Am I a good candidate for PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iluvchickens

Reaction score
Major: B.S. in Psychology, graduating Fall ‘22
GPA: CC: 3.87 Uni: approx 3.63 by graduation
GRE: taking it June 30th, I plan on retaking it if it’s not good enough
LOR: 3 from PTs from the same company, different clinics; 1 from sociology professor; and food pantry volunteer coordinator
Observation Hours: 600+ as PT aide outpatient ortho. Plan on shadowing an inpatient prosthetics PT & hospital PT
Extracurriculars:
-50 hrs volunteer nurse aide on cardiac unit
-approx 300 hrs food bank volunteer (still doing this)
-40 hrs social work volunteer
-Hobbies: FWIW, lifting weights, reading nonfiction, and making art
Certifications: CPR
Plan on applying to: VCU, ODU, Radford; UNTHSC, & UTMB
Interviewed: VCU, Radford, UNTHSC, UTMB hybrid (ODU didn't do an interview)

I’ve taken most of my classes at CC for the cost, also got my associates then transferred. I’ve only taken my psychology courses (9) at the uni and 2 required electives. I cannot get financial aid due to them basing it off of my parent’s income despite the loans being in my name. This may look bad, but I believe my passion and personal essay will speak for itself. I’m very passionate about knowledge and emphasizing patient education, so hopefully they won’t view me negatively given my explanations.

What are my chances?

Update:​

Waitlisted: Radford
Rejected: UNTHSC
Accepted: UTMB Hybrid, ODU, Radford

I'm accepting the spot at UTMB. I figured I'd update this post for people in the future. I spent a lot of time browsing and research on this forum and also on reddit. My best advice to future applicants is to explain your passion and really understand what about PT that interests you. for me, I couldn't see myself doing anything else. I considered PA, but you never know what kind of doctor you'll end up under. There's productivity requirements in almost every aspect of medicine, but I'd rather be my own boss or have some autonomy over treatment. PT is a versatile field. There's a lot of negativity around it, but if you are not disillusioned with it thinking it's only outpatient, you'll probably be more successful and happy with your choice =)
Also, please don't choose any career based on what your family wants!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
LOR: 3 from PTs from the same company, different clinics; 1 from sociology professor; and food pantry volunteer coordinator
Observation Hours: 600+ as PT aide outpatient ortho. Plan on shadowing an inpatient prosthetics PT & hospital PT
Extracurriculars:
Plan on applying to: VCU, ODU, Radford; TWU, UTMB, and Baylor in htx

I’ve taken most of my classes at CC for the cost, also got my associates then transferred. I’ve only taken my psychology courses (9) at the uni and 2 required electives. I cannot get financial aid due to them basing it off of my parent’s income despite the loans being in my name. This may look bad, but I believe my passion and personal essay will speak for itself. I’m very passionate about knowledge and emphasizing patient education, so hopefully they won’t view me negatively given my explanations.

What are my chances?
What is it you are concerned about looking bad - credits coming from a CC? Most schools don't care. My AS is from a CC and I never had a problem.
You look like you're in really good shape so as long as your GRE meet requirements, I wouldn't worry. And you could always apply to schools that don't require GREs if you don't do well.

Reactions: 1 users
Extracurriculars:
Plan on applying to: VCU, ODU, Radford; TWU, UTMB, and Baylor in htx

What are my chances?
Very good candidate! But I do not know how competitive the schools where you are applying are. Check stats of their average accepted students to make sure where you stand with them.