I m not sure whether to take the Kap Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, let me give u little bit of my background.

-I have been living in the U.S. for 6 years, and my SAT english score was between 200~300(200 is free :eek: )
-I went to Community College(CC) for 1 and a half year.
-GPA was around 3.8 , science GPA was 4.0
-I took Calculus Honor, first general bio, 1st and 2nd general Chem, 1st gen physics. I got A from all of these courses, but they just gave it to me for being nice and being quite in the class :eek:
-so basically, I don't know anything about anything :eek:

-this is still the 2nd year of college but now i am in the university.
-B in 2nd gen bio, A in 2nd physics.
-I am bio major student so I am going to take cell,animal, plant bio maybe next year.
-I also need to take Organic chemistry next year.

I hope these information don't confuse u to give me some advice of whether I need to take Kaplan course or not.

Most people say that the course was just waste of time.

But I have a close friend who is taking MCAT Kaplan course, and he told me that it's very helpful to him.

Anyway, as i mentioned above, I either didn't learn or my CC professors didn't teach me well in 1st bio, and 1st,2nd gen Chem. I didn't take Organic chemistry yet.

Do you think I can take Kap course and learn much from it? I didn't even learn Organic Chem, so do u think I will just sit there and waste my time if i take the course now?

I mean, I went to Kap course website and found out that they cover each subject in less than 3 hours, and that sounds very good to a person like me who desperately need some boost.

Here is the schedule below.

Class Subjects Day Time

1. Diagnostic Exam Tuesday 6:00pm-9:30pm

2. Orientation, PAT I & Physics I Thursday 6:00pm-9:30pm

3. Biology I Tuesday 6:00pm-9:00pm

4. General Chemistry I Thursday 6:00pm-9:00pm

5. Organic Chemistry I Tuesday 6:00pm-9:00pm

6. Reading Comprehension I Thursday 6:00pm-9:00pm

7. Quantitative Reasoning I Tuesday 6:00pm-9:00pm

8. Midterm Exam Thursday 6:00pm-10:30pm

9. PAT II & Physics II Tuesday 6:00pm-9:00pm

10. Biology II Thursday 6:00pm-9:00pm

11. General Chemistry II Tuesday 6:00pm-9:00pm

12. Organic Chemistry II Thursday 6:00pm-9:00pm

13. Quantitative Reasoning & Reading Comp II Tuesday 6:00pm-9:00pm

14. Final Exam Thursday 6:00pm-10:30pm

Members don't see this ad.

joonkimdds said:
But I have a close friend who is taking MCAT Kaplan course, and he told me that it's very helpful to him....

I've taught for Kaplan as an MCAT teacher. Their MCAT practice materials are good. Their DAT materials are full of errata. I remember reporting 30-50 mistakes...

joonkimdds said:
....Do you think I can take Kap course and learn much from it? I didn't even learn Organic Chem, so do u think I will just sit there and waste my time if i take the course now?

It's best to study before enrolling in any prep course.

joonkimdds said:
I mean, I went to Kap course website and found out that they cover each subject in less than 3 hours...

Not true.
ex.

+
---------------------------------------
6 hours

dat_student said:
Not true.
ex.

+
---------------------------------------
6 hours

I meant each section. Bio1 and Bio2 seperately

i don't know what about the course but that kapplan blue book for bio is a freaking joke. Not a bio major and study that alone is a fatal error!!! Even if you're a bio major, you must go back and review your General Bio. Kaplan's blue book got good stuff for g-chem and orgo, although their tests in the book and the cd with that book = whatever...not a good modeling test, too much calculation. For me i use schaums bio, kapplan's blue book for the chemistry, dat achiever, and topscore! I hate the way kaplan marketing their prep programs...they're saying..."y'all stupid, you need us to get good scores". well that's my take. good luck