I need help with dental school selection.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laktario

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA 3.9 DAT 23 AA
Non-trad post-bacc
Work experience: registered nurse for 2 years at a hospital)
Research: 1000hr (at 4-year university, not a big institution non-dental related)
Dental shadowing: 400hr
Volunteer: 200hr
ORM
Bilingual (non-Spanish)
Residency: Texas
School list: any OOS dental schools

Planning to apply to all 4 Texas dental schools and I need some help with deciding on OOS schools.
Tuition is the biggest factor that I care about but I am not sure which school provide scholarships and provide resident tuition after one year or so.

I am planning to apply for about 10.

Any help will be appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GPA 3.9 DAT 23 AA
Non-trad post-bacc
Work experience: registered nurse for 2 years at a hospital)
Research: 1000hr (at 4-year university, not a big institution non-dental related)
Dental shadowing: 400hr
Volunteer: 200hr
ORM
Bilingual (non-Spanish)
Residency: Texas

Planning to apply to all 4 Texas dental schools and I need some help with deciding on OOS schools.
Tuition is the biggest factor that I care about but I am not sure which school provide scholarships and provide resident tuition after one year or so.

I am planning to apply for about 10.

Any help will be appreciated! :)
School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

Reactions: 1 users
I agree it's a little easier to show us your work first. But being from Texas, you probably already know your chances getting admitted OOS are not great because enough admissions committees know that you'd probably stay in-state if you get admitted because it costs you much less. I'd also recommend providing the information from the WAMC template so we can get a better idea of fit with mission as opposed to viewing you as just a bunch of test results and checkboxes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree it's a little easier to show us your work first. But being from Texas, you probably already know your chances getting admitted OOS are not great because enough admissions committees know that you'd probably stay in-state if you get admitted because it costs you much less. I'd also recommend providing the information from the WAMC template so we can get a better idea of fit with mission as opposed to viewing you as just a bunch of test results and checkboxes.
That is definitely true for medical schools, but with a fairly limited number of dental student seats in Texas, most Texans end up applying to OOS schools as well. The price of dental school OOS is very steep but some Texans end up paying it to get a place.

Reactions: 1 user
agreed