I know the GRE is important, but how important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpthopeful14788

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to PT schools this cycle and am really nervous about my GRE. I have a 3.75 cGPA and I believe around the same for my major GPA but haven't calculated it in a few weeks so I don't remember exactly. I will have about 300 hours by the time I submit my apps (probably in September) and more to come in the Fall, and what I feel are pretty good LOR and college experiences/awards/extracurriculars. When I took the GRE the first time, I got a 291 (145V & 146Q, 4.0AW) and most of my schools want a min of 300 and around 155 for each section. So I am retaking it, but as much as I study, I worry I won't improve a ton simply because I'm just not great at standardized tests. I'm applying to 2 programs that have waived their GRE requirement, though they aren't really in my top choices. If I can only improve by a few points, do you think my chances are totally shot? Also, my hours are all in the same place because of COVID, and although there is a place I explained that, I worry that will also make me a weak candidate. What do you think? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some schools have a cutoff where they will toss your app out if you aren't above (usually) 300. If they state a minimum and you don't meet it, I wouldn't bother to apply. If they don't have a minimum, then it really doesn't matter that much if the rest of the app is strong. 300 hrs is good and everyone is in the COVID boat so don't worry about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying to PT schools this cycle and am really nervous about my GRE. I have a 3.75 cGPA and I believe around the same for my major GPA but haven't calculated it in a few weeks so I don't remember exactly. I will have about 300 hours by the time I submit my apps (probably in September) and more to come in the Fall, and what I feel are pretty good LOR and college experiences/awards/extracurriculars. When I took the GRE the first time, I got a 291 (145V & 146Q, 4.0AW) and most of my schools want a min of 300 and around 155 for each section. So I am retaking it, but as much as I study, I worry I won't improve a ton simply because I'm just not great at standardized tests. I'm applying to 2 programs that have waived their GRE requirement, though they aren't really in my top choices. If I can only improve by a few points, do you think my chances are totally shot? Also, my hours are all in the same place because of COVID, and although there is a place I explained that, I worry that will also make me a weak candidate. What do you think? Thanks!!
If schools say they want scores of 300 and/or 155, don't waste your time and money applying to those schools unless you get the minimal score. Otherwise, your application will be tossed since you are not meeting the minimum requirements. It is great that you still have options for schools that waived GRE! maybe it's worth reconsidering your school priorities. If those no- GRE schools are "low priority" for you for things like "bad vibe" or "less friendly faculty," or having less amenities for students, etc, those things are not really important when you are in PT school. if your priorities are based on moving vs not moving to another state or the amount of student loans, those things are important of course and you would have to weigh if high tuition and higher cost of living worth it. Good luck!