I need some help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CordialAmoeba

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am active duty air force and I am currently stationed overseas. I am a dental assistant and I am trying to take my prerequisite classes, unfortunately many are online. So I'm worried about my chances of getting in dental school later... I don't want to wait to take classes until I get back to the states, since that's a good 2 years from now. Also. I'll be about 32 by the time I'll be able to apply, so I don't want to take forever.

Has anyone else gotten in after military service? Will they understand?

Members don't see this ad.

Adequate preparation is most critical to gaining admission and, more importantly, surviving dental school. Online courses may or may not provide you with what you need.

Last edited:
I would contact the specific schools you’re interested in and ask if they accept online course credit before registering for anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I do not have a military background, but I'm a D2 at University of Louisville. There are a handful of guys in my class that took the same route you're taking, and they are doing just fine! Do whatever is your cheapest option. As long as you have a good work ethic, you should do fine in dental school. Also, the school will love you because of your military background and your age. You would be the epitome of a "diverse" applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
So I am active duty air force and I am currently stationed overseas. I am a dental assistant and I am trying to take my prerequisite classes, unfortunately many are online. So I'm worried about my chances of getting in dental school later... I don't want to wait to take classes until I get back to the states, since that's a good 2 years from now. Also. I'll be about 32 by the time I'll be able to apply, so I don't want to take forever.

Has anyone else gotten in after military service? Will they understand?

Also, have you connected with any of the dentists you work with in the AF? Try to get them to connect you to the HPSP recruiter they worked with. They can give you an idea of which DS are military friendly.