All Branch Topic (ABT) I want to give my recruiter a gift

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Want to give recruiter a thank-you gift for trying his hardest to help me. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm sure a simple "thank you" will do. Perhaps there is a reason that he mentioned the "no gift policy" to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure a simple "thank you" will do. Perhaps there is a reason that he mentioned the "no gift policy" to you.

You're right.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You're right.

The thing is- he really deserves something for his efforts. A "thank you" just doesn't seem enough. Would treating him to dinner be considered a gift?
Yes. You're also not allowed to fraternize with your recruiter.

Thanks for the input; I'll figure something out.
Yeah dude, I wouldn't do that. He was just doing his job. Sounds like he did it very well, and I'm sure it will reflect when it comes time for his evaluations. Besides, you might put him in an uncomfortable situation even though you are showing your sincere gratitude for his services. He can get into serious trouble for that sort of thing.

I think the thank you notes you've given him should be good enough.
Congrats again! I'm super excited you got selected!

Reactions: 2 users
My 2 cents from working with my recruiter. Consider it mutual.

They work with a lot of students, and as you know the application is a long process. I am sure it feels like a real kick in the balls when the scholarships that the recruiters tried so hard to obtain gets turned down by applicants. Their success isn't based on how many students "win" a scholarship but how many students actually signs the dotted line. The greatest "thank you" you can possibly give him is to actually accept the commission.

Reactions: 3 users
My 2 cents from working with my recruiter. Consider it mutual.

They work with a lot of students, and as you know the application is a long process. I am sure it feels like a real kick in the balls when the scholarships that the recruiters tried so hard to obtain gets turned down by applicants. Their success isn't based on how many students "win" a scholarship but how many students actually signs the dotted line. The greatest "thank you" you can possibly give him is to actually accept the commission.

Thank you for the input.

Last edited:
if you told his supervisor he was great and thanked him, then leave them alone after that

If your recruiter went above and beyond it is probably because he needed you more than you needed him.

So my recruiter has been a TOTAL champion. He has gone above and beyond what most recruiters would do, and I seriously owe him so much.

As a result, I want to give him a gift. Problem is he made it very clear that recruiters can't accept gifts...

I've already written multiple letters of appreciation to his supervisors to assist him with promotions, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get past the no gift policy? I want to give him something nice. My budget is $100.
Incisor - What branch of service? Army? If so, there is a tradition to give your first salute at commissioning to an NCO that provided mentorship and to recognize lessons learned from that NCO. With this first salute the new LT gives a silver dollar to the NCO. Look up 'Silver Dollar Salute'. Provide the coin subtly and don't comment on the value at the ceremony.

Reactions: 1 users
Incisor - What branch of service? Army? If so, there is a tradition to give your first salute at commissioning to an NCO that provided mentorship and to recognize lessons learned from that NCO. With this first salute the new LT gives a silver dollar to the NCO. Look up 'Silver Dollar Salute'. Provide the coin subtly and don't comment on the value at the ceremony.

Thank you for commenting!

Last edited:
Thank you for commenting on my thread - I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. That's a fine tradition and suggestion, and exactly what I'm looking for....thank you!

Could you provide me with your expertise on one thing please? What's the difference between the silver dollar coins at the following two links?

1) https://catalog.usmint.gov/american...lver-proof-coin-16EA.html?cgid=silver-dollars

2) https://catalog.usmint.gov/american...circulated-coin-16EG.html?cgid=silver-dollars
Either that or go with a coin from a local coin shop...like one of the 'Peace' coins. It does not need to be a coin in mint condition. It could be a coin from your birth year too.

So my recruiter has been a TOTAL champion. He has gone above and beyond what most recruiters would do, and I seriously owe him so much.

As a result, I want to give him a gift. Problem is he made it very clear that recruiters can't accept gifts...

I've already written multiple letters of appreciation to his supervisors to assist him with promotions, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get past the no gift policy? I want to give him something nice. My budget is $100.

I'm not sure it's recruiter specific but there is a policy about gifting anything worth more than $10 FYI

Being a good applicant and writing a thank you letter to him/supervisor sounds like the best plan. Incorporating a physical gift may end up putting your recruiter in an awkward position career-wise.

Being a good applicant and writing a thank you letter to him/supervisor sounds like the best plan. Incorporating a physical gift may end up putting your recruiter in an awkward position career-wise.

You're right.

Last edited:
Get some of his cards and hand them out when you tell people your experience with him if they are interested. I think that's a great pay back. Just like in dental practice, internal referrals are the best ones.

Get some of his cards and hand them out when you tell people your experience with him if they are interested. I think that's a great pay back. Just like in dental practice, internal referrals are the best ones.

Great recommendation.

Last edited: