I need help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billiken10

I hated headgear.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, here is the deal. I applied for last years class and was waitlisted, which doesn't mean much of anything, at three schools. Here were my stats:

DAT:
AA 19
GC 16
OC 20
BS 18
TS 18
RC 25
QR 18
PA 20

GPA: 3.25 overall
2.76 science

Result: Not matriculated at any of 11 schools.

Now, I'm not surprised that I was not accepted last year and I have worked extensively to see that I improve my position and maintain contact with the schools to which I applied. I have excellent dental experience and contacts, good volunteer work and very good letters of recommendation. I finished my degree (English B.A.) and am now attending a state university as a grad student, taking as many upper division bio classes as possible and working in the clinic at the university's dental school. I have applied to six schools this year and have been deferred by CWRU and have only one contact showing any kind of promise at all. I thought maybe I could retake the DAT and try to punch it up to a 21, so after a 16 month gap I spent three weeks cramming my brain full of the Kaplan DAT book and this morning this is what I got:

DAT:
AA 19
GC 16
OC 19
BS 18
QR 18
RC 24
PA 18
TS 18 (pretty much the same damned score)

My GPA is now a 3.32 overall, with sciGPA of about 2.84-ish.

My question to you all is: If you were me, what would you be doing? I really don't know what else I can do. I might retake the DAT at a later date and give myself more than 3 weeks to prep but outside of that, do I just wait it out again?

Billiken10 :( :scared: :mad: :confused:

PS - Sorry about the novel and thank you to anyone who reads the whole thing...

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools did you apply to, and which ones were you deferred by? Just curious because your stats don't look too horrible to me.

Trookie said:
Which schools did you apply to, and which ones were you deferred by? Just curious because your stats don't look too horrible to me.

stats look solid to me. i think 2 more points on gchem and 2 more points on bio would really help you. overall gpa is fine..you probably applied to non-private schools in the midwest right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of them were non-private midwest schools, yes. But I was unable to get accepted at either Illinois school, and this year both CWRU and NSU have pretty much deferred me and I haven't heard anything either way from BU. I guess I'm just a little frustrated. I know everyone is impatient to hear from schools just like I am...

B10

yeah dude, it looks like the reason schools might not be so quick to respond to your app is because of your sciGPA, sciDAT scores.. my suggestion is you take the DAT one more time, and really, really cram all that bio,chem, and gchem knowledge into your head, and rip out 20s. if you do, you'll get way more positive responses. i think the reason schools are holding back is because they might be doubting your science ability. just a candid opinion. good luck.

With those scores I think you should get into BU. I could be wrong though but from what I've read they have accepted a lot worse than you. I agree with Mr. Benny though. I don't think being an English major helped. BU likes to see some upper level science courses like biochem and cell physiology from what I've heard. Solid overall GPA tho..no worries there. 18 in BIO is pretty good too actually..surprising if BU rejects you. Let us know..

your stats seem pretty solid to me. maybe you should have someone take a look at your personal statement. how about recommendations, is there anyone that could recommend you as having strong potential???

There's a few schools I can think of that will definately give you a shot... but they're private schools... and they're not in the midwest... so if you widen you choices... it might be a sacrifice but it all depends on how bad you want to get this... and how soon... you can retake the DAT and that would help if you dramatically improve on the scores... cuz just keep in mind the schools sees all the scores... and if you take them in such a close time frame... you better bust balls and show big improvement... you can always throw off the earlier DAT as a fluke... with the low sci GPA... you have to show that you know your stuff... kick ass on the science section on the DAT... 24 on the RC... wow thats a great score... it's always a risk to retake the DAT but think positively... Good Luck!!!

yea man dont' give up! you might want to apply to more schools, more private ones too! you should have a good shot with those stats! goodluck!

What are the best private schools to apply to, with the combination of cost and academic excellence? This year I looked at CWRU and Nova...

B10

billiken10 said:
What are the best private schools to apply to, with the combination of cost and academic excellence? This year I looked at CWRU and Nova...

B10

Try Temple and U Detroit Mercy

Quote:

"billiken, i am also from the midwest, ....my question to you...what are your grades in science classes? mostly A and Bs with a D or an F thrown in or mostly B and Cs throughtout most science classes? also...which schools did you apply to this year and what state resident are you? lastly...what do you think was the reason that you didnt get in last year?
i think you might want to post the answer to this on the thread you started cuz this way me and other will be able to give you a more thorough answer.

amir"

Thanks, Amir, for the PM. Because I was an English major in undergrad studies, the only science classes I had were bio, genchem, ochem, physics, and MCB. I basically got all C's with B's in bio, one semester of physics, and a B+ in MCB. I am an Illinois resident and I have found both UIC and SIUE to be excellent schools and highly competitive. The reason I didn't get in last year, to the best of my knowledge, was that my science GPA was too low. I am taking 6 upper div. bio classes over the next year to pull those up. This year I applied to UIC, SIUE, Creighton, Boston U., Nova Southeastern, and Case Western. Still no interviews, :( but I am hopeful that I have a shot for this year still. Hope this helps! :idea:

B10