If Drumph wins, I’ll blame the democrats.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll blame the people who vote for him myself but to each their own. I'm glad the right has settled on their new Boogeyman now that they have defeated abortion; we have to protect children from being woke now. Too bad protecting them from economic collapse, nuclear proliferation, inaccessible healthcare with safety nets threatening to collapse, and planetary climate disaster don't get the same priority. But as long as race doesn't exist and drag gets banned all will be right in the world.

Reactions: 17 users
Not sure how interesting of an article it is. It's basically just an editorial that supports her own agenda and she plays the victim.

She says she she was kicked out of a zoom call that she wasn't directly invited to. So what? Was there any objective witnesses to support her statement? Any interview with the person who kicked her out?

Seems to generally fit with the usual conservative narrative. She likes to portray herself as a culture warrior fighting against the big bad leftists

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If Trump wins it will be because Biden is pulling the US (further) into the Ukraine war. Trump is positioning himself as anti-war, pro-resolution while Biden (and McConnell) are saying this war is their #1 priority and continue to endlessly support Ukraine financially and militarily. Say you want about Trump, but he’s the only president in the last 20+ years to not start a war.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Trump also seems to get along well with dictators…I wouldn’t say that’s normally a good quality to have, but with the current global environment maybe it is???

• Haha
  • Dislike
I’m going to leave this thread open for the time being however this really isn’t the place to start purely political threads. Plenty of other places for that garbage.

• Dislike
Reactions: 9 users
If Trump wins it will be because Biden is pulling the US (further) into the Ukraine war. Trump is positioning himself as anti-war, pro-resolution while Biden (and McConnell) are saying this war is their #1 priority and continue to endlessly support Ukraine financially and militarily. Say you want about Trump, but he’s the only president in the last 20+ years to not start a war.
Disagree completely. Biden has done well on Ukraine. If he capitulates on Ukraine It will embolden China on Taiwan, Encourage Iran to develop nuclear weapons for it would show that nuclear blackmail works, Reward Russia in its war of aggression.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Maybe it’s semantics, but did the United States start the war in Ukraine?

We also likely blew up the Nordstream pipeline, and as a result became the #1 exporter of Nat Gas to Europe…But this isn’t our war.

• Dislike
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. But that wasn’t the point you were making. You said “start.” Starting a war is a very different thing. Maybe you just misspoke?
Fair. Although Biden didn’t start this war, his admin is fully funding it. Many would argue his admin did not do enough to prevent the war, and continue to not work hard enough to come to a compromise.

China is trying to de-escalate more than the US is.

Reactions: 1 user
Half of Americans today would side with Russia so I’m not surprised with this logic.
I’m not pro-Russia, although I do doubt I would have much of a problem with random Joe Russian guy on the street of Moscow.

I do question why we have sent more money to Ukraine than we spent on the COVID19 vaccine and how this truly represents a good use of money for the average American citizen.

I also fully expect whoever ends up running in 2024 to be two different flavors of a turd sandwich.

• Dislike
Hundreds of billions spent. Hundreds of thousands dead. Countries destroyed. Putin recently withdrawing from New START treaty putting nuclear weapons back on the table. This is going great, right?

I’m not pro-Russia, although I do doubt I would have much of a problem with random Joe Russian guy on the street of Moscow.

I do question why we have sent more money to Ukraine than we spent on the COVID19 vaccine and how this truly represents a good use of money for the average American citizen.

I also fully expect whoever ends up running in 2024 to be two different flavors of a turd sandwich.
I get that view and for an isolationist it is logical. If you believe that global geopolitics are important and worthy of investment however then Ukraine really is a no brainer. We give them money and weapons (that we made so we're really paying our own defense contractors not Ukraine) and they wear down one of our greatest geopolitical adversaries. The political, economic, and manpower damage to Russia is worth much more than what we have paid and no American lives lost.

If we didn't have bad geopolitical actors then I agree it makes no sense to have backed Ukraine.

How are things going well with Ukraine? How do you see this ending?
With Russia's ability to wage war severely diminished going forward for at least a decade.

Russia invades a new country every few years. If we don't stop them in Ukraine, they will just keep on marching through eastern Europe.

Ukraine is the best opportunity to combine our weapons with foreign soldiers to decimate the Russians ability to wage further invasions. It also provides a proving ground for our weapons to later sell to Ukraine and other countries, and test out new equipment and strategies.

Also likely dissuades China from aggression against Taiwan.

So the US is taking the right approach.

Hundreds of billions spent. Hundreds of thousands dead. Countries destroyed. Putin recently withdrawing from New START treaty putting nuclear weapons back on the table. This is going great, right?
I know right? How dare those Ukrainians fight back against an invasion

Wth this mentality, we would still all be British..

I get that view and for an isolationist it is logical. If you believe that global geopolitics are important and worthy of investment however then Ukraine really is a no brainer. We give them money and weapons (that we made so we're really paying our own defense contractors not Ukraine) and they wear down one of our greatest geopolitical adversaries. The political, economic, and manpower damage to Russia is worth much more than what we have paid and no American lives lost.

If we didn't have bad geopolitical actors then I agree it makes no sense to have backed Ukraine.
I'm in my 30s and I'm not sure I've ever felt Russian was "one of our greatest geopolitical adversaries" during my lifetime although I do appreciate the historical context I guess? The Berlin wall fell 34 years ago, and the USSR dissolved 32 years ago.

I also feel that we have paid our own defense contractors well enough over my lifetime and I'm not convinced they need more at the moment.

I'm in my 30s and I'm not sure I've ever felt Russian was "one of our greatest geopolitical adversaries" during my lifetime although I do appreciate the historical context I guess? The Berlin wall fell 34 years ago, and the USSR dissolved 32 years ago.

I also feel that we have paid our own defense contractors well enough over my lifetime and I'm not convinced they need more at the moment.
I have to say, I do see your argument and when it comes to the “us” vs “them” we use to justify our stances, I’m always cautious of the motive. I’m done chasing ideas such as “freedoms” and “democracy.”

War is one of our greatest economic levers and wouldn’t put anything past the US to wage for economic gains but Putin is a nasty SOB that I really can’t trust so I’m basically picking my poison to go against him but def not something I’m happy to get into.

Unfortunately, if we don’t back Ukraine, what other options are left?

Last edited:
I think you back Ukraine AND push them to come to a compromise with Russia as Ukraine's #1 financial and military supporter. Instead, Biden is saying Russia needs to be persecuted for war crimes...Not exactly helping to de-escalate the situation.

Biden calls to put Putin on trial for war crimes over Russia killings in Ukraine

It's all just posturing on both sides. If the US comes out and says Ukraine should negotiate, it shows a lack of support which Russia will see as an invite to push further

Well the war has been going on for a year, so whatever strategy the US is employing to end the war peacefully isn't working. Seems like the US strategy is hurt Russia/Putin as much as possible and hope he doesn't nuke Ukraine or the US.

Well the war has been going on for a year, so whatever strategy the US is employing to end the war peacefully isn't working. Seems like the US strategy is hurt Russia/Putin as much as possible and hope he doesn't nuke Ukraine or the US.
I know this is a political thread but I’m not sure we’re never a nuke away from Russia, China, or North Korea.

Personally I feel safer now then I did 3 years ago when someone else leading this country had nuke powers.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
I think you back Ukraine AND push them to come to a compromise with Russia as Ukraine's #1 financial and military supporter. Instead, Biden is saying Russia needs to be persecuted for war crimes...Not exactly helping to de-escalate the situation.

Biden calls to put Putin on trial for war crimes over Russia killings in Ukraine

This would be "prosecution" not "persecution". Not sure if you're being intentionally coy with that wording, but as written you're basically a Kremlin mouthpiece.

Criminals SHOULD be prosecuted.

Edit: I'm extremely disappointed with the Biden administration's stance to not turn over evidence of war crimes to the ICC. I understand their rationale, but I think this would be an amazing time to break with precedent begin acknowledging the ICC.

Last edited:
Disagree completely. Biden has done well on Ukraine. If he capitulates on Ukraine It will embolden China on Taiwan, Encourage Iran to develop nuclear weapons for it would show that nuclear blackmail works, Reward Russia in its war of aggression.
I think people fail to realize that Trump was good for China and Russia. China/Russia were happier when the US was shooting itself in the foot.

Reactions: 3 users
I think people fail to realize that Trump was good for China and Russia. China/Russia were happier when the US was shooting itself in the foot.

I hate Trump, but I give him credit for getting the ball rolling on challenging China.

Reactions: 3 users
How are things going well with Ukraine? How do you see this ending?
Things are going great, though I feel bad for the Ukrainians who're suffering at the hands of the Russians.

Of all the $trillions we've spent on weapons since the Cold War started, the weapons sent to Ukraine have undeniably been the best bang for buck. We're watching the accelerated disintegration of the Russian war machine and we barely even have to lift a finger.

Just think - we made all that stuff for the purpose of shooting Russians as they drove through Poland to invade Europe. Now they're being put to use and not a single NATO life is at risk.

I haven't gotten tired of watching Russians and Russian military hardware get blown up in Ukraine, and I won't until they crawl home on on whatever limbs they have remaining. I don't even care if there's a Hunter Biden laptop and a Zelensky slush fund.

The only way I could be geopolitically happier with Russia's Ukrainian adventure would be if China wasn't profiting from Russia's self destruction.

We also likely blew up the Nordstream pipeline, and as a result became the #1 exporter of Nat Gas to Europe…But this isn’t our war.

LOLWUT

Well the war has been going on for a year, so whatever strategy the US is employing to end the war peacefully isn't working.
You mean the strategy the west employed to encourage the end of the war the last time Russia invaded Ukraine (and took Crimea)? That little bit of appeasement and hope didn't work out so well, no.

Seems like the US strategy is hurt Russia/Putin as much as possible

Yes.

and hope he doesn't nuke Ukraine or the US.

Yeah that won't happen. The nuclear risk is proliferation and loss of control of weapons to non-state actors.

Putin is in no danger of losing control of Russia. He's as rational (and evil) as the North Korean regime.

• Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 14 users

If Russia wasn't such a bad actor that would be an excellent solution since economic partnership is the best deterrent to war in existence. The problem is that Russia wouldn't be content to leave it at that.

Reactions: 5 users
Interesting article.

Republicans are monolithic… last one I looked at showed 85% White, Christian, men.

Dems then end up taking all others and its very hard to get everyone on the same page.

What is good for Black people, may be bad for Asians.
What is a step forward for LGBT, may come by treading on minority parents.

Republicans are happy to (and actively do) trample on whomever’s rights they can as long as their (mostly) White base is happy…

No. But we are the #1 financial and military supporter.
Because we promised Ukraine we would 100% support them if they didnt develop nuclear weapons. They did what they said they would do. Should we be a people of our word? Or should we say like we did 1000x with native Americans “haha. You are so dumb for trusting us.”

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Republicans are monolithic… last one I looked at showed 85% White, Christian, men.

Dems then end up taking all others and its very hard to get everyone on the same page.

What is good for Black people, may be bad for Asians.
What is a step forward for LGBT, may come by treading on minority parents.

Republicans are happy to (and actively do) trample on whomever’s rights they can as long as their (mostly) White base is happy…
Yeah, republicans are stupid as sh1t, almost as dumb as democrats, but not quite (pretty close though).

I’m going to leave this thread open for the time being however this really isn’t the place to start purely political threads. Plenty of other places for that garbage.
Please explain. I’ve asked you this before but didn’t get an answer.

I enjoy conversation with my anesthesia friends here on this forum - about a large number of topics. We disagree, we make fun, we poke the bear a little…it’s great fun.

But you say - can’t do that here!

Then where? Where can I start a political conversation with my good anesthesia friends on SDN? And why is that changing? It never was that way before.

Say what? Which war did Biden start?

Edit: I'm extremely disappointed with the Biden administration's stance to not turn over evidence of war crimes to the ICC. I understand their rationale, but I think this would be an amazing time to break with precedent begin acknowledging the ICC.
Yeah that's never going to happen lol.

Please explain. I’ve asked you this before but didn’t get an answer.

I enjoy conversation with my anesthesia friends here on this forum - about a large number of topics. We disagree, we make fun, we poke the bear a little…it’s great fun.

But you say - can’t do that here!

Then where? Where can I start a political conversation with my good anesthesia friends on SDN? And why is that changing? It never was that way before.

That isn’t a subthread of anesthesia. No way I am posting there.

What am I going to do - come here and ask you all to go look at my thread I created? That’s dumb and low yield.
I think the point is that politics isn't anesthesia specific? None of the other forums on this website allow discussions to this extent. Some threads from here have been punted over to SPF. Its most doctors over there though there is also occasional college kids or students or spouses etc.

Yeah, republicans are stupid as sh1t, almost as dumb as democrats, but not quite (pretty close though).

Its always a battle b/w 2 evils… Rep consistently have more evil policies

Forced pregnancies
Forced births
Cuts to social programs that help feed the poor
Tax cuts for corporations
Anti-LGBT
Anti-women
Anti-minority

There is no hate like the “love” of these “Christians”

I think the point is that politics isn't anesthesia specific? None of the other forums on this website allow discussions to this extent. Some threads from here have been punted over to SPF. Its most doctors over there though there is also occasional college kids or students or spouses etc.

The periodic allowance of these discussions that aren’t allowed elsewhere is what makes this forum great. It’s why you, and other non-anesthesiologists, are here. The EM forum has even gotten more strict to its detriment.

I’ve been here a long time as have you. I used to hang out in the lounge of SDN. I remember some admin named Andrew Doan came through a decade or so ago trying to clean up the lounge and make it PC. I was always like ‘why, it’s the lounge?’ I’m sure he’s long gone now.

There’s only so much one can talk about anesthesia before it’s dull and repetitive. I appreciate the occasional political topic to add spice to the forum and see what anesthesiologists and other physicians are thinking. Especially in these times.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Its always a battle b/w 2 evils… Rep consistently have more evil policies

Forced pregnancies
Forced births
Cuts to social programs that help feed the poor
Tax cuts for corporations
Anti-LGBT
Anti-women
Anti-minority

There is no hate like the “love” of these “Christians”
As you know, this is very debatable and likely could never be decided by someone who sees so obviously through rose colored glasses.

For example, some could argue that affirmative action policies actually hurt minorities and show a lack of love and respect and equal opportunity philosophy is much more supportive and loving for a minority group than equal outcome philosophy. But some obviously feel affirmative action and positive discrimination is helpful.
My point being, your points are not good points.

OBVIOUSLY, you feel the dem solution is better because you think the Republican solution is mean, or discriminatory, or whatever.
But OBVIOUSLY, lots of republicans think the dem solution is discriminatory and mean, or whatever.

• Okay...
As you know, this is very debatable and likely could never be decided by someone who sees so obviously through rose colored glasses.

For example, some could argue that affirmative action policies actually hurt minorities and show a lack of love and respect and equal opportunity philosophy is much more supportive and loving for a minority group than equal outcome philosophy. But some obviously feel affirmative action and positive discrimination is helpful.
My point being, your points are not good points.

OBVIOUSLY, you feel the dem solution is better because you think the Republican solution is mean, or discriminatory, or whatever.
But OBVIOUSLY, lots of republicans think the dem solution is discriminatory and mean, or whatever.

That’s a very specific point to be upset about… and even then, its unclear if true.

No one will find someone that they agree with on everything, so everyone must find what they can live with.

See previous comment for Republicans accept to live it… that is not Christian (since so many pretend to be), not humane etc.

If someone says that stopping abortion is the most important thing to them, then by all means vote for Republicans.

But a lot of Republicans disagree with the major points of their party… abortion, open carry, school funding etc, yet the perceived fear of “Socialism” is so high that they shoot themselves in the foot and vote for them….
That same anti-Socialism sure doesn’t stop them from taking the Dems hard earned $ when their poorly planned electric grid goes out, or when a disaster hits… then its “lets go begging to the federal gov to bail us out”

Hypocrites to the very core…

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Hypocrites to the very core…
I don’t disagree.

However, where I think I would disagree is I feel the same with so many Democratic points. They are hypocrites to the very core.

The funny thing is, if we see with rose colored lenses, we tend to defend the hypocrisy on our own side and make gigantic excuses, or look the other way when zerohedge does a report, or use what aboutsims.

Maybe it’s semantics, but did the United States start the war in Ukraine?
We certainly have been involved with Ukraine for a long time by helping overthrow the pro-Russian government that they had not too long ago.

And all this money isn't really going to Ukraine, but to the industrial military complex

I wish if we had to set a bunch of cash on fire that we’d quit with the proxy wars and fire up the space race again.

At least then we could get a Moonraker remake!

Status
Not open for further replies.