If u have any questions........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
international said:
Hi,
I think u do have a chance to get in to programs like others, but u need to do better in other aspects, i mean either in interview or in the practicals. I think ur application might not be too late, but if some thing goes wrong, u better take the part one again and make sure that u get around 90-95 atleast for the next year. I am seeing the competetion from last 2 years and i see a tremendowun increase in the scores of the people.So u need to stand along with them. I wish you all the best this year and i think u will be fine as i know a lot of my friends less than ur scores got in to many programs in USA.
Thanks for the reply...i really appreciate it..well I think u r right..i shd retake part 1 to improve my score..but cant take before dec as i took it in sept..so not before 3 months..anyways i have to keep my fingers crossed for this year.and start preparing for P1..
thanks again :)

Members don't see this ad.

international said:
Hi,
The questions u asked me is a wonderful question. When i was in ur shoes people told me that, every one will be same once u get the interview call. BUT IT IS NOT. After the interview, they will consider each and everything of ur application and comes to a decision. So even i used to believe and think in that way , but i know it is not.
I am being frank, and it might be a little dissapointing to some and encouraging to some.
Hi,
Does that mean they consider your toefl and also how many times you have taken the exam.

neha said:
Hi,
Does that mean they consider your toefl and also how many times you have taken the exam.
Hi,
coming to the toefl score, they need the basic required score and they wont be knowing, how many times u did take toefl. Even if they come to know, they will feel happy as u would have improved i.e., u r determined to get a good score.

Members don't see this ad :)
UABDentist said:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=152648

This is a link to the thread where a few things about MS in US are mentioned.. you can check it out.
I was under the impression that one can practice in US after doing ONLY MS... sadly like i have mentioned in that thread... it is not entirely true. You have to do a DDS if u wish to practice.
After MS ..only a few states, 7 to be precise give licensure directly without DDS, however, it is only in case of a shortage or incase you're going to be working in a Hispanic area or a University...etc. Its a chance you would be taking.
And let me tell you this... MS seems very cool. but it is very very difficult to get into.... You would be competing with DDS's and some who also have GPRs ..or a few yrs of private practice... This applies to any field in MS... Nothing is easy. I applied to 18 schools for Ortho, have heard from 15 :thumbdown: at one place i am waitlisted for the "interview"...i doubt i will hear from them.. and 2 more are yet to declare...
Your scores are gr8. no doubt. but like International says..... you shud try and get into some kinda research experience "related to Dentistry" ofcourse...
and better still if it is in your MS field...

Hope this helps... I'd be glad to help if you need anything else..
Gud Luck! Study hard...

UAbDentist

Thanx for your reply.
The link sent by you is really informative.
I have one more question in mind.
What are the career oppertunities once you have finished MS(without DDS)??
As it is difficult to get license, do you end up in research and academia or still there are any oppertunities for clinical practic...

UABDentist said:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=152648

This is a link to the thread where a few things about MS in US are mentioned.. you can check it out.
I was under the impression that one can practice in US after doing ONLY MS... sadly like i have mentioned in that thread... it is not entirely true. You have to do a DDS if u wish to practice.
After MS ..only a few states, 7 to be precise give licensure directly without DDS, however, it is only in case of a shortage or incase you're going to be working in a Hispanic area or a University...etc. Its a chance you would be taking.
And let me tell you this... MS seems very cool. but it is very very difficult to get into.... You would be competing with DDS's and some who also have GPRs ..or a few yrs of private practice... This applies to any field in MS... Nothing is easy. I applied to 18 schools for Ortho, have heard from 15 :thumbdown: at one place i am waitlisted for the "interview"...i doubt i will hear from them.. and 2 more are yet to declare...
Your scores are gr8. no doubt. but like International says..... you shud try and get into some kinda research experience "related to Dentistry" ofcourse...
and better still if it is in your MS field...

Hope this helps... I'd be glad to help if you need anything else..
Gud Luck! Study hard...

UAbDentist

Thanx for your reply.
The link sent by you is really informative.
I have one more question in mind.
What are the career oppertunities once you have finished MS(without DDS)??
As it is difficult to get license, do you end up in research and academia or still there are any oppertunities for clinical practice..

international said:
Hi all,
I can give u all some information regarding the interview process in some of the schools for DDS. I can answer some of the questions as i had attended inteviews last year like you guys who r going to attend this time. Post any questions u have, and i will try to let you know as much as i can. U can ask me about most of the schools except, Upitt,UOP,CWRU and FLORIDA as i didnt attend these schools.

ALL THE BEST TO YOU ALL

International
hey international you are doing a great job
i have 89 in part 1, toefl is 273 and gpa is 3.17
i applied to ucsf,ucla,uop, colorado university, nyu,boston,novasoutheastern in florida
got a call from ucsf only
got a rejection from upenn
can you tell me something about nova south eastern , not many people are talking about this university
and my chances for boston an nyu
kindly give me your expert advise
thanks and hearing from you very soon

international said:
Hi,
coming to the toefl score, they need the basic required score and they wont be knowing, how many times u did take toefl. Even if they come to know, they will feel happy as u would have improved i.e., u r determined to get a good score.

By exam I meant the nationals boards :) lazy me .

nimeshshingala said:
hey international you are doing a great job
i have 89 in part 1, toefl is 273 and gpa is 3.17
i applied to ucsf,ucla,uop, colorado university, nyu,boston,novasoutheastern in florida
got a call from ucsf only
got a rejection from upenn
can you tell me something about nova south eastern , not many people are talking about this university
and my chances for boston an nyu
kindly give me your expert advise
thanks and hearing from you very soon
Hi,
First of alll Happy Halloween. Coming to ur questions, i think u can get in to UCSF if u do the rest of the things fine. And coming to the others, i really dont have any idea in Nova, colorado(New one), I think u have good chnaces in NYU and i cant say about BU, cos they generally take students over 90. As u r at the border, i think even u have a chance but not sure.

neha said:
By exam I meant the nationals boards :) lazy me .
Hi,
as far as i know they wont even know how many times u took the boards.

Hi there International.....
I would like to know about the practical exam conducted in UCSF. My question is whether the Typhodont will be mounted in a MANIKIN for us to do the preparation or will we be allowed to hold the typhodont in the hand for doing the tooth preparations

Thanks and regards,
LuvDent007

luvdent007 said:
Hi there International.....
I would like to know about the practical exam conducted in UCSF. My question is whether the Typhodont will be mounted in a MANIKIN for us to do the preparation or will we be allowed to hold the typhodont in the hand for doing the tooth preparations

Thanks and regards,
LuvDent007
Hi,
As far as i remember u will be working in a mannequin. So u will have a head and a face. So it is a kind of simulation exercise.

Hi International
I've got acceptance from BU...and Iam told that u dont have much time to work on campus. My question is ..shd I change my visa status from H4 to F1 ?
Are there any other benefits besides that u can work on campus ?

S vashishta said:
Hi International
I've got acceptance from BU...and Iam told that u dont have much time to work on campus. My question is ..shd I change my visa status from H4 to F1 ?
hey vashishta,
it depends upon ur green card stage.....if u expect to get ur green card or EAD by the time u graduate then u r fine on h-4...
but if u dont expect that to happen any time soon....please change ur visa status to f-1....
becoz a person can get a 'H' type visa for 6 yrs max....
so after graduation u will get an h-1 for only the time remaining out of your 6 yrs h-4 period....eg if u r on h-4 for 4 yrs already...u can get h-1 only for 2 yrs.....
and then u will have to go back to ur country for 1 year and come back....
or if u r lucky and ur employer files for ur gc by then then u may continue....

so u can explore ur options and decide...
hope it helps

Members don't see this ad :)
S vashishta said:
Hi International
Hi,
Congratulations on ur admission at BU. I think what star wars says is good, but i dont have any idea about the years of getting H1 after H4. (As per Starwars).But the only suggestion i could give you is, u have to make ur decision based on ur green card status and nothing else. Shifting to F1 wont help u in anything unless u dont have any other options. Some times u might get a SSN if u are on F1 and would like to work on campus. But i dont know the recent changes in rules to give SSN to the F1 students.

Congratulations for being acceped at BU....
You must be celebtating...
I will appreciate if you can share your interview experienc at BU as I have also applied and wanna prepare myself.
Waiting eagerly for your reply...

Thanx Starwars & International .
I really appreciate ur efforts, to help me make a decision.

Hey Civil
Best of luck for ur interview at BU.
Interview is very casual and conducted in a relaxed manner.
Jus read up the interview thread on bu interview...u'll get a fairly good idea.
Be urself and most important be confident but not over confident. Show them that ur only goal now is to be a part of BU.
:luck:

starwars said:
hey vashishta,
it depends upon ur green card stage.....if u expect to get ur green card or EAD by the time u graduate then u r fine on h-4...
but if u dont expect that to happen any time soon....please change ur visa status to f-1....
becoz a person can get a 'H' type visa for 6 yrs max....
so after graduation u will get an h-1 for only the time remaining out of your 6 yrs h-4 period....eg if u r on h-4 for 4 yrs already...u can get h-1 only for 2 yrs.....
and then u will have to go back to ur country for 1 year and come back....
or if u r lucky and ur employer files for ur gc by then then u may continue....

so u can explore ur options and decide...
hope it helps
hey vashista, i second starwars on this. u can get H visa only for 6 yrs. so its better if u take students visa. unless ofcourse u r near getting ur green card.

Just a small piece of advice- its best to ask your company lawyer what you should do as they know your gc status and where it will be in the next few years as well as they will find out any fine print problems that may occur.Sometimes it varies for person to person so follow what they say.Good luck.

S vashishta said:
Thanx Starwars & International .
I really appreciate ur efforts, to help me make a decision.

Hey Civil
Best of luck for ur interview at BU.
Interview is very casual and conducted in a relaxed manner.
Jus read up the interview thread on bu interview...u'll get a fairly good idea.
Be urself and most important be confident but not over confident. Show them that ur only goal now is to be a part of BU.
:luck:

Thanx for your quick response.
I will definately go through the thread mentioned by you....
thanx again

neha said:
Hi,
Does anyone here have any idea how long the NBD part 1 scores are valid.Hey international do you know anyone who has got an admission with score older than 3 years.thanks :thumbup:
Hi,
I know one person who got admission with 2-3 year old score. And what matters is the score and not when did u take it. So the admission is based on the score.

All the best

As a foreign trained dentist with a GPA of 2.85 , how do I improve my Gpa for applying for the 2006 cycle.... Now that I have a full year to do some thing?? Can any one please help?
Thnx a lot

g3k said:
As a foreign trained dentist with a GPA of 2.85 , how do I improve my Gpa for applying for the 2006 cycle.... Now that I have a full year to do some thing?? Can any one please help?
Thnx a lot
Hi,
The question u asked is a good one but as far as i know, u dont have a chance to improve the score what u have. But I know one solution and i think u might be knowing it. As u know there are 2 agentcies which do GPA. One is ECE and the other is WES. I and i think most know that ECE gives less GPA compared to the ECE, so i would suggest you to get the Evluation done from WES. it might help you.
Coming to the year u have now, i would suggest you to do some observatoryship or working in a dental office or research with some academician. I know any of the three will be sure shot helpful.

So dont waste u r time and be smart and all the smart.
Even if u have less points in certain aspects of ur application, u can override them if u r smart and so things smartly.

international said:
Hi,
The question u asked is a good one but as far as i know, u dont have a chance to improve the score what u have. But I know one solution and i think u might be knowing it. As u know there are 2 agentcies which do GPA. One is ECE and the other is WES. I and i think most know that ECE gives less GPA compared to the ECE, so i would suggest you to get the Evluation done from WES. it might help you.
Coming to the year u have now, i would suggest you to do some observatoryship or working in a dental office or research with some academician. I know any of the three will be sure shot helpful.

So dont waste u r time and be smart and all the smart.
Even if u have less points in certain aspects of ur application, u can override them if u r smart and so things smartly.

Thank you... How do I go ahead with research , I mean where do I apply, what field etc???
Thanks in advance
g3k

hi international ,first of all want to thank you for helping all of us......u r doing really a gr8 job!
today i got rejection from u.o.p for interview & was very upset but suddenly i realised i have one person who can definately show me some path & i rushed to my computer....believe me!
my part 1 score is 85,g.p.a 3.52 & toefl score 250.now i have defenatly decided to take part 1 again & improve my scores & also i am giving part 2 in dec.
apart from that do u think i can do anything else to improve my application>?
i have done one month observership at uni of tennessee.and i am on visitor visa which expires in dec...so i dont have much time in u.s.
also i wanted to know that is my visa status one of the factor for rejection..>?
i mean do they prefer h1 or greencard over b1....or there is no difference for H1 & B1?
THANKS IN ADVANCE.for ur time & help......

ya its a good idea to improve u r score.try to give part-1 again and improve it.But dodnt be disappointed ,myself with part-1 95,couldnt get an interview call at UOP(green card holder too.).just need to accept things some times when luck is not u r side.
good luck.

g3k said:
Thank you... How do I go ahead with research , I mean where do I apply, what field etc???
Thanks in advance
g3k
Hi,
I mean, do some research, means u can do any research related to dentistry and if u do a part time job it will be healpful too. I cant really stress which one carries more. I think it depends on the school.

jcv said:
hi international ,first of all want to thank you for helping all of us......u r doing really a gr8 job!
today i got rejection from u.o.p for interview & was very upset but suddenly i realised i have one person who can definately show me some path & i rushed to my computer....believe me!
my part 1 score is 85,g.p.a 3.52 & toefl score 250.now i have defenatly decided to take part 1 again & improve my scores & also i am giving part 2 in dec.
apart from that do u think i can do anything else to improve my application>?
i have done one month observership at uni of tennessee.and i am on visitor visa which expires in dec...so i dont have much time in u.s.
also i wanted to know that is my visa status one of the factor for rejection..>?
i mean do they prefer h1 or greencard over b1....or there is no difference for H1 & B1?
THANKS IN ADVANCE.for ur time & help......
Hi,
First of all thanx for trusting me. Coming to the point, i infer that u have ur visa until december and I feel Part one is more impt than part two. As u have visa until december, i would rather suggest you to give part one than part two. I dont know whether u have started preparing for part two but think about it. U need to plan such a way that u better have a great score in part one rather than having a good score in part two and average score in part one. So plan according to the time u have and visa constrictions. If u think u can get the visa again before the next application time, u can take part one that time also.

Coming to kind or status visa infulencing ur application review, i think there wont be ny influence, but if u stress some where in application that u had visa until december, then it might have influnced. But if u dont mention anything, it doesnt matter on what visa u r in.

The last question, whether do they prefere people having green card or H1 or B1, they really dont care and they just want the right person in the program.

tempabc said:
ya its a good idea to improve u r score.try to give part-1 again and improve it.But dodnt be disappointed ,myself with part-1 95,couldnt get an interview call at UOP(green card holder too.).just need to accept things some times when luck is not u r side.
good luck.
Hi,
i am really sorry that u couldnt get a call from UOP. But i think there is some thing worng with ur application, either a missing document or some printing mistake. So if i were u, i will call then and find out what is gone wrong in ur application as i dont think any university will negelce a student who has 95 in part one, cos not many people will get that score.

I also hadn't any call from uop UCSF and UCLA part 1:92
GPA :3.86, MS in restorative with GPA:4 and TOEFL 570
:( :( :(

yasi said:
Hi,
I am really astonished by seeing these and i have a question for you. Do u think what would have gone wrong with ur applications. Did u find out.? I hope all ur dreams come true.

I called the schools on the first day itself to confirm all my scores.Every thing is perfect,no mistakes.When i called UOP they told that they are taking only highly qualified plp for the interview(80 plp).I have only 11 months experience in USA,or toefl score of -250-one of them might be the cause i am thinking.They are not going to tell right now why they didnt call,but once interviews get over they will let us know,whats wrong with our application.

tempabc said:
I called the schools on the first day itself to confirm all my scores.Every thing is perfect,no mistakes.When i called UOP they told that they are taking only highly qualified plp for the interview(80 plp).I have only 11 months experience in USA,or toefl score of -250-one of them might be the cause i am thinking.They are not going to tell right now why they didnt call,but once interviews get over they will let us know,whats wrong with our application.
thts really crazy i dont have any experience in the us. i have been called for interview in uop. did ur documents reach on timeetc? i think u should follow this up.

yasi said:
was ur gpa ece orwes? they dont take wes in ucsf. i know tht for sure.
i also had to struggle to get my ucsf interview. i literally had to fight for it.
but they had some stupid reason tht my ndb scores didnt reach thm etc. i had to get the ada poeple to contct ucsf directly to tell thm tht it was sent well b4 time.finally last week i got a call.
its so not fair tht people with good grades and scores dont get called for the interview
:smuggrin:

Please help me with this question

If a person has normal musculature but has difficulty swallowing, which nerves should be tested for function?
Vagus and Splanchnic Or
Vagus and Glossopharyngeal

Thank you
Sarita

tempabc said:
Hi,
i think there must be something wrong with ur application as i know people with 88 got interview call. I am really sorry for you and lets hope for the best. If not UOP, or UCSF, i think a person who is eligible can get anywhere no matter what happens. This is my policy.
Anyway all the best

Ann 03 said:
was ur gpa ece orwes? they dont take wes in ucsf. i know tht for sure.
i also had to struggle to get my ucsf interview. i literally had to fight for it.
but they had some stupid reason tht my ndb scores didnt reach thm etc. i had to get the ada poeple to contct ucsf directly to tell thm tht it was sent well b4 time.finally last week i got a call.
its so not fair tht people with good grades and scores dont get called for the interview
:smuggrin:

my transcripts and GPA was evaluated by ECE

I reactivated my application in july 2004.

Ann 03 said:
thts really crazy i dont have any experience in the us. i have been called for interview in uop. did ur documents reach on timeetc? i think u should follow this up.

hi thanks alot international,for your giudance.i have mentioned in all my applications about my visa status coz i was worried if they called my after december.......so i think they will not give me inetrview...
may be better luck next time!as i have already started preparing for part 2 i am thinking of giving it now & planning to retake part 1 in july so that i can apply in august......do u think its a gud time to apply or should it be earlier?

hi thank you dear,
i hope that u get admission in the program of ur choice coz u really deserve it!!
and i will try to do best for next year......

jcv said:
hi thanks alot international,for your giudance.i have mentioned in all my applications about my visa status coz i was worried if they called my after december.......so i think they will not give me inetrview...
may be better luck next time!as i have already started preparing for part 2 i am thinking of giving it now & planning to retake part 1 in july so that i can apply in august......do u think its a gud time to apply or should it be earlier?
Hi,
i think if u can appply before the deadlines, u will be fine. So if u r taking part one in july, make sure that u get ur results before the deadlines.

Great job buddy!!!
You are very considerate person & sparing so much of ur valuable time to help ppl. :)

Thank you very much for all the efforts u have taken :thumbup:

neha said:
HI ,
Can you or anyone here tell me how the interview at UOP will be.I mean will it be casual like boston or Upenn or will they ask technical questions at UOP?
Hi,
I am sorry as i cant help u much in this as i havent attended to UOP interview.
All the best

keepsmiling said:
Great job buddy!!!
You are very considerate person & sparing so much of ur valuable time to help ppl. :)

Thank you very much for all the efforts u have taken :thumbup:
Hi,
Thanx a lot and u r welcome. I know how hard it will be when u r attedning the interviews and wait for the admission letter and want to reach one of the goal in ur life. I made it and i want everyone to make it too.
All the best :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

:love: You are awesome!!!!!!!!!

Gosh..international..i just came across this thread and was amazed at the fabulous posts you've posted.Thank you!!
I have an 84 on the part one,280 - toefl,3.57 - gpa with three yrs of clinical experience and 8mths of volunteer experience in the U.S.
I was called for the USC interview and the GRP discussion part of it went really well. As far as the practical goes...it went even better as i practiced at the clinic i go to for several weeks and i was very satisfied with the result on that day. My question is that would my score be a deterent to being accepted even though my interview and especially my practical went really well?? Its the only school that called me for an interview and is my only shot...i hope you undertstand my desperation...

Hi,

Can u please tell me any news about the NYU admissions for fall 2005? I scored 82 and was wondering about my chances in NYU?

carabelli said:
Gosh..international..i just came across this thread and was amazed at the fabulous posts you've posted.Thank you!!
I have an 84 on the part one,280 - toefl,3.57 - gpa with three yrs of clinical experience and 8mths of volunteer experience in the U.S.
I was called for the USC interview and the GRP discussion part of it went really well. As far as the practical goes...it went even better as i practiced at the clinic i go to for several weeks and i was very satisfied with the result on that day. My question is that would my score be a deterent to being accepted even though my interview and especially my practical went really well?? Its the only school that called me for an interview and is my only shot...i hope you undertstand my desperation...
Hi,
I can understand ur situation. The score u have is good, but not a great score. I am being frank. I know people with 86+/-2 got in to USC last year and based on that i can say that u have fair chances cos, u said that u did ur practical exams and group discussion well. But, u never know the competition and other competitors. Keep ur fingers crossed and I wish you all the best. U know everyyear competition increases. People think that once they called for interview, everyone is same, but IT IS NOT.
I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST

denzel said:
Hi,

Can u please tell me any news about the NYU admissions for fall 2005? I scored 82 and was wondering about my chances in NYU?

Hi,
did u get an interview call to NYU.

Hi International,
u seem to be knowing a lot. could you please tell me when classes usually start for international dentists in Upenn and NYU?? do we get a break in the middle... if so when....
ur reply is appreciated....