top and bottom of the hour. So for classes, you can definitely plan around it; it's pretty reliable within minutes. During clinics may be more difficult as you might be on-call or something and have to be at the hospital within 15 minutes. With that being said, the parking lots associated with vet med open up for free parking at 5 pm on weekdays and are free parking all weekend.

Yeah I agree. The snow isn’t that bad (or at least wasn’t this year) but the ice is gross. Definitely fell walking outside my apartment complex because they hadn’t salted yet.
Have also slipped a couple times at school but didn’t completely eat it so that’s a plus

Lol, I am from the exact same area of the country and I have never heard such an accurate description of how plowing goes in this area. :laugh:

I’m from northern Illinois and the difference between snow there and here is insane. It’s really not bad here at all. Usually about three big snowfalls of multiple inches (4” or so each?)..... annnnnd that’s it. Anyone from a snowy area of the country will appreciate moving to Chambana for shre

How does Illinois contact those on the waitlist? Via email or phone?

do they ever send an email to waitlisted students if they have a full class?

do they ever send an email to waitlisted students if they have a full class?

They will send all the wait listed students an email once the class is officially full.

Yeah they did for the 2021 cycle in early May. I assume they also did for 2022 when it was filled.

Beat me by literal seconds. Pay attention in histo, why dontcha?

Sorry for so many questions! But thank you for the answers :)
Has anyone been contacted on the waitlist yet?