If lab closes due to COVID, can I keep my (old) MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted728364

I started research late in undergrad and will require a gap year of research to have the experience necessary for MD/PhD. Unfortunately, it is looking like the lab I was set to work in might be closing due to COVID (hasn’t been confirmed yet).

I have taken the MCAT in 2019. If the current situation persists with COVID up to next year, and I am forced to wait an additional year before applying, will adcoms be willing to accept the normally out-of-date MCAT? For schools that only accept MCATs within 3 years of matriculation, my score will be invalid.

This is (hopefully) not a likely scenario, but in the event that social distancing measures need to be kept up until next year, things might get tricky. I noticed that a some applicants on the r/mdphd subreddit were also dealing with lab closures, so I was wondering how adcoms will handle issues stemming from this.

I know this is too early to tell, but if relaxing the MCAT policy is an unreasonable ask then I'd like to know.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took the MCAT in 2017 and was fine for this 2019-2020 cycle. With that logic if you took it in 2019 you should be ok for the 2021-2022 cycle (depends slightly on which month you took it in and which schools are on your list.) Double check with each school to make sure I'm correct, but I'm pretty sure you would still be ok if you had to take 2 gap years.

I checked many schools' websites, and applying in 2022 (ugh) with a 2019 MCAT isn't valid at most schools. Original plan was to work in the lab until May 2021, and then apply with the newfound experience. If COVID forced the lab to shut down, I might be forced to *start* working in the lab around May 2021.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are new and exciting times.... Your 2017 MCAT would likely be ok. With MCAT cancellations, you might need to take it in August if you want to have broad appeal, but many programs that assess applicants holistically might feel it is ok.
PM me...

Reactions: 1 user
School may be more likely to make exceptions in the coming years